Hesitant to use your EDC?

This is why I usually buy nice USED knives, not hard used but ones with a scuff or two. Once I started upgrading to higher priced folders I found myself doing the same thing...I would go get a pair of scissors or something vs just pulling out my knife so I made a conscious decision to buy nice, used knives so I will actually use them. I found that I hated to make the first mark on a new blade :rolleyes:

I do have some that I bought new and probably will not use, but I also very rarely carry them, and I do use any of the few that I carry. Even the $300+ used CRK, MT, etc. that I will use before using a new $80 ZDP Delica. Everyone has their little idiosyncrasies.

Traditional multi blade folders rock, but i want to smile every time i pull a blade (for work) & if i drop 3 bills on a blade I'm going to use it and love pulling it out. Keep a stone close.
I always have a box blade in my pouches, but i don't always have them on; if they're on i use the razor 9/10 of the time.

This is why I usually buy nice USED knives, not hard used but ones with a scuff or two.

I will buy new or used. I figure if it is a knife that I want to use, even if I buy new it will quickly become used. My knives don't really get beat up a lot and sometimes I buy used knives with more wear on them than I will cause. Today I was carrying a Benchmade with black blade that I bought used. It had/has more wear on the black coating and on the edge than I would put on it in a long time, but I put a good edge on it and carry it. I was carrying it today clipped to my jeans pocket and to my slacks pocket tonight when I went to a party.

I have been derided for having at least 2 folders on me. Usually by someone who has none and, worse, asks to use mine.
Going in to work a night shift soon (boiler operator). Tonight's selection - right front pocket has the Manix XL in it, to be used without hesitation on whatever might need cutting.
Zipped vest pocket has my very sharp SB Delica in it, for smaller or finer cutting if needed.
Bases covered.

My very idea behind an EDC blade is that I can use it for every cutting task every day. If the knife gets dulled, nicked, scratched by it- I'll sharpen /repair it. Thats the reason I only use a knife that can handle most stuff that needs to be done. I would not edc a knife where I would be hesistant because of its frailty/price or replacabilty....

I have several that are safe queens due to their collector value, they weren't bought as such but became that way. ALL others are users

Nope. Strider SMF cuts anything and everything that I need it to cut. I resharpen as needed, don't care about prettiness.

I have had knives that were too rare/expensive/pretty to use and had to carry a spare user. It made me wonder what the purpose of the pretty one was, so those days are gone. One primary folder to do it all, and then I add a use specific fixed blade as needed.

I have multiple EDCs and generally don't have an issue using whatever I'm carrying, whether it's my CRK large Insingo, or my $13 SAK Recruit. I generally carry a larger, expensive knife which is carried for the joy of having a really nice knife in the pocket, while the smaller SAK (or one of several Traditionals I own) tends to do the lion's share of my cutting tasks. That's merely because most of my cutting tasks are small, since I drive a desk all day. For larger tasks, I use the larger knife. I DO have several knives in my collection that I don't carry often, but hey, that's ok. I enjoy owning 'em.

I picked up a few Screwpop Utility Knife 2.0's for the utility work/box cutting. Saves the main blade for mkre serious work.

If I'm hesitant to use a new knife then I sell it while the resell value is still high. I used to treat my more expensive blades with extreme care to prevent the slightest scuff or scratch, but they soon became more of a burden than anything.

I personally get the most enjoyment from just using my knives for any task that should arise whether I have my Rat1 in my pocket or my $800 balisong designed for flipping.

Consider yourself lucky to have the choice. My workplace requires us to use a company provided utility knife. No rules against carrying our own knives (yet) we just can't use them.
My workplace has the same policy. IDGAF, I still use my own blades, I'm more scared of those crap ass razor blades chipping and flying into my eye.

Never regretted using my mini HS for everything - you name it, it's done it. It's the best part of having it. Only regret not buying more.

IMG_4442e.jpg
Don't see the sense in beating up a classic--kind of like running a '55 chevy in a demo derby. Sure you can do it, but why??

Don't see the sense in beating up a classic--kind of like running a '55 chevy in a demo derby. Sure you can do it, but why??

My bet is that it wasn't a "classic" when he bought it. It was just an afck. Back in the day they were quite common.

I've treated knives that are considered classics, "grails" to some, like $10 beaters. Meh, they just look sexier with character to me.

My bet is that it wasn't a "classic" when he bought it. It was just an afck. Back in the day they were quite common.

I've treated knives that are considered classics, "grails" to some, like $10 beaters. Meh, they just look sexier with character to me.
Neither was the Chevy.

Back