hey does anyone on here know how to make a knife ?

I think I do... Start with some steel, or iron...it doesn't really make a difference. Make it shaped like a knife then go cut through a machine gun barrel with it! What's the problem?

Don't you have to start with lawnmower blades??

How are ya Dan? Wondered about you on occasion. Glad to see you're still movin' & able to type.....

hey Randy, thanks for thinking about me.. hope it was good thoughts :) I'm still kicking it around.
how you been doing ?.. things look a bit different around here.. thought I'd drop in and see what's happening..
I need to get my MO-JO back.. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, I don't know how...
Mr Straub.
I see you took the high road too.. :)
on your site..
"I have decided to no longer take custom orders. Still making knives, though!"

Once I got over 3 years behind in orders it got very mundane copying what I had already made.. I fully understand if that was your reasoning..

very nice looking blade work on your site.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather gave me all these old files and I'm too cheap to spend $20 on a piece of good steel so I will wait for my neighbor to have another barbeque and stick one of these files in his briquettes and then borrow his angle grinder and make an edge and get a 2x4 from the construction company down the block and make a real cool knife and then I will be cool as all get out.....

I'll know for certain how to make a knife about the time Sisyphus gets done rolling that boulder.

Hi Dan. I still visit here every day. Don't post much any more for several reasons.

Lots of new faces here and still quite a bit of talent, both old and new.

Come around more often.

Grab a bar of steel. Make it pointy on one end. Grind away everything that don't cut, leaving a part to hold onto. Get it real hot and quench in something. Then get it not-so-hot and quench in it something. Now affix some sort of handle to the non-pointy end, and grind away everything that hurts your hand.

That's about it, really.

;) Welcome back Dan.

Tips for making knives:
  • Shape the blade so it cuts what needs cutting
  • Shape the handle so it doesn't cut into your hand
  • Find the proper balance between hardness and toughness for the blade
  • There's something to do with a grinder, but I don't really understand that bit
  • Use up lots of sandpaper, and be sure to dispose of it properly
  • Avoid buffers

I had no idea what I was doing three weeks ago but I made this over the weekend. No idea how hard it is but it seems to hold an edge when cutting sticks so I'll keep it for now :p Made from 1/8" 1080.http://imgur.com/MXHqKim
MXHqKim

Mr Straub.
I see you took the high road too.. :)
on your site..
"I have decided to no longer take custom orders. Still making knives, though!"

Once I got over 3 years behind in orders it got very mundane copying what I had already made.. I fully understand if that was your reasoning..

very nice looking blade work on your site.

Yep, that had a lot to do with it. Also, I felt that I wasn't developing technically and creatively after a while.
Thanks for the compliment on my work, man. Thanks for your contributions to the craft!

I'm still trying now and then in my shop with giving information on liner lock making and in return getting better ways to do this and that. I got into making a couple of customs a month or so back and once again decided that wasn't for me. My best to you Dan. Frank

Back