Hesitant to use your EDC?

You guys know this thread is five years old.

With that said, use the right tool for the job. If a utility blade is available to cut up cardboard, use that unless you EDC will do a better job.

I dream of opportunities to use my knives. I use them whenever I can. I don’t work or hunt or fish anymore and live in the suburbs, so the opportunity doesn’t come up much.

I usually carry a couple of knives, one is very carefully sharpened and I don't use it on the extremely unlikely chance that it needs to be used for SD. The other one I use regularly.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in sitting at a table wasting time ill never get back to put an edge on a knife I wont use on something as light duty as a box. Use those things.

Right tool for the job.
I'd have used my Stanley 10-499 box/utility knife instead of one of my GEC or other EDC.
A package of replacement blades for the Stanley costs a lot less than a new (or used) GEC, or most other brand and pattern knife.
Yes, I could resharpen the GEC, no problem. However, every time you sharpen on a stone, you lose forever a tiny bit of blade steel.
It may well take a couple years of consistent use and sharpening's . to accomplish it, but I have less than zero desire to sharpen even one of my Rough Ryder, (SMKW) Marbles, or (Taylor/BTI) Schrade, that I might be able to replace, let alone one of my GEC's I know I'd never be able to afford to replace, down to a toothpick.

Those vintage/antique knives that have 1/4 or more of a blade or blades sharpened away I find depressing to look at.
Yes, they were probably "well loved" by the original owner (who likely enough only had one knife to drop in his or her pocket each A.M.; not a cigar box full or more to choose from and to spread the wear around) ... if it wasn't well loved, chances are it would have been "replaced" or regulated to "Go to Meetin'" only duty, long before there was any noticeable blade wear.
And, yes, they were used as a tool, as is only fitting, and yeah, the original owner probably "got his (or her) money's worth out of it" (always a "good" thing) before it was finally retired and replaced.

mm -- as mankinds oldest tool, you need to use that tool, cut tape, food, cardboard, clothing, people(if you have to), if you are a collector, don't even pocket it, it diminishes the value, and if you are one of those people who spends 3k on a rockstead knife and uses it --- well, good on ya, that's brave of you, and you deserve a gold star sticker

It's funny, where I live it's practically speaking not illegal to carry a knife if you need one, but it is it is kind of legally risky to carry one everyday just in case you'd need it. Therefore I don't generally carry a knife, but a knifeless multitool instead. I've had the exact same one on me for going on five years now.

That thing I use all the time, partially because I need it to do my job, but also just for all sorts of things. The cool thing about it is that I can literally carry it on me all the time, I never have to make a conscious decision to put it on me (that I'd have to do with a knife, because of the laws). Because of that, I've just gotten used to finding reasons to use it in all sorts of situations. It's just always there.

4wnfwHG.jpg

Not sure OP still around to read this thread, but I think this is your hobby/money, use the EDC however way you want to.

If you need to constantly cut a large volume of boxes, and you want to enjoy using your own knife and don't mind the sharpening, I think it's perfectly fine to use your own EDC instead of the box cutter.

view

It’s an old thread but since it’s relevant I’ll add my 2 cents. I’ve carried a Buck 110 everyday for over 30 years cut everything that needed cutting and usually kept it sharp. I wore out 2 of them and had them re-bladed at Buck. So I am not afraid of using my knives.

In the last couple years my job evolved to the point That I am cutting up several hot water heater boxes a day. Not cutting tape to open a box, but cutting through heavy dirty cardboard 20 feet of cuts at a time.

I tried to find a decent folding/retracting utility knife and they all suck. I went back old school to a Stanley fixed blade utility knife for work edc and could not be happier.

it really is the best tool for the job.

My first construction job you could only carry a fixed blade Stanley knife. The boss said all others were too dangerous. His reasoning was if it’s a fixed blade you know it’s open and treat it accordingly.

My next job we weren’t allowed to carry the fixed blade knife because that boss thought they were more dangerous. Lol.

I forgot how much I liked that old Stanley knife and I’m glad to be carrying it again.

Last edited:
Back