HI Medallion Give Away- (Spring Medallion Passaround Thread)

Misgods, Is that YOU in that Mullet?

Alas, it is not...I wish I could be as cool as that guy.

You see, the mullet has this kind of power, only a special, chosen person can display such a holy hair-do. This tradition has been passed down through the generations by the ancients. Once every 3 years, on the full moon, during the harvest the townspeople in small, secluded villages across the continent come together in a field farthest from the main roads, and they practice a blood ritual to decide who will be chosen for the next mullet.

This sacred ceremony starts with the making of a large bonfire and the consumption of special stimulants that whip them into a frenzy, they then begin beating each other with corn stalks. This dance like display of viciousness ends when there is only one male left standing, having beaten all the others down with their blessed corn stalks.

When he is the last one standing in the field this male is supposed to issue an ungodly howl of victory to let all of the other townsfolk know that the ritual is complete. As soon as they hear this bellow, they rush into the field, bear the victor upon their shoulders and present him with 6-packs of Pabst Blue Ribbon as nourishment because of the blood lost during the ritual. This crowd then rushes into the town to celebrate in the main square.

The wives and daughters of the fallen are left to attend to the dead and wounded in the field, there are doctors and priests on hand to rush in as soon as the mob, bearing the victor leaves. The wounded are attended to in the nearest hospital, but the dead are left in the field to help fertilize the blessed corn stalks for the next ceremony in 3 years time.

The victor now has the right to stop cutting his hair and let his now sanctified locks grow into the sacred and revered mullet, for the rest of his earthly existence.

THIS, is the true story of the mullet

Last edited:
HI medallion to Betty Page to Chuck Norris to Mullets!!! This has to be a world record thread drift. Pageophile's nom-d'guerre & avatar are a logical progression, but the rest?!?!?!?
Uplander

CLASSIC thread drift, my friend Uplander...CLAS-SIC:D

Did you know that every HI medallion has been hand crafted in the flames containing the ashes of the Fonz? Impressive since Henry Winkler is not dead. This is the magic HI works every day.

CLASSIC thread drift, my friend Uplander...CLAS-SIC:D

Did you know that every HI medallion has been hand crafted in the flames containing the ashes of the Fonz? Impressive since Henry Winkler is not dead. This is the magic HI works every day.

Only those dadgum aliens could concoct such a scheme.

Hasn't anyone warned the kamis not to get involved with aliens???

HI medallion to Betty Page to Chuck Norris to Mullets!!! This has to be a world record thread drift. Pageophile's nom-d'guerre & avatar are a logical progression, but the rest?!?!?!?
Uplander

But there have been two informative posts ...here they are again for those who drifted off:

I was sitting in the Doc's office a-waiting my turn, and reading a book I had picked up at Borders and in the section About Early Celtic Blades it said that Bladesmiths would bury in the ground the metal that they were going to use for the blades, wait 2 or 3 years then dig it up, and see where the corrosion and such was present and discard the "rotten" portions.
I have never heard of this.....
Anybody else have more info?
Thanks,
Ed

It's called seasoning the metal. All metal seasons to one degree or another. Basically, the metal stabilizes its structure, and the less desirable elements rust off. Ever hear people say how much better old axe heads are than new ones? It's not because they used better metal (they didn't) it's that the metal has been seasoning for decades.

This is a very common practice with all things cast iron. Engine blocks and machinery parts are cast, then left outside in the elements for two years before being used.

When I bought cast iron ankle blocks and knees for machining, I just threw them in the back yard for 6-9 months, then ground off the rust and ground them parallel and square, and they were extremely stable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolf said:
1989Hasn't anyone warned the kamis not to get involved with aliens???

.....they are aliens.

Klaatu Nichto Bishwakarma

Last edited:
I have been truly blessed by finding HI and the kind, generous folks at BF. Thanks to all.

I have been truly blessed by finding HI and the kind, generous folks at BF. Thanks to all.

Just wait until HIKV sets in and one of those 'kind, generous folk' shark the blade you have your heart set upon, then find out no more will ever be produced!:eek::D

0ne thing to consider though...

I didn't have my heart set on any particular khukuri until after I had received it in the mail.

After having acquired that one....

There's been some stunning blades posted here, some I tried to get but another shark was faster that day...

... and it doesn't bother me. At all.

Because I know no other blade I will ever obtain can take the place of favor my 21.5" Chitlangi has.

I have that one *special* khukuri. My precioussssssssss.

I dont think there are tooooo many hard feelings around here....it is a friendly competition

Yes indeed ... my attempt at humour did not read quite as well as I had intended.

As an aside I do think its possible to 'get your heart set' with the idea of a particular style of blade through a photo but I agree with Wolf that it is when you get the object of the of desire (Gee I glad we are talking knives here not women:eek:) in hand that desire grows into love.:eek:

If you get it, you were meant to get it.

If not, another will come along you were meant to have.

The first time I pulled that Chitlangi from the tribox and drew it from the scabbard, I felt like I had known it long ago and we had been reunited.

Got it for $100 on a DotD right before my birthday in 2007.

It's my 3rd khukuri from H.I.

If you get it, you were meant to get it.

If not, another will come along you were meant to have.

I know that is a commonly held belief held here ...I hope that it is right as it would console me over the blades I could have purchased but hesitated over and missed out on...

But it also makes me wonder why did I buy all those crappy ones as well as the good ones?:confused:

I don't think I ever got what I consider a "crappy" knife from HI. Closest would be "not quite what I expected."

As for missing one, A lot of times I've missed one that was so close to perfect, but had one thing off. For instance with that run of Bura Bowies -- so many great, but like 4 of them had horn handles, I figured that's all they came with and was dissappointed that I got sharked on them. I thought "Man, if they just made one with a satisal handle, it'd be ideal. Two days later: one with a satisal handle, and everyone was bitching that they didn't have any money, so Cpl. Shark scored. So, maybe there's something to the whole "destiny" thing.

Or, I'm just a rotten bastard that got there before the other rotten bastards. . .:D

Speaking of true loves: I know that feeling. My original 20" CAK had a lot of time and thought put in before I ordered it (waited like 2 years before ordering). After just about blowing a valve getting it out of the sheath (original sheath was WAY tight), I knew: this one's IT. I've since gotten others, including a Dui Chirra which I think is much nicer looking than the Ang Kholas, but that first CAK was dead on right. It's the one I always grab when I head out the door.

Back