1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hey man, got a knife? Just say no.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Omega Leather Works, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Pete3

Pete3

Apr 3, 2013
    theres no need to shorten the working life of your edge or knife by misusing it, keep it to cutting and you wont have to resharpen as much, and it will look prettier.

2. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    That my friend is why I carry a leatherman AND a pocket knife. But even then I ask. Why? For what? Everyone knows I have a knife (or three), So for me to say no I'd automatically be caught in a lie.

3. Wheeler80

Wheeler80 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I used my 810 as a screwdriver the first day I had it. You should've seen the look on my apprentice face (he knew what it cost). I didn't think twice about it. That being said, if he would've asked to use it and did the same I'd be pissed.

4. to4steh

to4steh

Jul 18, 2013
    Haha, great quote.

5. ForeverArmed

ForeverArmed

Nov 19, 2013
    And this is why I suggest a leatherman for utility work. :rolleyes:

6. Kermmak

Kermmak

Mar 15, 2013
    My answer is always the same, I have no knife.
    Another answer is "If I lend you my knife, loaning me your girlfriend? Generally the discussion is just there.
    They are not appropriate, but they do destroy a knife as you have for years is very sad.
    I have two victims, one Spyderco Endura and Military. Fallen in battle with a screw of a Snowboard, and another by batoning (was not me).

7. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    I always just say maybe, and ask what they need cut? And then lend the knife out or not depending on their answer.

8. richinva

richinva

Oct 30, 2005
    This. ^^^^^

9. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Must read the (not so) fine print. ;)

10. Kai Winters

Kai Winters

Mar 16, 2012
    I always ask "what for"? then say either "no" or "I'll do it"...I do not carry cheap POS knives and never hand my knife over to another.
    Knives are not screw drivers or pry tools...

11. Turbo Tension

Turbo Tension Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2010
    I carry one of these as a loaner, I've used it too, quite often. If you don't have one already, get one of these, a cadet, or a Juice S2.

[​IMG]

12. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm not about to repeatedly slam the tip on thick ice, causing stress on the lock and vibrating all the screws loose.
    If I'm going to use my knife as an ice pick, why not use it as a screwdriver and a prybar while I'm at it too?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  13. Andre21

Andre21 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 7, 2009
    +1 for asking "What for?"

14. Kai Winters

Kai Winters

Mar 16, 2012
    I EDC a SAK Tinker too and would never offer that to anyone asking either...I like that knife a lot and it was a Christmas gift from my kids.

15. RemyKaze

RemyKaze

Mar 23, 2012
    If it is built for it, why not? Depends on the knife.

16. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    Yet another reason I prefer carrying a secondhand knife.

And as said previously, good reason for a folding utility knife.

17. 69_knives

69_knives

Nov 20, 2008
    My policy, if you can provide 8 pieces of photo ID and a $50.00 deposit, you can borrow my knife. Same goes for taking a cheque/check, maximum value of which would be $50.00. they can have the $50.00 back when the check clears.

18. Ausseknifeknut

Ausseknifeknut Banned BANNED

Oct 26, 2013
    I'd like to one day be asked and pull out my Ontario marine raider :)

19. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    If I was carrying a fixed blade, I wouldn't have hesitated at all. But, I was carrying an Adamas.
    It probably could have handled it, but it was more of a "something to do" incident vs a "need to" incident.

20. Ausseknifeknut

Ausseknifeknut Banned BANNED

Oct 26, 2013
    The best answer at work is , yeah no worries and then hand them your Stanley knife or box cutter.