HI M43 Review

Hey Folks,
After having gotten superb direction and information from this forum, I placed an order for an HI M43 and I finally have it here in hand so I am posting a photo review if anyone is interested. The blade is amazing and if you don't already own one and you are on the fence I can truly agree with the members on the forum that you should indeed pick one up. Its a functional piece of history and one of the finest hand made blades I have ever seen though admittedly I am far from an expert so take that into consideration as you read my review.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Himalayan Imports M43 Khukuri Official write up from their site (http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/index.html):

M43

Based on the WWII khukuri, the M43, which was designed as an update of the Mk II which was basically a WWI design. The new knife had a stronger grip attachment system, a wider pommel and better bolster design at the blade. The balance is slightly more forward and the blade could arguably considered stronger.

My Khukuri's specs are as follows:

Overall Weight (knife only): 2.2 lbs.
Overall Length: 19"
Blade Length (not accounting for curvature): 11 7/8"
Blade Length (allowing for curvature): 12 1/8"
Blade Width (at thickest point): 3/8"
Handle Material: Horn

Here it is in the sheath and out:
LxcCJ0q.jpg

s394OUc.jpg

I'll come back to the blade itself, but first I will address the sheath and accessory knifes.

The sheath itself I am not impressed with, the blade fits quite loosely so that if worn on a belt - a light run would cause the blade to bounce and anything faster would be dangerous as the cutting edge would be able to cause injury. It also had two significant scratches to the leather, obviously not hindering the functionality, but for a new knife this was a let down as it was the first thing I saw upon unboxing the blade.

Here are the aforementioned scratches, they don't come out much in the photos, but are very noticeable in person:
JTurlns.jpg

frTsUqg.jpg

The chakmak and karda are well done, with the Karda's edge a bit dull for my tastes, though fully usable. My only gripes with them are that they are both marked up on the handles:
8lxe1BQ.jpg

Again these are cosmetic issues and less an issue than the sheath, but still not something you want to see on a new purchase.

Now the blade itself I could not be happier with, its superbly balanced forward for what it was made to do - chopping things. I cleanly cut the box it came with in half with a good swing of the blade. It is well crafted to say the least, I cannot find a single mistake that is obvious on the blade - the only issues are small scratches and nicks here and there that are to be expected on a hand made carbon steel khukuri. It is a hefty blade at 2.2 pounds and the the thickness gives it a sense of durability I have never seen nor felt in a blade:
klJLUR3.jpg

I would not pause to put it up against any chore reasonable for a strong blade.

The markings on my blade are as follows if you are interested:
PPovaKX.jpg

zk3MxyM.jpg

The handle as mentioned is horn and the fit and finish are top notch:
4xZvjbs.jpg

Nz0wTOm.jpg

Due to the weight of the blade it is most feasibly a chopping tool, though I have no doubt it would make a good self defense weapon, there are certainly better choices for that. The service and communication were excellent from HI and I am highly satisfied with the purchase. It is easily the strongest blade I own and I look forward to putting it to use outdoors. My thanks again to the forum for your assistance and I hope to someday be posting another review on my next HI blade - if anyone has thoughts on what would make the next best choice please do comment below.
Cheers, - The0bvious

Last edited:
Sweet blade. Glad you like it !!!
You mentioned self defense. Maybe one of the lighter blades will be in your future. Gelbu Special?

They did a beautiful job on that knife, the handle looks perfect.

The karda and chakma can be fixed up really easy, just break out some sandpaper and smooth em up some, throw some mineral oil on them and they'll be perfect. The horn sands up real nice.

Obviously they spend a lot more time on the big knife than the little tools. Mine usually get no more than a cursory look see but I've recently been thinking about them, I got a lot of little knifes that don't get their proper love. I need to figure out a way to keep them together with their big knife on the wall. Sheaths too for that matter but that will be even tougher.

Thanks for the review :) she looks amazing. That horn looks perfect too. Shame about the sheath, though these things happen. Nothing a little modding can't fix ;) there's a few threads on the forum about sheath fixes.

Quite a fine blade there! I've been wanting a big khuk with some belly to it but it'll have to wait untill after my custom is done. I had a scratch on the sheath as well but I like to imagine that it's the buffalos battle scar. Adds a bit of character to it.

It's a beautiful specimen of M43. Glad you showed the markings. The kami mark on the left side of the blade near the handle shows that this was made by Kumar, one of the most well-respected HI kamis, recently returned to HI after a few years out of Nepal.

There are ways to tighten up a loose scabbard. Easiest is to glue a thin piece of leather inside. There was a thread about this a few months ago. These traditional scabbards are made with two pieces of wood and an outer layer of leather holding them together. You can fold back the leather at the "mouth" of the scabbard, glue in a thin piece of leather (or wood), then fold back the leather. Best to dry fit the blade before any gluing.

Another option is to have one of the excellent leatherworkers on this forum make you a new scabbard. Pugs75, for example, does great work. Here's an example of one of his scabbards. The blade in the photo is a Chitlangi, 18" OAL and 24.5 oz.

View attachment 471768

Last edited:
They did a beautiful job on that knife, the handle looks perfect.

The karda and chakma can be fixed up really easy, just break out some sandpaper and smooth em up some, throw some mineral oil on them and they'll be perfect. The horn sands up real nice.

Obviously they spend a lot more time on the big knife than the little tools. Mine usually get no more than a cursory look see but I've recently been thinking about them, I got a lot of little knifes that don't get their proper love. I need to figure out a way to keep them together with their big knife on the wall. Sheaths too for that matter but that will be even tougher.

Yeah I am really impressed with it's quality, the more I handle it the more I appreciate it.

Congrats on the blade, beautifully done by Kumar (great kami from the "old days").

David's way to fix the loose scabbard is on the forum in one of the threads, I am sure Steve will be by and he'll magically be able to find the thread you'll need.

Bawanna's right, a little sanding, mineral oil, and the karda and chakma will be ready to go. The Karda just needs a few swipes on a ceramic rod, and it'll be sharp as can be.

The leather on the scabbard sometimes do come with "battle scars", definately unintentional, probably happened during packaging, or while on its long trip from Nepal.

Pugs can seriously bend some leather and make one helluva custom sheath for your new blade, you will not be disappointed.

Regardless, you have a really find M-43 there, and may it serve you long and well.

I tend to see a M-43 more as a chopper than a fighter, but that's just my opinion. Granted, if an intruder sees you in a darkened hallway with that M-43 in hand, his survival instinct should kick in, and he should leave a blazing trail out the door, and down the block.

It's a beautiful specimen of M43. Glad you showed the markings. The kami mark on the left side of the blade near the handle shows that this was made by Kumar, one of the most well-respected HI kamis, recently returned to HI after a few years out of Nepal.

There are ways to tighten up a loose scabbard. Easiest is to glue a thin piece of leather inside. There was a thread about this a few months ago. These traditional scabbards are made with two pieces of wood and an outer layer of leather holding them together. You can fold back the leather at the "mouth" of the scabbard, glue in a thin piece of leather (or wood), then fold back the leather. Best to dry fit the blade before any gluing.

Another option is to have one of the excellent leatherworkers on this forum make you a new scabbard. Pugs75, for example, does great work. Here's an example of one of his scabbards. The blade in the photo is a Chitlangi, 18" OAL and 24.5 oz.

View attachment 471768

Nice! I had read throughout the forum of Kumar's work so I am psyched it was his. Yeah I will definitely be pursuing a custom sheath and thanks again for the advice, your sheath looks perfect.

I highly recommend Pugs for a sheath as well. None of my traditional sheaths have any problems per se. But I would not use one for carrying a blade regularly. That sharp brass chape on the tip is dangerous LOL. Also the traditional sheaths are not as comfortable for extended wear. Yes, "Pugs Pants" are a must for any blade that you intend to carry around a lot in my opinion. This is a good time for a reminder to all folks who are reading this who might be less familiar with Khukuri's and the safety aspects of them, particularly the way you hold them while drawing them out of the sheath. Please read the safety links stickies at the top of the page. No reason to seriously cut yourself just removing the blade from the sheath which is VERY easy to accomplish if you aren't aware of these blades quirks.

Pretty pictures.

Now go out side and Cut some plants. I want to see pictures of plant guts. LOL!

Thanks for the review man...It was great and thanks for the pictures. Its always better to have pictures in the review and you delivered.

Oh...One thing I noticed about my WWII when I got it. It also had a karda and chakmak that had dings in them. Also there was a long scratch running up the length of my horn handle of the kukri. It was very noticeable and appeared to almost be a crack. I ended up soaking the karda and chakmak in boiled linseed oil, I then filled a rubber glove (condom works better lol) with boiled linseed oil and slipped the handle of the WWII in the gloved. I then took a rubber band and put it near the bolster and let it soak over night.
The crack/scratch disappeared and some of the little nicks look a lot smaller on the smaller knives. The horn is like finger nails and loves to soak up things just like when you get out of the shower. Its always easier to cut your finger nails and toe nails when they soak in water for awhile due to the pores. I suggest you try it and see if it works.

This is the EXACT knife i just received and im VERY happy with the quality of the Knife ! Same 3 "pin" handle and im happy someone else has the exact set up ! Mine has the same markings and I would Take Kumar out to dinner if i could meet up with him. LOL !! Now i know you are all gonna dive on me and can take it. But if i was gonna consider a smaller knife as a Light weight fighter... What should i look at ? a 15 inch m43 ? I was just wondering and congrats on the knife, i bet you love it as much as I love mine!!!

Couldn't stop handling this thing and admiring it, then the inevitable - yep I did it what you all warn about. Ran my hand down the blade's back looking at that clean sharp line along the spine and whamo --> cut my palm. ;-O Nothing too serious, but it's only the second time in my life I did that. My solution for feeling dumb was to email Yangdu and see if the Kumar kobra she had up on Sunday is still available. I wonder if my wife will understand that logic...

Well that is the most obvious thing to do Mr. Obvious:thumbup: Good luck on the Kobra.

Back