Hi there and a new guy question

Hello all
I am a retired engineer and have had a long interest in sharpening.
I recently bought the Ruixin RX008, and after some 'tune-up', I like it pretty well except the stones are wearing real fast (maybe 5 blades sharpened so far).
Does anybody know of a source for replacement stones? They are without a base and are 20mm x 150 mm x 5mm thick.
How about experience with Chinese diamond plated stones in this size, such as on Amazon or Ebay?
I am also looking at the mold polishing stones carried by McMaster-Carr as a possibility.
Any other suggestions also appreciated.
Thanks much
Jay M

Jay, welcome to the Maintenance forum. Several here have written that the Chinese diamond plates are decent. Good luck. DM

Hi Jay,
do you know Edge Pro sharpening stones? They should fit into your system, too. https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/edge-pro-apex-sharpening-stones.htm. They are available on Amazon, too. You can buy them mounted or not mounted.
There are other brands that offer stones in that size, like Shapton, Naniwa Chosera, Norton or Suehiro Cerax. Or the Russian Venev diamond stones. Or natural stones like Blue Belgian stone.
Depends on how often you sharpen knives, the steel, how much you want to spend...

Last edited:
Hi Jay,
do you know Edge Pro sharpening stones? They should fit into your system, too. https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/edge-pro-apex-sharpening-stones.htm. They are available on Amazon, too. You can buy them mounted or not mounted.
There are other brands that offer stones in that size, like Shapton, Naniwa Chosera, Norton or Suehiro Cerax. Or the Russian Venev diamond stones. Or natural stones like Blue Belgian stone.
Depends on how often you sharpen knives, the steel, how much you want to spend...

Thanks, good info.
I'm thinking of trying some die polishing stones made by Boride abrasives. I emailed them and they suggested their CS-HD stones. They are a silicon carbide with a harder binder so they don't wear down so fast.
Any experience with these?
Regards
Jay

Hey, Jay.
Cheap Chinese stones don't perform well. Regardless, all stones will need to be flattened periodically. A glass plate with silicon carbide powder is what you'll need. Better stones will allow you to do better work. Chosera's are nice. EdgePro stones are ok. If you're looking for diamond, look no further than the diamond matrix stones from EdgePro. They are GREAT. I have a vast array of stones, and use most of them, but the EP diamond matrix are the most versatile.

Hey, Jay.
Cheap Chinese stones don't perform well. Regardless, all stones will need to be flattened periodically. A glass plate with silicon carbide powder is what you'll need. Better stones will allow you to do better work. Chosera's are nice. EdgePro stones are ok. If you're looking for diamond, look no further than the diamond matrix stones from EdgePro. They are GREAT. I have a vast array of stones, and use most of them, but the EP diamond matrix are the most versatile.

Thanks Rusty, I'll have a look at the EP's
Regards, J.

Thanks, good info.
I'm thinking of trying some die polishing stones made by Boride abrasives. [...] Any experience with these?
No, sorry.

From my experience it is not easy to find the right stones. Diamond stones are good because they work quickly, you can use them dry and they won't need to be flattened.
Just a suggestion: You can mix the stones you are going to buy. You don't have to buy a whole set of diamonds, Chosera or whatever. I.e. as you will need different grits (as it is with your Chinese stones) you could use diamonds as coarse grit stones and take ceramics for honing. For example. Or whatever sounds good for you.

No, sorry.

From my experience it is not easy to find the right stones. Diamond stones are good because they work quickly, you can use them dry and they won't need to be flattened.
Just a suggestion: You can mix the stones you are going to buy. You don't have to buy a whole set of diamonds, Chosera or whatever. I.e. as you will need different grits (as it is with your Chinese stones) you could use diamonds as coarse grit stones and take ceramics for honing. For example. Or whatever sounds good for you.

Thank again. I'm getting some good info from you guys; I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Regards
J.

Hey, Jay.
I have the EP stones up to 1000. Which stones would be good to get above the 1000 grit. I am just learning the system so I don’t have much experience.

Hello all
I am a retired engineer and have had a long interest in sharpening.
I recently bought the Ruixin RX008, and after some 'tune-up', I like it pretty well except the stones are wearing real fast (maybe 5 blades sharpened so far).
Does anybody know of a source for replacement stones? They are without a base and are 20mm x 150 mm x 5mm thick.
How about experience with Chinese diamond plated stones in this size, such as on Amazon or Ebay?
I am also looking at the mold polishing stones carried by McMaster-Carr as a possibility.
Any other suggestions also appreciated.
Thanks much
Jay M
Hi Jay,

The chinese diamond plated stones are some of the most underrated stones for the money that you can possibly buy. They are absolutely worth getting, just make sure to use them with some soapy water when sharpening. As for the other "ruixin" chinese stones (the non-diamond plated ones)...they are absolute garbage.

You may need some upgraded stone holders and handle for the RX-008 when you start experimenting with various stones, the original ones don't work with all stones - especially not shorter stones. I have some free 3D printable stone holders and handle as part of my many upgrades for the RX-008, link attached for you. -

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4581708

Enjoy!

I have the EP stones up to 1000. Which stones would be good to get above the 1000 grit. I am just learning the system so I don’t have much experience.

That question is more complicated than you might imagine. I have stones up to around 8k, and CBN slurry down to about a quarter micron. However, it's not often that I go that fine nowadays. I like to sharpen most of my EDC knives at either 250 or 650 on the EP diamond matrix stones. Kitchen knives go a little finer. With that said, maybe 2.5k is as fine as you'd want to go now, but you probably have what you need to put a great edge on a blade. With attention to detail, you should be able to create a great edge with your EP 1k.

That question is more complicated than you might imagine. I have stones up to around 8k, and CBN slurry down to about a quarter micron. However, it's not often that I go that fine nowadays. I like to sharpen most of my EDC knives at either 250 or 650 on the EP diamond matrix stones. Kitchen knives go a little finer. With that said, maybe 2.5k is as fine as you'd want to go now, but you probably have what you need to put a great edge on a blade. With attention to detail, you should be able to create a great edge with your EP 1k.
I truly appreciate the info.

Back