HI Balance khukuri

This one by Kumar Kami was $200 as a DOTD. It's 17" OAL, 31 oz, with a 3/8" spine. It was one of the first Balance Knives made by Kumar since he returned to HI recently. Impeccably made and very comfortable.

The blade and handle shape are somewhat different from the two pictured above, but it does balance, thus earning the name. :)

View attachment 469714

View attachment 469715

At the other end of the price range, here's one that was offered here recently for $130. (Blems might be offered for even less, but you gotta be faster than the competition to get one.)

Villager Balance khukuri
16 inches
28oz
Steel bolster and buttcap
Satisaal Handle
By Kumar kami
$130 SOLD
DSC00883.jpg

This one by Kumar Kami was $200 as a DOTD. It's 17" OAL, 31 oz, with a 3/8" spine. It was one of the first Balance Khukuris made by Kumar since he returned to HI recently. Impeccably made and very comfortable.

The blade and handle shape are somewhat different from the two pictured above, but it does balance, thus earning the name. :)

View attachment 469714

View attachment 469715

Note the curved spine, another difference from the other knives pictured above. There seems to be a lot of variety in blades that are called Balance Khukuris.
looks like a ASTK because of the laynard hole., you sure that is a balance and not a ASTK?

That Kumar made Balance is Great! :) Curvy in all the right places. ;)

This one by Kumar Kami was $200 as a DOTD. It's 17" OAL, 31 oz, with a 3/8" spine. It was one of the first Balance Khukuris made by Kumar since he returned to HI recently. Impeccably made and very comfortable.

View attachment 469714

View attachment 469715

Note the curved spine, another difference from the other knives pictured above. There seems to be a lot of variety in blades that are called Balance Khukuris.
Thank you.

Gotta have one of those.

looks like a ASTK because of the laynard hole., you sure that is a balance and not a ASTK?

I'm not sure what the specs are for a Balance Khukuri, other than the balance point being approximately half-way from each end. Even the three examples shown above in this thread have many differences between them.

However, I have two ASTKs and my new Balance Khukuri is definitely not an ASTK even though it has the lanyard hole. Here are a couple of pics for comparison. The first pic is an ASTK. Note the more extreme "drop" in the front half of the blade. The spine is angled rather than curved like mine. The ASTK handle is straight rather than curved. The "belly" of the Balance Khukuri is closer to the tip, rather like the blade of the WWII model.

This ASTK, by Lachhu Kami, is 18" OAL and 27 oz.

View attachment 469907

This Balance Khukuri, by Kumar Kami, is 17" OAL and 31 oz.

View attachment 469906

DO NOT POST ANY MORE OF THESE OR YOU ARE GONNA MAKE A BIG FAT LIAR OUT OF ME !!! these just might be the the coolest I have seen.... so far, at least
I.........AM...........ONLY............. BUYING............1........... Grrrrrrrrrrrr

DO NOT POST ANY MORE OF THESE OR YOU ARE GONNA MAKE A BIG FAT LIAR OUT OF ME !!! these just might be the the coolest I have seen.... so far, at least
I.........AM...........ONLY............. BUYING............1........... Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Advice - forget the promise, know that you tried, and accept the fate of HIKV addiction.

You simply need to expand on the word / number "1". No one wants to be a big fat liar so you break out the silly putty and mold it into one trunk full, or one storage unit full or in my case one wall full, I'm now at the point where I need to modify by "1" by perhaps installing the other half of the wall that I still have in the garage and it will be a whole new clean slate.

Easy peasey. Go forth and "1".

You simply need to expand on the word / number "1". No one wants to be a big fat liar so you break out the silly putty and mold it into one trunk full, or one storage unit full or in my case one wall full, I'm now at the point where I need to modify by "1" by perhaps installing the other half of the wall that I still have in the garage and it will be a whole new clean slate.

Easy peasey. Go forth and "1".

I have come to terms with my HIKV by a simple minor adjustment.

I am definitely positively only going to buy "1":

1 - 20" Sher Kobra;
1- Padam Suga knifr;
1- 18" Bhakta WW2;
1- 15 3/4" KLVUK;
1 - 16" Kumar Balance knofe;
etc.
etc.
............. lol. :eek:

Yek is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.
Dui can be as bad as Yek
It's the loneliest number since the number Yek

No more Khuks is the saddest experience you'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
ooo Totally uncalled for...

Last edited:
I have a problem. The ASTK that I received two days ago balances! I was not expecting this at all. What am I going to call it? A BASTK? An ASTKB?

Is there any way I can unbalance it to fix this problem?

I think I'm starting to feel unbalanced.

Some other models will also balance. The Curved Spine khukuri by Thamar Bahadur that I recently purchased will also balance. But the 13" balance knife by Kumar that I bought will not balance, it flops over to one side or the other?

Some other models will also balance. The Curved Spine khukuri by Thamar Bahadur that I recently purchased will also balance. But the 13" balance knife by Kumar that I bought will not balance, it flops over to one side or the other?

Well that's rather odd considering it's specifically marketed to do so.

But yeah, sometimes you'll luck out and get a model that also happens to balance along the lateral axis.. my old 18" m43 (which I still to this day regret selling off) came to me this way though it wasn't advertised to do so:
P1040396.jpg

P1050636.jpg

My old 18" WW2 that's still in my possession also balances, though again I don't think it was intended:
20140906_001750_zpsa679d8eb.jpg

The actual HI balance khuk is just one that happens to be made with that feature in mind. I'd imagine it must be rather difficult to accomplish, especially when you factor in how sanding down the handle and grinding/polishing the blade would also change the balace point. From what I've seen though, all the knives that balance have been flat-faced. I'd love to see one with fullers (like an AK, Cherokee, Dui-Chirra or Foxy folly) that also happens to balance. That would be mind blowing.

Aside from the cool factor though, it honestly doesn't impact functionality at all

Aside from the cool factor though, it honestly doesn't impact functionality at all

Yes it does. A balanced khukuri is not forward heavy or butt heavy, which does tend to affect how it chops. A balanced khukuri relies more on velocity to chop rather than weight to do the work.

Yes it does. A balanced khukuri is not forward heavy or butt heavy, which does tend to affect how it chops. A balanced khukuri relies more on velocity to chop rather than weight to do the work.

So now I'm confused - when we're talking about "balanced khukuris", are we talking about ones that
1) balances on a point on its edge?
2) has the balance point relatively center between the tip and butt?
or
3) both?

And which of these are requirements of the "balance" model specifically? moparsbob just said his balance model doesn't actually stand-on-edge balance.

As for my earlier comments, they were more speaking strictly about the ability for a kukri to balance on a point on its very edge (with the spine facing directly upwards). My WWII and old m43 both did this, and both balanced at different points along the edge (the m43 was definitely more front-heavy and the ww2 more centrally balanced). Personally, I find this type of balance much more impressive than a knife's central point of balance being directly between the tip and butt.

20140906_020200_zpsab7bc5e7.jpg

Back