HI Katana's

I'm up in Canada.. so i'm for the non-lethal options as well. Except as Munchi pointed out... for ZOMBIES!!!! Which makes me realize i need a bonecutter or foxyfolly.... hmm... or a Tulwar. Ooo!

Tulwar versus Zombies... i think that is probably the winner right there.... I need a Tulwar for zombie defence.

With the zombie consideration in mind, I think we Cancuk HI owners might be safe if Keith Richards broke into our homes with ill-will. :D

Nice thing about being up north is we just have to make it until winter and then all the zombies freeze...

Nice thing about being up north is we just have to make it until winter and then all the zombies freeze...

But Spring has just come and Summer is not far away here downunder!:eek:

Obviously there is a need to consider something able to be employed for Global Zoombie defense purposes ?:D

I'm old and ignorant and I don't know how to to resurect the old posts, ie search discussing this issue.

Uncle Bill talked and tried to explain the HI katana is NOT a Japanese katana. The Indonesian sword which is applicable, I think, was called a Dao, and is more closely related. There is no school in America teaching this sword style to my knowledge. The "Traditional Chinese Sword Style" can be adapted to the HI katana. My HI katana is on the webb page sitting on the teak table over an oriental rug.

I used this weapon with Tai Chi sword form and it work quite well.

I am curious as to why Japanese sword styles could not be applied to the HI Katana? Well maybe. You said an HI Kat isn't a Japanese Kat, which i think we've gathered at this point, but nothing has been said about applying Japanese forms and sword techniques to the HI Kat.... anyone want to comment on this? Well i know the weights might be different, the HI Kat is differentially tempered, which is a start...

Applying Tai Chi sword forms to the HI Kat is intriguing... I shall have to try that. Anyone tested those with a Tibetan?

... but nothing has been said about applying Japanese forms and sword techniques to the HI Kat.... anyone want to comment on this? Well i know the weights might be different...

From my limited experience at two schools of Japanese sword usage, each had very different ideas of what was required in a blade for use in their particular style. I picked the school which appealed to me and purchased a suitable modern manufactured sword for both class exercises and test cutting.

The appeal of the HI Wajaski's is that they are build stronger than traditionally modeled Wakazashi's and can take novice informal cutting with only 'so-so' user technique without bending, chipping or breaking.

Comments have indicated that the very experienced HI Kami's can make a well balanced sword regardless of its non Nepali style and origins. The HI swords also represent great value compared with other currently manufactured swords. Thats why a HI Wajaski's is on my 'to buy' list.

I just carefully tried swinging my 20inch C.A.K. inside a house with 8foot high ceilings (and I'm 5'10") and it came mighty close to hitting the ceiling.

This is a practice issue. I used to practice with my 7' staff in an apartment with 8' ceilings. At first, I would stop after touching the roof several times. Eventually, that dropped to two. Finally, one. My point is, that you could certainly swing a 20" blade with room to spare if I could spin a 7' staff for 20 minutes or more without touching the ceiling.

I think I eventually would just stop after my arms got tired, because I rarely hit the ceiling anymore while spinning with my 12" or less clearance.

To go back to the swords: my Kat was fabulously heavy, and not traditional, but built like a tank. I've been wanting to get one of the Tibetans for a while. I gave one to my favorite history professor a couple of years ago. She loves it. :)

I've also long wanted a Bhutan sword.

John

Hi Radrunner et al.,

I like how the conversation is going.

With regard to the HI Katana being a Miao dao, it's a little small, because miao daos are typically over a meter long. They really are two-handed sabers. Still, it's worth a try.

I've used my tibetan sword with basic xingyi dao manuevers, and it's wonderful. I've known for a while that you can do xingyi saber forms with a katana, so I'd suggest trying it with an HI katana.

As a side note, the old Chinese sabers such as the liuyedao and yanmaodao have a more or less constant blade width (more like a katana) so there's no reason not to try using an HI katana as a replacement.

F

This is a practice issue. I used to practice with my 7' staff in an apartment with 8' ceilings. At first, I would stop after touching the roof several times. Eventually, that dropped to two. Finally, one. My point is, that you could certainly swing a 20" blade with room to spare if I could spin a 7' staff for 20 minutes or more without touching the ceiling.

I think I eventually would just stop after my arms got tired, because I rarely hit the ceiling anymore while spinning with my 12" or less clearance.

John

Thank you for your comments as they are both constructive and instructive and allow will me to consider longer blade lengths and maybe even sword types than that which I had been considering if I practice regularly!

bruce

Yeah, I practiced every day for months. That's more dedication than I would expect from most, but 15 minutes of practice 3 or 4x a week will do wonders for you.

I have an HI Katana. It is ludicrously blade-heavy and too thick to really be a slashing sword (which the katana is supposed to be).

As a faithful katana I would rate it not so well. But as an indestructible sword I would rate it fairly well. I think I prefer my tarwar.

Greetings!
Would you consider selling or trading the Everest Katana?
Thanks, Ed

doch_ladyprecious@yahoo.com

Applying Tai Chi sword forms to the HI Kat is intriguing... I shall have to try that. Anyone tested those with a Tibetan?

The only form I can manage with my Tibetan is the clean & jerk! :eek:

For those that feel the Everest Katana are hefty... well, I'd say my ke tri is at least 1.5 times heavier than my EK.

Greetings My Katana owning Brothers/Sister
I humbly hope to be joining Your exalted ranks soon!
Waiting somewhat impatiently for the US Postal Service to deliver a Worthy Blade as of Monday!!
I shall update and participate soon!!
Doc

Last edited:
Greetings My Katana owning Brethern!!
I humbly hope to be joining Your exalted ranks soon!
Waiting somewhat impatiently for the US POstal Service to deliver a Worthy Blade as of Monday!!
I shall update and participate soon!!
Doc

What sword did you snag?

<Giggles>.... Since Ed is in the process of getting acquainted with his EARLY YULE GIFT....I felt I should respond......I'll give ya a hint...... it's Long.... with a NICE curve..... and a Pretty Handle..... And if he didn't like it... I would have confiscated it for myself.

HUMMM Now that he has this... Me thinks... I may just snag the Wajaski to use as part of my PT....

Oh jeeshh where are my manners.... the man asked a question...... But Snag is such a Harsh word for this situation.

She is a VERY beautiful HI Everest Katana..... That a WONDERFUL person had bought from Ms. Yangdu about a year and a half ago. And like all good girls she comes experienced. (Get your minds out of the gutters boys) I mean in the art of defense.

"She has been used in Escrima weapons drills, has only seen contact with padded sticks and has only cut air. She has been swung by formidable practitioners of excellent resume with great approval"...as her last partner had stated.... (This Katana has WAY too much personality to refer to as being OWNED & Calling her an "It" would be an insult.) I would be willing to wager with anyone not familiar with HI products that they each have a soul and a personality.

She will be double blessed... She had a wonderful partner who took GREAT care of her, And now she has someone who will do the same. (not to mention the blessing she got in the spiritual use of the word.... and will be again in the cold air of NYS on the Solstice.

Again I want to Thank You.... YOU know who you are ;) and to let you know how grateful we are for you making this possible on a tight budget.... He is worse the a LIL' kid right now :) Namaste my friend.

Blessed Be!
Willow (aka: Mrs. DocH)

HUMMM Now that he has this... Me thinks... I may just snag the Wajaski to use as part of my PT....

Willow (aka: Mrs. DocH)

Did you see this one which I believe is still available:

11-30-08%20004.jpg

WAJASKI SWORD BY YUVRAJ KAMI

Overall length -- 27''
Weight --26 oz
Spine thickness -- 1/4''
Brass gauard
Sisau wood handle
Standard brown leather scabbard
I am offering this Sword at $175 which includes a free purpleheart wood Everest stand

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600799

It is one of the nicest HI Waj's I've seen. If I had the ability I would have bought it the day it was offered.

Bonkers...
Thanks for the heads up!!!
Ah she is a Beauty!!!!! Alas.... with Yule just round the corner.... us adults have gotten just about all the gifts we can allow ourselves to get. (UNLESS) ;)

But the boys had quite a list this year and since the holiday IS really about them... We need to hold off!

Thanks Again!!
Blessed Be,
Willow aka: Mrs. DocH

She is a VERY beautiful HI Everest Katana.....

Most excellent! You should be proud... not everyone is fortunate enough to have one. After making the simultaneous request for the wakizashi with you, I resolved to get an Everest Katana soon after holding the short sword in my hand. It is just so solid & well made - great feel to it!

I did manage to get ahold of a Tibetan sword by Bura & am waiting for a Tibetan long sword by Sher to arrive in the mail. This is some great stuff coming here from Nepal...

Back