Hi, I'm new to hand engraving and knives.

I just got my reply back from Ray on titanium. He assuages my trepidation by confirming that commercially pure titanium is cuttable and actually pretty nice, but nothing in manufacturing is made with it. I have to collaborate with a knife maker. I hope someday I find a knife maker that would enjoy working with me.
There are a bunch of knifemakers on here. You should take a look at the subforum and see if you can make any connections

I'm not sure about aluminum. I have my eyes on the buck ranger. The details I see say "nickel silver". I'm not sure how that cuts. I have cut on brass, copper, silver, platinum, palladium, 14k white gold, 14k yellow gold, 18k yellow gold. I have engraved on a cheap, terrible clipper off of amazon. I hate palladium the most. Titanium is uncuttable. It breaks every tip I sharpen.
nickel silver should cut like brass, i would think. its basically copper, zinc and nickel. im no engraver, but I have Buck knives in nickel silver and brass and they seem to gouge and scratch about the same in using.

The Buck Model 111 has a handle made of dead soft Aluminum. The reason is the scales are embossed by a die mounted in a drop hammer. You have to engrave
your own name.
E2F36E30-4581-41C6-BCBB-29BF5FF46161.jpeg

I just got my reply back from Ray on titanium. He assuages my trepidation by confirming that commercially pure titanium is cuttable and actually pretty nice, but nothing in manufacturing is made with it. I have to collaborate with a knife maker. I hope someday I find a knife maker that would enjoy working with me.

WValtakis WValtakis can cut/engrave titanium alloys. He was even kind enough to humor me and deeply engrave a symbol into a piece of hardened titanium alloy plate that was formulated to be tank armor. HAHAHA! šŸ¤£ I wasn't trying to troll him, but it still feels like it was a good troll anyway.

I'm not sure about aluminum. I have my eyes on the buck ranger. The details I see say "nickel silver". I'm not sure how that cuts. I have cut on brass, copper, silver, platinum, palladium, 14k white gold, 14k yellow gold, 18k yellow gold. I have engraved on a cheap, terrible clipper off of amazon. I hate palladium the most. Titanium is uncuttable. It breaks every tip I sharpen.
I have many Randall knives with nickle silver hilts, collars and buttcaps, engravers i use have no problem with it. good luck

Welcome to the forums ma'am. Very nice work you showed on that 110. A friend of mine recently had me repair one of his engraved knives. I thought you would enjoy the photos of that knife and the story of how it got engraved:

The field is wide open. Have a friend, a western bit and spur maker and he does a lot of engraving outside of his normal work too. My wife talked him into doing this lil pilstol for her:

8shcLg0.jpg

And he's done some customer's knives for me too:

YMXm9uo.jpg

N7qNwXl.jpg

u67zwHx.jpg

vw2MZsq.jpg

He likes doing nickel silver or stainless. I'd have to talk real hard to get him to do brass. He said it was too "chippy."

He did this buckle set for me (from the wife as an anniversary present). In high relief engraving:

XIO4rdO.jpg

Said he had 6 hours in just removing the silver in the background.

Thanks for posting your work and please post more.

Last edited:
Sara. Your work is amazing. I have no doubt that you will succeed in this new endeavor. Welcome to BF@

Love the engraving on the Buck 110. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Your artistry and skills show, best of luck to you.

Back