HI wood shipment thread

I stay clear of those forums as people are not only passionate but thin skinned as well.

Me too. I'm both of those things when it comes to my country and beliefs.

I'm fairly thick skinned when it comes to criticism and nit picking. I've been married most of my life.

Me too. I'm both of those things when it comes to my country and beliefs.

I'm fairly thick skinned when it comes to criticism and nit picking. I've been married most of my life.

Married men I think need "thick skins", how else can we treat our HIKV?

That being said, I agree with dirtbiker, I diagree with "banning" someone for "airing out" their beliefs, or reasons, or whatever, in a forum that instigates those issues in itself. Just because he "may have done something inappropiate" in a "political arena" doesn't negate the fact that he is a very valued member on this forum. He may have views that do not agree with others, but he hasn't "aired" them here, which he shouldn't, I believe he "aired" them where they were meant to be.

Besides, we are all adults, and we all have our own beliefs, and moral values, some may conform with the majority of peoples, and sometimes not, regardless, "adults", do not need to agree with another, but we must always "respect" each others individual belief/moral stances.

OK, now that I got that off my chest, I hope I don't get an infraction.

I find this subject sad. I am in favor of free speech, but must question the intelligence behind allowing a sub-forum that invites a verbal blood bath caused by diverging opinions. As for "trolling", the only troll I know of is an ex-Momma in law.

IMHO guys.... a political forum is basically a snare for entrapment. Really. Discussions of poilitics and religion are taboo and usually end with a war of sorts.
I think moderators should eliminate that forum all together and not tempt people to battle in that arena. Let's not forget that a certain type of person will die for his/her
religion or political view... you just have to ask,, why is this forum here to begin with? It's all bad energy.
VIVA GEHAZI

It's tough sometimes. With guns and knives you can't hardly talk about them without politics rearing it's ugly head. Wanting to make laws about this or that and who has an agenda and then the name calling of the folks that support the silly new ideas that don't make no sense at all to the guy with 1% common sense and a fully functioning brain.

I agree it's a bad thing. Most places have a separate area just so the folks that don't want to look at it, don't have to. It worked for me here, I didn't even know it was there and I'm in process of forgetting it's there as we speak.

We'll have to watch and see how the Gehazi saga pans out.

I call on the moderators of this website to eliminate the Political forum all together.
Blades and the enthusiasm of knives, etc. -to me- have never involved politics.
The leading edge of KNIFE discussion..... not politics.
VIVA GEHAZI.

Alright folks. After some talk, Gehazis account has been reinstated.

It will be up to him whether he comes back or not. It will also be his choice to follow the rules of any forum he participates in and to listen to moderator instruction whether he agrees with it or not. We all have choices, lets make good ones.

The rules for the political forum are here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...the-Arena-Read-before-posting-UPDATED-9-11-08

As a member of HI, it is appreciated if you good people keep your noses outta there. Nothing good ever really comes from discussing politics or religion with friends.

Last edited:
Great news! He is an asset to this forum, if not a bit of a character. But really, who among us isn't a bit of a character?

As a member of HI, it is appreciated if you good people keep your noses outta there. Nothing good ever really comes from discussing politics or religion with friends.

Nothing good ever comes out of discussing, or asking others about politics, religion, and careers/type of job one does. I learned to not discuss these issues from my grandfather when I was 16 years old, and have followed it since. Best advice I ever received and follow to this day.

That being said, WELCOME back Gehazi! Missed ya, and you have a lot of love here in the HI forum.

Last edited:
Very glad to hear that! He was and is a valued contibutor to the forum.

the wood pile has only grown , and given me a better idea of what is suitable for HI-- it has been pushed back because I refocused and I want to acquire a giant desert ironwood log to ship to nepal, so they can use it for a long time -already talking to a guy in NM for this, should be around 500 dollars for the log - the one log would be an entire shipment though as it is 50 lbs -- mostly what I want to send to HI now is exotic wood from the americas-- primarily desert ironwood, and mexican kingswood-- both are still internationally available for trade and should not be taken out in customs, I am unsure on my ebony if it would make the trip( some nations ban it others do not, also depends on species of ebony)

The only difference in my plan was I was going to do the wood shipment and just buy everything for my own collection :D, now that I have normal access again, I dont feel like I need to keep it all for myself.-- but I am tangled in a few other things, and want to clear up my bills before dropping a grand on just shipping 100 lbs of exotic wood. I have also developed a burl collection, and I fully intend to send some of my applebox and mallee burls to HI

Last edited:
Ah sometimes when a project reaches such a large scope a refocus is a very good thing.

a whole log of ironwood? Wow, but I read somewhere that logs of ironwood are full of cracks and making what they call "clean turning blanks" (the blocks of solid wood people usually buy to cut scales ect. out of) usually requires removal of over 85% of the log. Do you think the scales are small enough they can be done between the cracking? or use the smaller pieces for kardas/chakmas? I don't think the kamis have a lot of stabalizing agents that they could use to fill and seal cracks and voids like many US wood turners use. Just wondering if you already planned for that sort of thing, or maybe that was part of the discussion with the seller over the particular log you would choose or what? I get very curious about everything and when I heard log...ironwood...kamis I immediately think "yes please" then I start trying to calculate the details and run into tons of questions LOL. My husband says that if I was a cat the curiousity would have killed all 9 lives before I made it to 5 years old.

yeah I am actually going to buy the equipment and cut up the log for HI myself, the pictures make it look like it has almost no voids, its a very solid log, I expect less than 50 percent loss, probably more like just 20 percent, he may have sold the one I wanted already though, and the other one I expect will only lose about 30 percent, so its still very good

and yeah I already talked to yangdu, the buying logs thing is just cheaper for me, but only if I get a good saw for making my own squares, the kami have no big saws or heavy tools for working a material like desert iron, but they can use files on premade scales-- so yeah it may take longer but its still in the pipe, and hopefully everything will be planned enough that we do not run into any insurmountable snags :D

also after you get past the bad bits in desert iron it is much like ebony in that it takes an extremely fine polish and can hold fine detail because of the super tight grain,it will check more than ebony, but can still be worked well and finely. buckeye burl must be stabilized I think for good knife handles( I do have a vaccuum chamber, but am unsure how to do this) and burls in general can probably be helped by some infusion of resins-- and I will definitely look into that before sending the burls, the first shipment will definitely be desert iron and other north and south american exotics

Last edited:
Stabilizing wood is a science all it's own. Not all stabilized wood is created equal.

I've bought from a few suppliers and some is bomb proof and couldn't be better. Others the formula is apparently off, make a set of gun grips and the first shoot they split or break.

Knife handles are a bit more forgiving since they are glued in their entirety so the knife helps hold them together.

Stabilizing is bloody expensive though. Sure makes it sweet when it's done properly.

Wow, and then the saws and tools will also help with your new wood hobbies as well. Makes a lot more sense now that some of the details start coming out. Way neat. And even with some of that loss you can do smaller items, so that keeps the 30% range viable for loss. Great and VERY interesting. Thanks.

yeah and you can even use waste chips in inlays on other projects, and use the sawdust to make patch paste ( at least with some of the even colored woods) for the voids , the cost of the basic materials makes you want to not waste anything lol

Back