HEST Mod

I know several of you have used washers on lanyards to have a handy screwdriver for the HEST screws. I couldn't find any washers that would work for me too well. The smaller ones that fit in the screwheads were too small for my fat fingers. The larger ones wouldn't fit in the screws cause they were too thick.

Plus, I don't like lanyards or anything that flops around, might get caught on something or makes noise. I hate things rattling around on my person-keys, change, etc.

So, I took a couple of dimes, which are large enough for me to get a good purchase on to turn but thin enough to fit in the screws. I drilled holes in them, painted them black and screwed them down under the screws of the sheath. This way, I have them all the time but they don't rattle around.

To access the dimes, I use the HEST prybar to unscrew the sheath's phillips head screws (it fits perfectly), remove the dimes and take off/put on the scales.

I wear this IWB with this side against my body so it's completely covered for those concerned about such things as looks.

Now, for overseas travel, I've got to find the appropriately sized pesos, dirhams, leks and bolivars to drill some holes into :)

HestDimesWeb.jpg

Great idea! I wonder if those tricky devils at ESEE designed the prybar so it fit like that...:D

I wonder if a dime or washer could be put between the layers of kydex on the sheath? If the kydex was heated I think it could be done, though maybe only when the kydex was being folded.

Cool Idea....I really like the black dimes....maybe an idea for the US Mint? Tactical Money? :)

Hmmm, don't know bout the US but in Aus doing that to a coin would technically be illegal

What about using a slightly larger coin, so that way once you have it screwed onto the sheath, the edge of the coin overhangs the edge of the sheath. This way you could just remove the sheath from the knife and get the handle screws off with the overhanging edge. You wouldn't have to keep taking the coin on and off.

Hmmm, don't know bout the US but in Aus doing that to a coin would technically be illegal

I think its technically illegal in the US too...something about money is not supposed to be changed or altered in any way...not sure how much its enforced...still the coins are pretty sweet mod.:D

I think its technically illegal in the US too...something about money is not supposed to be changed or altered in any way...not sure how much its enforced...still the coins are pretty sweet mod.:D

Bills are marked all the time. If you use a big bill in a store, they'll sometimes use a highlighter to mark it after they check if it's counterfeit.
Banks use permanent dyepacks to stain stolen money.

Black Paint: $8
2 dimes: $0.20
Drilling a hole in Eisenhower's nose: Priceless

What about using a slightly larger coin, so that way once you have it screwed onto the sheath, the edge of the coin overhangs the edge of the sheath. This way you could just remove the sheath from the knife and get the handle screws off with the overhanging edge. You wouldn't have to keep taking the coin on and off.

+1
Ive got the washer , but think a mod is due!

Same in the UK!

And it looks to be that way in the US, too!

United States Code
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 17 - COINS AND CURRENCY

U.S. Code as of: 01/19/04

Section 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or
unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank
bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national
banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal
Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note,
or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined
under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_against_the_law_to_deface_US_currency#ixzz1GzJ2LAHC

Same in the UK!

And it looks to be that way in the US, too!
It's illegal if you deface or alter the currency and then attempt to use it as currency. For instance, if you do one of those "squished penny" machines and then attempt to pass off the squished penny as a 1 cent piece (or higher) while doing a normal transaction, that is illegal.

Writing on a bill is different (like the Where's George? bills), as long as it's not attempting to change the denomination it's not really illegal.

The key in the law is "with intent to render such".

Jeff and I thought about doing this but ran into this exact snag about defacing U.S. currency. SO we are going to stamp our own dimes and quarters and drill holes in them instead so we don't get into trouble. Mike

Back