HI Scramsax/Seax/Saex Design Thread

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
Anybody konw where the HI seax is in the whole process?
I dropped the ball last week because I've been out with a terrible cold - whole family, in fact. It's been miserable.

Anyway, I have the wood model. It's going to get reworked and sent off to Bill next Monday. Then we'll see what happens...:rolleyes:

But, so there's some redeeming value to this post other than jockeying this thread up in position:

fig4-1.gif

fig3-5.gif

qing4.jpg

layers.gif

practice.gif

Keith

Wood model has been completed. Here's a pic:

It will be on its way to Bill Monday morning...

:D:D:D

That should rest REAL nice in the hand. (will look a little funny with a half-inch spine, though)

Here are the stats:

Handle (including bolster) = 5.25"
Blade = 8.5"
OAL = 13.75"

At the bolster, the handle is 1.5" x 1.25" (H x W)
Circumference = 4.25"

The nice thing about this handle is that when you hold it, your hand does not touch the bolster. It's purposely bigger than the average 12-15" khuk (it's actually just barely smaller than my 22" GRS by Bura) at the bolster. It feels very comfortable in the hand and sure inspires confidence in the grip.

More stats:

Blade thickness = 1/4" at bolster, with distal taper
Edge type = zero edge design (no secondary bevel)
Blade height (after bolster) = 1.5"
Blade height at drop = 1.75"
Length of spine before drop = 4.5"
- important info for Keith

Note: If they make it like the model - there should be about 4.5" along the fuller to inscribe/etch.

You can't imagine what it's like to hold this thing in your hands...it's just amazing - and it's only basswood.

Credit goes to all those who participated in this and helped bring it to life. Let's hope the kami who makes this (hopefully Bura) sees what we see and returns a faithful product. It will be incredible!

Good stuff. Hey, how wide would you say that fuller is? 1/4inch or more? The smallest you can really get with the average rune and have it be readable is 1/4"x1/8" inch. With a fuller of 4.5 inches, the most runes you can put on one side (spaces between words counting as as runes) would be 15-17 runes. This will work with everyones designs, as I've already notified the few of you who have a really long line of characters that this will be a two sided etch.

Uncle Bill, let us know when that thang flies!

Thanks,

Keith

Originally posted by Ferrous Wheel
Hey, how wide would you say that fuller is?

The fuller itself is 1/4" wide. I think you mean the space above the fuller - which is 5/16". Hopefully they'll stick to the design and not put a sword of shiva there. If so, based on your minimums, that should be enough room for the runes.

It's going to be hard to send this off to Bill tomorrow. It was so much fun to make. I can hardly put it down. I thought about coating it with wood hardener, but the box that DaveK made is so sturdy, there's no way it will break en-route.

I'll print out some pictures today and it'll be in the mail tomorrow. I'll update the projected timeline at that time.

It is a huge relief to see the model turn out so well.

Dan, you managed to fix it up when I was afraid the whole thing was ruined.

Still planning on sending the kamis the sheath and the regia.org pics?

I am so glad to see this turn out OK after all.

-Dave

PS-any chance of posting pics of my unique sheath work?:p

Originally posted by Dave K
Still planning on sending the kamis the sheath and the regia.org pics?

-Dave

PS-any chance of posting pics of my unique sheath work?:p

Dave, if Dan does send your sheath I hope you have a lot better luck than I did with the Cherokee Rose Sheath.
The model I sent did not have that big ugly hump on the top of it.:rolleyes: :barf:
I designed the sheath straight so that the frog could be removed over the end and reversed to the other side so it could be worn on either side, didn't happen.:(

Pen. and for the record, I didn't minnd DaveK's first model at all, both seem sound and true embodiments of what the seax should be.

Keith

Here's a rough scan of the page that will be included (several copies) with the seax.

Hopefully we can get Pala to do some explaining for us and have Bura make the end product.

Wood model has been sent to Bill via US Priority Mail.

Updated timeframe:

• Mar. 24 - wood model goes to Uncle
  • Mar. 28 - wood model sent to Nepal
  • Apr. 28 - scrams arrive in NV - (8 to Keith)
  • May 1 - scrams arrive in IN
  • May 7-9 - scrams arrive at your home

What a great idea! That would surely help the Kamis to interpret what we desire.

"Hmmmm, I'm starting to really like the look of this one"-Sarge
;):) Heehe ehe. I think those pix give me Deja-View.

Keith

Uncle has the wood model and is communicating our design ideas to Pala. Looks like this one's going to be a real dandy!

I wish I could have passed the wood model around for everyone to try out - it's quite the knife. From the moment I pulled DaveK's model out of the box, I knew this knife would be magic. It sings, it sings. :eek: :eek:

Now comes the hard part....

"Hurry up and wait"

Back