hey does anyone on here know how to make a knife ?

I'm still trying now and then in my shop with giving information on liner lock making and in return getting better ways to do this and that. I got into making a couple of customs a month or so back and once again decided that wasn't for me. My best to you Dan. Frank
:) 14 years here Frank are you sure ? lol I'll have to Troll around some to see what's been going on..

I had no idea what I was doing three weeks ago but I made this over the weekend. No idea how hard it is but it seems to hold an edge when cutting sticks so I'll keep it for now :p Made from 1/8" 1080.http://imgur.com/MXHqKim
MXHqKim
well I will say, looks like you got some wood cut up with it.. well done .. ;)

Hey Dan, Good to see you here again.

I think it has something to do with old bandsaw blades...

I think I do... Start with some steel, or iron...it doesn't really make a difference. Make it shaped like a knife then go cut through a machine gun barrel with it! What's the problem?
but I'm thinking it has something to do with Carbon or something like that.. much be a new type of steel ??? :)
or was it the new RL154 steel ? ;) liking your work on your site.. nice

Hi Dan. I still visit here every day. Don't post much any more for several reasons.

Lots of new faces here and still quite a bit of talent, both old and new.

Come around more often.
Thanks. and understood for sure Robert.. looks like all is well and good for the most part. the big thing is , the info.. I will pop in from time to time ..

1. Go to home depot
2. Get some steel flat stock. (Pro Tip: steel transition strips (like for carpeting) already have holes drilled in them that you can utilize for handle pins. They come in several lengths too, so you can make a sword, OR a bushcraft knife)
3. Cut out the shape of your knife, sword, or battle axe. You can use a bench grinder for most of this process, up to and including sharpening.
4. Stick it in your microwave for 15 minutes. When you hear the beep, dunk it in some liquid. Almost anything will work, but I prefer a mix of laundry detergent, bacon grease, pickle juice, and WD-40. The detergent will help clean the steel when you quench it.
5. Screw some handle scales on. I like using drywall screws and some cut offs of baseboard trim. Super durable and very cheap.
6. Make a sheath. Duct Tape is the poor man's leather.

1. Go to home depot
2. Get some steel flat stock. (Pro Tip: steel transition strips (like for carpeting) already have holes drilled in them that you can utilize for handle pins. They come in several lengths too, so you can make a sword, OR a bushcraft knife)
3. Cut out the shape of your knife, sword, or battle axe. You can use a bench grinder for most of this process, up to and including sharpening.
4. Stick it in your microwave for 15 minutes. When you hear the beep, dunk it in some liquid. Almost anything will work, but I prefer a mix of laundry detergent, bacon grease, pickle juice, and WD-40. The detergent will help clean the steel when you quench it.
5. Screw some handle scales on. I like using drywall screws and some cut offs of baseboard trim. Super durable and very cheap.
6. Make a sheath. Duct Tape is the poor man's leather.

I think you have Godards goop down pat.. there.. ;)

Only can make a bush knife at this point using a portable belt Sander clamped in my vice.

Hey Dan:
Central Maine still has some active knifemakers. Even us old timers are still around , although taking it easy now. New England School of Metalwork in Auburn is teaching a whole new generation of knifemakers and some of them are quite talented. Nick Rossi who teaches there is a very accomplished maker. You should meet him.

I think you just have to drive on down to Home Depot and pick you out some nice welding steel. It makes great knives. Then grab a 2x4 on your way out for the handle, but make sure its pine. And definitely press that steel into your worn out bench grinder until glows red.

I tell you what, I know a few knife makers and they are crazy!

No way am I going to try and make a knife, I'll stick with the leather......:rolleyes::D

Hey Dan:
Central Maine still has some active knifemakers. Even us old timers are still around , although taking it easy now. New England School of Metalwork in Auburn is teaching a whole new generation of knifemakers and some of them are quite talented. Nick Rossi who teaches there is a very accomplished maker. You should meet him.

Hey Marcel.
good to hear from you.. I'll have to do that.. you retire your Pawn shop to your son ? was thinking from time to time ,, I might need a new/used fire arm of some sort.. I still have the Judge I got from you.. things sound good for you,, Cool :)

A battery knife WIP

Borrow an expensive custom knife from a knifenut. Stick the blade into mud -> pull it out -> stick handle into mud -> pull out -> yeehaa a quick mold.

Borrow a car/truck battery from your neighbor. Melt the lead and pour into the blade mold. Pour melted plastic into handle mold. Duct tape the 2 parts together.

Voi'la, mission accomplished!

Back