Hey man, got a knife? Just say no.

theres no need to shorten the working life of your edge or knife by misusing it, keep it to cutting and you wont have to resharpen as much, and it will look prettier.

Holy crap.

Yesterday.

Guy at work. "Hey man, got a knife?"
Me "sure"

I hand him my Contego (sharpened with a thin bevel) and he proceeds to crank down a loose screw with the tip. I watched in horror.

Then, later.

My mother in law "son, can I borrow your pocket knife?"

Oh sh... here we go again. But surely she wouldn't do anything stupid.

So I follow her into the bathroom where she proceeds to use the tip to try prying the stuck drain out of the sink (under 6" of water).

I'll be honest, I really like being that guy that always has a knife when you need one, but I'm either going to have to say no, or ask what needs CUTTING and do it myself.

Sheesh.

That my friend is why I carry a leatherman AND a pocket knife. But even then I ask. Why? For what? Everyone knows I have a knife (or three), So for me to say no I'd automatically be caught in a lie.

I used my 810 as a screwdriver the first day I had it. You should've seen the look on my apprentice face (he knew what it cost). I didn't think twice about it. That being said, if he would've asked to use it and did the same I'd be pissed.

My answer is always the same, I have no knife.
Another answer is "If I lend you my knife, loaning me your girlfriend? Generally the discussion is just there.
They are not appropriate, but they do destroy a knife as you have for years is very sad.
I have two victims, one Spyderco Endura and Military. Fallen in battle with a screw of a Snowboard, and another by batoning (was not me).

I always just say maybe, and ask what they need cut? And then lend the knife out or not depending on their answer.

I always ask "what for"? then say either "no" or "I'll do it"...I do not carry cheap POS knives and never hand my knife over to another.
Knives are not screw drivers or pry tools...

I carry one of these as a loaner, I've used it too, quite often. If you don't have one already, get one of these, a cadet, or a Juice S2.

VictorinoxFarmerSilver2.jpg

Edit: I'd have no problem chipping ice out either. Seriously, why are you carrying a knife if you're afraid to use it? It isn't built to be a toy. And obviously yiu shouldn't be carrying your LE's or midtechs around if all you're going to do is cut paper and open letters out of fear of hurting them. I guess I just can't grasp the logic of not using a tool as a tool.
I'm not about to repeatedly slam the tip on thick ice, causing stress on the lock and vibrating all the screws loose.
If I'm going to use my knife as an ice pick, why not use it as a screwdriver and a prybar while I'm at it too?

Last edited:
I EDC a SAK Tinker too and would never offer that to anyone asking either...I like that knife a lot and it was a Christmas gift from my kids.

I'm not about to repeatedly slam the tip on thick ice, causing stress on the lock and vibrating all the screws loose.
If I'm going to use my knife as an ice pick, why not use it as a screwdriver and a prybar while I'm at it too?

If it is built for it, why not? Depends on the knife.

Yet another reason I prefer carrying a secondhand knife.

And as said previously, good reason for a folding utility knife.

My policy, if you can provide 8 pieces of photo ID and a $50.00 deposit, you can borrow my knife. Same goes for taking a cheque/check, maximum value of which would be $50.00. they can have the $50.00 back when the check clears.

If it is built for it, why not? Depends on the knife.
If I was carrying a fixed blade, I wouldn't have hesitated at all. But, I was carrying an Adamas.
It probably could have handled it, but it was more of a "something to do" incident vs a "need to" incident.

The best answer at work is , yeah no worries and then hand them your Stanley knife or box cutter.

Back