Hesitant to use your EDC?

Don't see the sense in beating up a classic--kind of like running a '55 chevy in a demo derby. Sure you can do it, but why??

I got that knife in '98. Paid $100 for it at a gun show, my first locking folder.
A vendor there had a huge display with hunderds of models and dozens of brands. Spent an hour looking through all of them, holding them, open/close, etc. After deciding on an AFCK, couldn't decide on the size, so bought both the 812 & 800. It didn't take long to figure out the 800 was too big and clumsy, it's set unused ever since.

What you see there is ~15 years of everyday carry and use, and it was the only knife I carried and used during that time. That means hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, work, home, etc. It lived clipped to my pocket during all waking hours, and sometime sleeping. I worked, and still work a job where knife use is required most every day. It's been used to do things that I've learned here, would give some a heart attack. It never phased me in the least. Just a different mindset I guess, it's just a tool, and a damn good one.

Last year I decided it was time to get another one. To my dismay, not only did they stop production of them long ago, no one even offered a knife in that steel anymore. On top of that, I've never seen one come up for sale, ever.

So, that's what led me here to bladeforum, to research present day knives and blade steels, to find an equal or better replacement. So far it's been failure.

Side notes:
Bought a '67 Camaro SS in '76. Paid $1200 for it. Drove the shit out of it for 4 years and sold it for $1700. Then bought a '71 vette for $5500. Drove the shit out of it for 2 years and sold it for $5700.
What really hurts is the convertible '69 Camaro indy pace car I passed on, thought $1500 was too much at the time.

If we only knew then what we know now...
Ah well, at least I've had the pleasure to actually experience using some classics.

I have an ESEE izula that gets hard use/abuse tasks as a true edc. My pocket knives rotate an most definitely get used, but in a lighter role. Also keep a mini pry bar on my key chain.

I got that knife in '98. Paid $100 for it at a gun show, my first locking folder.
A vendor there had a huge display with hunderds of models and dozens of brands. Spent an hour looking through all of them, holding them, open/close, etc. After deciding on an AFCK, couldn't decide on the size, so bought both the 812 & 800. It didn't take long to figure out the 800 was too big and clumsy, it's set unused ever since.

What you see there is ~15 years of everyday carry and use, and it was the only knife I carried and used during that time. That means hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, work, home, etc. It lived clipped to my pocket during all waking hours, and sometime sleeping. I worked, and still work a job where knife use is required most every day. It's been used to do things that I've learned here, would give some a heart attack. It never phased me in the least. Just a different mindset I guess, it's just a tool, and a damn good one.

Last year I decided it was time to get another one. To my dismay, not only did they stop production of them long ago, no one even offered a knife in that steel anymore. On top of that, I've never seen one come up for sale, ever.

So, that's what led me here to bladeforum, to research present day knives and blade steels, to find an equal or better replacement. So far it's been failure.

Side notes:
Bought a '67 Camaro SS in '76. Paid $1200 for it. Drove the shit out of it for 4 years and sold it for $1700. Then bought a '71 vette for $5500. Drove the shit out of it for 2 years and sold it for $5700.
What really hurts is the convertible '69 Camaro indy pace car I passed on, thought $1500 was too much at the time.

If we only knew then what we know now...
Ah well, at least I've had the pleasure to actually experience using some classics.

Amen, buddy! I knew you had the opportunity to use a nice knife, and it turns out you got to experience some grade A rides too.

Hats off to you sir. :thumbup:

Amen, buddy! I knew you had the opportunity to use a nice knife, and it turns out you got to experience some grade A rides too.

Hats off to you sir. :thumbup:

Thanks! Hopefully someday, someone will reproduce a mini afck style knife with the appropriate hss blade.
That Camaro is the only vehicle I've regretted letting go. It was red with white racing stripes and black ribbed inserts on the hood. I can't even find an exact picture of it on the web.

Hesitant to use your EDC?
No, else it wouldn't be EDC. I'm not carrying something I'm unwilling to use. Let's be totally honest here --- If you are carrying a knife everyday but are unwilling to use it, the knife is really nothing more than jewelry.

Just because you carry an edc knife doesn't mean you aren't aloud to use other cutting tools that are better suited to the job at hand.

Just because you carry an edc knife doesn't mean you aren't aloud to use other cutting tools that are better suited to the job at hand.

Thank you. I know I said that I was done with this thread, but I'm starting to think that any one who says, "why carry a knife if you won't use it?" Is either trolling or didn't read the entire thread. Cuz like I said like 10 times now - I use the hell out of that thing! I just simply chose to use a better tool for the job..

Thank you. I know I said that I was done with this thread, but I'm starting to think that any one who says, "why carry a knife if you won't use it?" Is either trolling or didn't read the entire thread. Cuz like I said like 10 times now - I use the hell out of that thing! I just simply chose to use a better tool for the job..
How is an inferior disposable razor better for the job? That's what you have the knife for. Save the razor for things that will chip or break your knife.

They read it, they are just going by what you originally said. Perhaps you could edit the original statement? Either way, collectors will tell you to baby it, and users will tell you to use it for anything that won't screw it up.

A box cutter cuts a box WAY easier than a super sharp Sebbie. For anyone that disagrees.. I think you're knutz!

It takes longer to get a box cutter out, use it, then put it away. Not the point, anyway. The knife you choose to carry is superior because it is yours. It is your tool. You carry it to use it. For the record, Sebenza's ain't that great anyway, but that's a whole other thing. Just saying that you won't find any joy in using a box cutter and leaving your own knife in your pocket.

If you want to insult people who are offering their opinions and insight because you don't like the answers, maybe you should delete the thread, and go converse with a mirror.

It's not trolling. It's an honest question. Why would anyone carry a knife they won't use? Knives are tools for slicing and cutting, and, believe it or not, there really are those who actually loathe using their little precious EDC to slice or cut anything even if it is the proper tool at hand.

Last edited:
I see no reason to ruin a dedicated EDC carry knife with repetitive everyday tasks. That's what Leathermen, Swiss army knives, cheap folders, and folding utility knives are for.
A leatherman, SAK, or cheap folder may be a man's EDC. Everyday I have a Vic Farmer on my belt. It's a great tool. Not sure how "repetitive everyday tasks" will ruin a more expensive knife if those tasks won't ruin a leatherman, SAK, or cheap folder.

Pretty crazy some folks carry an EVERY DAY CARRY cutting tool and then say they don't use it for EVERY DAY CUTTING tasks :confused:

Op, you asked a question and don't like the answers you're getting... Did you expect wholesome affirmation?

I'm in the minority here but I carry a knife every day and it's oftentimes a different knife than the knife I carried the day before. I suppose it could be said that while I own a good number of EDC sized folders - I don't have an EDC.

When clothing allows my preferred EDC set-up (oops, maybe shouldn't call it "ED" C) I mean my "carry" set-up would be a preferred folder ranging, in my case, from a Sebbie to a Cold Steel Voyager but usually an Emerson ... folding box cutter/utility knife and a multi-tool. Needless to say, the aforementioned does not speak to dedicated activity driven situation such as hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I also have a small SAK in a wallet along with a Bic lighter. Oftentimes, due to dress and circumstances I will only have a folder and the SAK.

All of that said, my primary folder typically serves double duty as a main knife for cutting stuff and a potential SD implement. In the case of the former, the folding box cutter/utility knife gets the uses that are deserving of a knife with a disposable blade and the primary folder cuts just about everything else. In the case of the latter, I hope I never have to use it - but it's nice to know it's there.

I said all of that to say this - I derive happiness from my knives in many ways, even from using them - but not exclusively so. From placing the order to waiting for the truck, opening the packaging, sharing about it with your friends and on BF and, strange as it seems, carrying and looking at them sometimes. So, to answer your question, I would have used a box cutter and kept my primary folder for something else - even if that something else didn't come about that particular day.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority here but I carry a knife every day and it's oftentimes a different knife than the knife I carried the day before. I suppose it could be said that while I own a good number of EDC sized folders - I don't have an EDC.

When clothing allows my preferred EDC set-up (oops, maybe shouldn't call it "ED" C) I mean my "carry" set-up would be a preferred folder ranging, in my case, from a Sebbie to a Cold Steel Voyager but usually an Emerson ... folding box cutter/utility knife and a multi-tool. Needless to say, the aforementioned does not speak to dedicated activity driven situation such as hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I also have a small SAK in a wallet along with a Bic lighter. Oftentimes, due to dress and circumstances I will only have a folder and the SAK.

All of that said, my primary folder typically serves double duty as a main knife for cutting stuff and a potential SD implement. In the case of the former, the folding box cutter/utility knife gets the uses that are deserving of a knife with a disposable blade and the primary folder cuts just about everything else. In the case of the latter, I hope I never have to use it - but it's nice to know it's there.

I said all of that to say this - I derive happiness from my knives in many ways, even from using them - but not exclusively so. From placing the order to waiting for the truck, opening the packaging, sharing about it with your friends and on BF and, strange as it seems, carrying and looking at them sometimes. So, to answer your question, I would have used a box cutter and kept mt primary folder for something else - even if that something else didn't come about that particular day.

Im probably in the minority as well because I think a box cutter is a more effective tool for cutting up cardboard boxes then most if not all the folders I own. If I only have to cut up a box or two Ill use whatevers in my pocket but if it's a large number of boxes then I'll grab a box cutter because it makes the job easier/faster.

I've worked in environments where carrying a knife or box cutter is a no go. Keys will also make short work of the packaging tape on boxes.

Back