HEST Inverted Belt Carry, quick draw video

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how i generally carry my HEST.

Neat huh?

[youtube]qVyG-5UovDA[/youtube]

Pretty cool... better watch out though! That pry bar will hang on something & you'll lose her. It's especially easy to do when you're on a soft surface (grass, etc.) because you won't hear it fall! Congrats on the HEST!

That's how I carry any fixed blade small enough to. It really is the best way IMO. As long as the sheath is secure, it's not going anywhere.

I don't think it is any quicker. If you want to have it in a reverse grip configuration pulling up like a normal sheath will have the knife where you want it, and quicker.

If you're going reverse grip I would assume it's for like a fighting reason, so you want your hands up anyways. I would think it would be easier to just pull straight up, maybe having the sheath in a forward tilted position on your belt.

I guess I just don't see the point in pulling it down, just to bring it back up.

that doesn't tear into your car's seat?

i see why the downward draw works better, since an upward draw would require it to be worn outside of the t-shirt, or you'd be fishing around under your shirt for the knife.

I don't think it is any quicker. If you want to have it in a reverse grip configuration pulling up like a normal sheath will have the knife where you want it, and quicker.

If you're going reverse grip I would assume it's for like a fighting reason, so you want your hands up anyways. I would think it would be easier to just pull straight up, maybe having the sheath in a forward tilted position on your belt.

I guess I just don't see the point in pulling it down, just to bring it back up.

I carry mine edge forward, and draw into a normal (hammer) grip. Drawing down just makes more sense than drawing up for me. Especially when crouched or in tight spaces. There's less bending of the elbow and it's a faster draw.

Should I carry my 1911 that way as well? Before you answer don't say they are two different tools. From the sounds of it you are carrying this way as a means of self defense. It is hard to demonstrate techniques over the internet but I can assure you that this technique over a normal carry will not save you when needed. I think it is briefly hinted on earlier in this post. I never want to get into a fight with my arms down to my side.

I guess it is part of the improvement of society that we can grow up now days with never getting in a simple schoolyard brawl. There is a distinct difference in fighting when I take the two guys of opposite experience and throw them against each other. Yes I have done this in a controlled environment when training people how to fight close.

I don't mean any discontent with this post, just voicing my opinion on the internet. I don't know you or your background so I can't say that the ergonomics for your technique just plain work better for you than anything else you have tried.

Partisan, I'm not sure if you're referencing me or Joben, so I'll answer just in case.

Should I carry my 1911 that way as well? Before you answer don't say they are two different tools

No. That would be silly. It's not that they're different tools, but they're gripped differently. Bending the wrist instead of the elbow to draw a knife is easy. Bending the wrist instead of the elbow to draw a pistol is near impossible.

From the sounds of it you are carrying this way as a means of self defense. It is hard to demonstrate techniques over the internet but I can assure you that this technique over a normal carry will not save you when needed. I think it is briefly hinted on earlier in this post. I never want to get into a fight with my arms down to my side.

Not self defense in my case. Purely for utility. I live in the woods. I carry a knife everyday and this way is a more comfortable draw when I need my knife for skinning, branch trimming, etc., especially in awkward positions.

I'll leave the rest as I figure it's in reference to carry for self defense.

No. That would be silly. It's not that they're different tools, but they're gripped differently. Bending the wrist instead of the elbow to draw a knife is easy. Bending the wrist instead of the elbow to draw a pistol is near impossible.

Not to mention having a loaded .45 ACP pointed towards yourself the entire time you carry it probably wouldn't be the best idea.

The post was directed to whomever decides to read it.

Kiah-From what you describe I can see how it make sense to you ergonomically for your application. The same would go for guys that carry their sidearms on their chest.

example: over fighting in the sandbox guys carry their pistols on their chest for two reasons.
1. Pistols show you are generally in a leadership position and it commands more respect from the local leaders.
2. It is easier to get to when in a vehicle, hatch of a vehicle, crawling, or when in a meeting when you are sitting down and may need to access your sidearm quickly.

Not to mention having a loaded .45 ACP pointed towards yourself the entire time you carry it probably wouldn't be the best idea.

And then there's that. :thumbup::)

maybe a pistol was a bad example. How about a baton or pepper spray on a duty belt used for self defense? Perhaps those should be carried inverted?

Pretty cool... better watch out though! That pry bar will hang on something & you'll lose her. It's especially easy to do when you're on a soft surface (grass, etc.) because you won't hear it fall! Congrats on the HEST!

Actually so far the only time i've almost lost my HEST was on the first or second day i had it. It was on my belt, tip down, right side, towards the back. As i sat down in a chair the pry bar tip dug in a bit, and as i settled my weight in i felt it pop out of the sheath.

---------------
And as far as what Partisian is going on about...I did not endorse this as a self defense carry method. It's just the most practical and comfortable way to get at my knife with the least fumbling as i use it through the day. Of course, being the easiest and lest fumbly way i've found it's also quite fast...so i can see why your brain went there.

I draw into a reverse grip because with the knife facing that way it's easy for me to get my hand placed properly. Basicaly as you have your hand at your side you grasp and bring your hand up. It's not as complicated and backwards as you make it sound...you're just raising your arm. :rolleyes:

Maybe it works for some folks, but i tried inverted belt carry set up to draw into a hammer grip. It just didn't work. It's a little hard to describe without doing another video but...

I ended either with my shoulder dropped weird, or my wrist rotated uncomfortably often with the knife ending up almost behind my back instead of presented up front ready for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back