HI Knife got an Elk Overhaul

This is one of my favorite little knives. It was advertised on the DOTD as a Puruwa knife. The pommel looks like a dove head. When I emailed Yangdu about it she just gave it to me free of charge. She is the best! It is over 60 Rockwell hardness on the edge. Ram Kumar made it and he is one of my most favorite kamis. This is a great knife for carving and also skinning. It can chop through a deer pelvis very quickly. It is my deer camp constant companion.

I destroyed the handle when I used it along with an axe to remove a huge oak burl I gave to my brother. He was wanting to carve a wooden bowl. I used the knife like a chisel and the axe like a hammer. I would have used the axe to chop but I didn't want to accidentally mess up the burl. This knife is ridiculously strong but the bamboo root handle scales got pretty messed up.

I asked Bawanna if he would put some antler on it and he kindly obliged.

It is great! I liked this knife a lot before but now I love it all over again. I can't get enough of the Elk antler handle.

The curve in the antler is just right. It feels perfect. Bawanna says he likes to make the scale on the left side smaller than the right side because it rides better on the belt. He is correct. It also lets you get closer to the wood when you are carving. I let one of my nephews carve with it at a family reunion last week and I didn't think he was ever going to give it back. I gave him an extra Mora I had laying around just so he would give this one back.

The new handle didn't fit the sheath quite right, and I was wanting to make another sheath for it anyway, so I decided to go all out with the Elk theme. I have an old Elk skin rug I use for camping. When I got it, I trimmed the leg corners to make the rug rectangular so I could roll it up easier. I kept the trimmings in case I needed them later. Here is my sheath project I made from one of the trimmings.

Starting to come together. I'd say they match pretty well.

Made a simple belt loop.

All done! Very primitive but I like it.

Here she is hanging on the belt. Nice and comfy.

Here I am, proud as a peacock, with my tougher than nails, old favorite, new feeling Elk knife at my side.

I am also kinda proud of that leather hat I made. My first hat project. Happy with it too.

I would like to say a special thank you to Ram Kumar for making such a great working knife, Yangdu for giving it to me, and of course Bawanna for the incredible handle job.

[edit]
And Elks! Thanks to the Elks too.

Last edited:
I can personally attest to how he beat this knife, on first observation I thought what did he do to this thing, pommel all peened over, handle literally destroyed, it was really fastened well or it would have been knocked off.
I do agree it is indeed a great little knife. I did ascertain that the sheath did work although I like the elk hide sheath way more better, a great match up.
As I mentioned before I really love the hat too, great job on that.

And also agree, thanks to the Elk, they done really good on this project. Was happy to play along.

That is a winner all around, love the handle and love the sheath man, great job! Looks mountain man rustic! And the hat, just finishes the look. Great job brother.

Thank guys. That means a lot coming from you Pugs! I'll let you know how she holds up over the long haul. And Bawanna, the sheath did still work. It was just a little too tight to get in and out easy with one hand. Oh, and thanks for cleaning up all the dents and dings. I'll TRY to take it easy on her from now on.

Last edited:
Looks sweet Eric. Definitely a great all around carry knife. As Pugs said, it definitely has that mountain man appeal! Great work on the handle Bawanna. Sheath is perfect!

Back