HI wood shipment thread

Lol! MS .. Ive been working on that one for thirty years now:thumbup: I dont know why they wont just give it too me?

found a really great source that is x10 better in price than my previous attempts ! they have really good stuff; some of this may end up in the hands of HI. ( dont know about the import/export stuff for nepal USA on some of these woods but we will check with yangdu, anything left from mine may end up on a dotd in a year or so :D)

X10 better price or better stuff or what? We still talking wood or did I miss the last track switch?

yeah camatillo-- found much bigger boards for half the price of other places-- same quality they just dont polish them up for you, big pieces too 4x4x48 for 35 dollars; a 1x1x18 cost 38 on other websites

I have a set of dessert iron 1911 grips...or I should say I had a pair. I sold them for some Australian morel burl grips that are soooooo gorgeous. The is dramatic color changing going on with a almost "brain" like swirling burl structure. Very rare and very beautiful. I will try and post pics of them this weekend along with a few pics of the 1911 its mounted on.

Iron wood is rare and expensive. They only harvest it once a year in Arizona. I have a great source for it. Here is a link for good wood to make handle scales for... I don't want to advertise anything for anyone but here is a link for good iron wood. ( I hope its ok to put there website down...they don't sell knives or anything of the sort just wood...hope its ok to post)
http://www.arizonaironwood.com/

Stabilized wood especially the burls rocks! I got quite a bit of that dust in my lungs. Sure pretty and durable as all get out.

My first grips were mostly ironwood, there was a shop in town that had a bunch, I did a little Ndog dumpster diving and got some, not easy to dive dumpsters from a wheelchair but they seen me and after that they set some of the good pieces out for me. Real nice of em.

Thanks for the link Mr. berserka, I been using WSSI but he cuts to order, doesn't do computer much, prefers phone and I can't hear so while he's a great guy and always send top notch product it's a bit difficult sometimes.
This place looks like you can pick the piece you want.
Wish it wasn't all so pricey but it's worth it. Never cracks or shrinks etc. Just hurts bad if you mess up.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to my little website. Mostly pictures of some of the grips and stuff I've made over the years. I'll have to check and see if that's ok.

.... what is the best wood you have ever worked with ? best finish and all that for scales or whatever anyone

I think I'd vote for Australian bloodwood. Hard, dense, deep red-brown color, takes an incredible finish. Very stable. There's a variety called cardinalwood that I've seen but haven't worked with; has a lighter color and a more visible grain pattern.

My second choice would probably be purpleheart (Peltogyne/amaranth). Hard, dense, straight-grain (usually), water-resistant, beautiful purple color, also takes an incredible finish.

I also like gaboon ebony, but unless you get it very dry it tends to develop cracks.

Lignum vitae (ironwood) takes a great polish and is waterproof, but it's hard to work. You can rough-cut it on a tablesaw, but after that it's mostly filing and sanding. Trying to plane ironwood just leads to tear-out due to the tangled grain.

Purpleheart and Wenge are both beautiful woods but both are a challenge to checker. The grain is very pronounced and it wants to fight the cutter.

purple heart is very affordable too-- do you guys think this would be a cool wood to send the kami? I want to get a load of special woods for HI to make some stuff, expense does come to mind obviously-- purpleheart really seems nice and unique for the price; my camatillo is fairly expensive

ok just got word from auntie that the exotic woods is a go-- I have to make sure everything is okay with the CITES paperwork , but soon I will be giving some 100 lbs of wood to HI to make whatever they want ! ( should be mostly purple heart with some camatillo) huzzah

also antlers are not importable to nepal apparently, but if anyone wants to contribute wood to this package feel free as I will be gathering it up over the next 2 months, until I ship to reno anyone can piggy back some wood to give to the kami if they want; to be used in whatever the kami choose. remember even a small set of blocks is fine to make a single knife handle , either way will be cool--- feel free to keep posting about wood working, as there seem to be quite a few wood workers lurking here.

Last edited:
anyone interested in contributing to the wood shipment should mail me your wood before october the 31st; I am planning on getting the shipment together and organized by then and shipped in the 1st of november-- so far there are several boards of purpleheart and redheart, along with some kingswood and desert ironwood. I am going to label the wood as best I can for the kami so they are not taken off guard by the tool destroying nature of some of the harder woods. the majority of the wood will be easy to work, contact me by PM or by email if you want to contribute-- remember antlers cannot be shipped, only non CITES listed woods.

As my father explained to me when I was a boy, a BS degree is Bull S---.
An MS degree means More S---.
And a PHD degree means Piled Higher and Deeper.

(Has anyone NOT heard that joke before?)

I heard that one before. It's a pretty old saying, learned it from grandpa.

Course might be a lot richer iffen I had one of the Piled Higher and Deeper degrees or would have married a hot doctor. Bet the nagging from a wife/doctor would be relentless.

I married a RN, almost as bad as a Dr.

Nagging is a little relentless, but at least she doesn't get on me too much about my "sharking". We're not rich by any means, but considering where we live, we are at the "lower end" of "better off than most". So, nagging comes with the territory.

so far we probably have in donated wood:

1 scale block of desert iron wood
1 scale block of ipe
1 1.5x1.5x12 kingswood
1 1x2.5x18 kingswood
2 purpleheart boards ( 2x4x60)--these might be cut again to make x2 30s
2 padouk boards (2x4x60) again ''

(kingswood is mine obviously; the boards are on order, but not arrived, remember it only takes a small block to make a good pair of knife scales !-- even small donations are welcome)--I have lots of other wood I am considering but its hard to send this off to let people cut it when its so pretty already!

Last edited:
I married a RN, almost as bad as a Dr.

Nagging is a little relentless, but at least she doesn't get on me too much about my "sharking". We're not rich by any means, but considering where we live, we are at the "lower end" of "better off than most". So, nagging comes with the territory.
cul I knew we had something other than khuks in common! I married one and my mom was one too! I thought when we got married that "RN" meant "Registered Nurse". I later found out it meant "Relentless Nagging" :D Even says so on their diploma!
edit: And I paid for her schooling!

cul I knew we had something other than khuks in common! I married one and my mom was one too! I thought when we got married that "RN" meant "Registered Nurse". I later found out it meant "Relentless Nagging" :D Even says so on their diploma!
edit: And I paid for her schooling!

HAHA...I gotta remember that one, "Registered Nurse". I later found out it meant "Relentless Nagging", that comment is so true.

I see we both spent money on their schooling, but then, can't argue with the compensation they get for their services. I can say her earning vs the cost of her schooling was way better than mine was. If I had known now how lucrative being an RN was, I would've went through the AA program at City College, rather than go to CAL, spend a fortune for a BS in finance, and work twice as hard than my wife, and she still brings home more!

For the lifestyle and the support/understanding of my HIKV, I can handle the nagging; sort of...:)

Gehazi, you want some Iowa black walnut and/or curly maple, both red and rock? harvested the trees myself and have scraps of various sizes.

will accept anything suitable for kami's bookie, those both sound like good quality woods!

Back