HI wood shipment thread

coming together quickly guys, gonna move the cut off date for mailing in your own wood to me for the big HI shipment to october the 1st-- if you want to piggyback wood for your own customs or if you want to donate wood for special HI offerings please PM me for shipping address before the month is out, and mail your stuff before october so I can mail the package and pay for customs before the 1st of november.

thanks everyone for help and interest!

these boards are probably all going to HI -- cameroon ebony , african blackwood , mexican kingswood and purple heart

little over half of this is going to HI, some I am keeping ( mainly pen blanks) but this is gonna make some magical HI products, this wood is just magnificent.

Wow, and each piece is labeled and I think you said you intended some notes for the Kamis on "tool destructive tendancies" of certain woods? Quite the treasure trove. I am looking forward to seeing what they choose to make with all of these options, should be some incredible stuff made soon.

yeah everything is going to be labeled so the kami do not hurt tools trying to work it-- the wood will be graded by workability ( and type) so they know what to call the finished product -- I will leave enough room for auntie to translate for me if she can , as I am pretty sure the kami do not speak english :D-- some of the boards could provide several more scales than I realize, depending on what blades they choose to use the material on.

kingswood (camatillo)-- moderate amount
ebony (cameroon, legal to export)- very little
purple heart- lots
red heart-lots
pink ivory- almost unique
desert ironwood- almost unique
african blackwood- scarce
burmese rosewood- almost unique
burmese blackwood-almost unique
blue mahoe- scarce
snakewood-almost unique
macassar ebony- scarce
Wenge- moderate

My order is going to use mainly the kingswood with maybe one use of ebony, snakewood and desert iron-- but I am sending enough for well more than my blades on each one of these, but it will not be more than a few or even just one on the snakewood and other very rare things. Anything that was not banned from trade I tried to buy some and send it to HI though, so it will be a very special run of blades, as many of the woods being used now will not be available within 5 years or less.

I would be sending some cocobolo as well but that has recently been banned from trade. I think gaboon ebony is also up to be banned for international trade but cameroon and a few other nations have international trade available.

Also remember guys if you want to send wood for a custom you have at HI -- I can easily slip this into my shipment and make it much much easier for you than it would be otherwise-- so now is the time if you want special woods used on a custom HI knife, I will label it for you and include it in my total shipment free of charge ;PM or email me for my shipping info , need to get this to me before october 12

though a donation to the general kami fund (medical/educational/holidays) would be very much appreciated and in the spirit of the shipment :D)

Last edited:
.... I would be sending some chocobolo as well but that has recently been banned from trade. I think gaboon ebony is also up to be banned for international trade but cameroon and a few other nations have international trade available....

I'm not sorry to hear that cocobolo is banned from trade. It's one of the most toxic of the tropical hardwoods, though I doubt that's the reason for the ban. You don't want to breath cocobolo sawdust or get it on your skin, which is exactly what happens in all but the most sophisticated shops. Considering the conditions under which the kamis work, best that they're not getting cocobolo.

I will be sorry to lose access to gaboon ebony.

I've has so much cocobolo sawdust in and on me in the past that my ring around the collar was red. The lines in my hands broke out and hands were discolored.

I tried wearing a mask but it never lasted long, can't work with that stuff on your face. And gloves were out for the same reason.

Beautiful wood though, made a lot of pistol grips out of it. Probably why I am the way I am, just a little off?

Some people have severe or long-lasting allergic reactions to cocobolo. such as skin irritation. Looks like you're one of the lucky ones who don't. There are other woods that can do this, but cocobolo rates very high in terms of toxicity.

I agree that it's beautiful, and I used to work with it, but not any more.

Oh I got skin irritation big time and when I had several back to back projects and spent lots of hours messing with it I would sometimes be sick for a few days.

Blood Wood is another really bad one. The boys at the wood store said any wood with red in it is toxic.

Some are very much effected by cedar.

Oh I got skin irritation big time and when I had several back to back projects and spent lots of hours messing with it I would sometimes be sick for a few days.

Blood Wood is another really bad one. The boys at the wood store said any wood with red in it is toxic.

Some are very much effected by cedar.

A few years ago a spent a day stuffing pieces of a red cedar tree I took down into a big wood chipper. I was stupid and didn't wear a mask, even though the gusty and variable wind kept blowing the dust all around. By the end of the day I started feeling really sick, and it took another day and a half before I started feeling better. I hadn't realized that cedar could be so toxic before that.

very strange, I must not be allergic-- I worked without a mask and covered in cocobolo dust smoothing out one of my pieces, did not even get irritated. apparently the reactive chemical in rosewoods is called dalbergiones ; I am also not allergic to poison ivy, sumac, or oak-- I can rub it between my hands without any effect.

How bout sidewinder rattle snakes, you effected by them?

Your very lucky. I don't think I'm too bothered by coco bolo, only time it really nailed me was during very long sessions and working on multiple pieces in sequence. Kind of a steady diet of the stuff.

It sure is pretty.

Too much of anything can cause allergic reactions and even anaphalactic something or other shock. 5160 is notorious for this. I can help ya with that tho:D

Too much of anything can cause allergic reactions and even anaphalactic something or other shock. 5160 is notorious for this. I can help ya with that tho:D

lol...Dog is really working this allergy angle to his benefit...:)

I thought Purple Heart was toxic as well.

Looking forward to seeing what all this wood becomes.

yeah all the colored woods have some toxicity, all will carry warnings and hopefully kami will pay attention. plus it is a relatively small amount in the one or two packages, so they will not be working with it for a very long time, and same here biker, I expect some real classics to come out of it.

last call guys, I will not accept any wood for shipments after october 1st-- these will have to be done in two loads of 50 lbs each, I may just do one 50lb shipment as the customs will set me back 275 per shipment of 50lbs -- So this will never ever happen again :D

Dang that's a lot! Customs is apparently big business too. I have to wonder if it's worth it.

yeah it will bring in extra money for the kami fund, in the end that is why I am donating all this wood, -- just a side benefit that I am also placing orders for some customs to use the wood I am sending, so all in all I feel fine in doing it --- once :D

Extraordinarily generous of you Gehazi, I look forward to some great stuff from the kamis utilizing the wood you are sending over.

ha, its self interest-
- I want sweet customs with exotic grips, I would have to pay for it anyway-- this way I can just also benefit truly generous person-- yangdu -- and I hope I send enough that everyone has a chance at one of these really cool blades;

though HI has had some really beautiful wood lately, this stuff will at least look unusual. but in the end this is just garnish for what we all go to HI for: the steel.

Back