HI wood shipment thread

Welcome back, Gehazi.

The problem with a political discussion forum is not the controversy. People who have strong views and enjoy debating them can handle that.

The problem is the disparity in power. When some people have the power to interpret the rules and ban other people, it's best not to engage in controversial subjects in that arena. It's a bit like debating politics and religion with your boss, or the neighborhood cop.

Another problem is that a serious discussion requires some common ground to begin with, otherwise people just talk past each other, misunderstand and make assumptions about each other, and sooner or later get angry. Then someone gets banned, or hit over the head with a liquor bottle, or stabbed, depending on the venue. :grumpy:

I'd be interested to see a photo of the 50 lb ironwood log, with dimensions. I haven't worked with desert ironwood, but I have made some things out of lignum vitae and seen some of the logs. That stuff is heavy -- denser than water. A 50 lb log of ironwood isn't really very big.

Yeah, I can see it being a game to find ways to minimize the losses and make the absolute most use of all of it. Sounds fun. Can't wait to see pictures of the entire process and like Davidf99 says the LOG!! This is going to be COOL

yeah it is only like 9x9x40 david, and is a little better than 50 lbs, the same amount of lignum I imagine would be around 70?-- waiting on email from guy to see if he still has it.

I probably missed this one, but am trying to get one like it

you can see what I mean by it being remarkably solid and free of voids and checks

I have several handforged knives with ironwood handles from Mexico. They were forged in the 40's or 50's, and the handles are still in fine shape. No discernible shrinkage around the metal fittings.

guy sold that good log and the other , so I may just buy a mess of scales and send them to nepal, seems like it would be much easier for kami this way

Ah, i finally get why the waste percentage from the log was so different from the calculations I was seeing. That log is already very far cleaned up beyond what I was thinking as the starting point. Seriously too bad that they sold already, it looks like that could have had some really nice grain patterns. I thought the idea was to cut it yourself so the kamis would have been getting basic planks anyways? Whatever works out the best, I am sure the kamis will make some incredible things out of it.

Friends. If you value Gehazis continued participation here. Urge him to stay out of the political forum.
Because of his actions in that forum.... again, he has put himself in danger of banning. His next post in that forum will be his last.
He is given fair notice and warning. I hope he heeds them.

Gehazi, I value your wisdom and khuk pictures on this forum. Please change your signature to "I think I have a problem with politicians" and be done with it. Let sleeping dogs lie brother :D

Friends. If you value Gehazis continued participation here. Urge him to stay out of the political forum.
Because of his actions in that forum.... again, he has put himself in danger of banning. His next post in that forum will be his last.
He is given fair notice and warning. I hope he heeds them.

Gehazi Brother - Do heed Karda's warning, you are a valued member of this HI forum, and we all rallied to ask the moderators to allow you back, they have done so, and you have gone to the political forum again, since your reinstatement. Personally, that is unwise, just leave the political forum altogether, don't even "lurk" there, because that will only tempt you to "reply" back to something, and being banned again. I doubt the moderators will allow you to be reinstated a second time. I really appreciate your support of HI, and I beg you, please stay as far away from the political forum, as possible. Nothing but "bad" things happen there.

What they said Gehazi! Find another unrelated forum to expouse your plattitude. When you get a feeling like throwing some political punches go there instead. Aint you ever heard "dont get your steel where you get your wood"? Er..was that meat and bread? Sort of applies here. Were glad your back but if you get banned again after we spoke up for ya your on your own.

I'm hoping that you don't go there at all, Gehazi. If the temptation is too great, then you could voluntarily downgrade your membership so that you are not able to even view the political forum.

Gehazi, I'm being totally serious here. Many folks on this forum stood up for you a few weeks ago, and BIG TIME. That says loads. They like you. They appreciate your contributions. They want you around. Don't slam their efforts in their faces. If you want to beat some political opponent up, do me for size. I guarantee I'll take any opposite stance to you and then you can flail away, brother. If you can not respect the members who respect you, then it is time to pull up stakes. Cut'em some slack, man.

I understand the temptation and one of the reasons I like this forum perhaps even more than the forum I play moderator on is total lack of politics. I just have to avoid it completely. I can't keep my fingers off the keyboard when I read stupid stuff.

Total abstinence is best in many things in life especially political discussions. Whiskey is very good in moderation to help forget about the abstinence in so many things mentioned earlier.

Gehazi, please listen to all these good folks and just stay away from the politics forum, at least here on Bladeforums. There are lots of other political forums where you could rant all you want and not get banned from the HI forum. I was one of the HI members that implored the moderators to give you another chance. Please don't waste it!!!!!

Yep, having frequented many forums & been banned for years on most. {including this one} Id say don't argue repeatedly with the blokes who can ban you... It not a level playing field.

I can be a zealot but arguing with those who will never agree with you serves no point other than an outlet for your emotion's...

Other outlets may be more in your interest...long term..

& if you make a habit of it. {Like me.} it says more about you than them perhaps?

spiral

One has to wrap their mind around the fact that no it is not a level playing field. It's a privately owned forum with no first amendment rights.

Having been on both ends of this, here with no powers or magic buttons and another forum where I do have the ''Button" it has to be that way or it would be a run away train.

Trying to keep the site pleasant for the majority can be a real balancing act.

On the other forum I sometimes have to hold myself back or risk banning myself sometimes.

Yup just steer clear of politics, think and focus on warm happy thoughts and and (I seem to have developed a stutter) you'll all have a much more harmonious outcome.

Basically, a political and/or religion forum is like a tank of piranhas.

Stick a hand in the tank, and you'll pull back a "stump", it is a "NO WIN" situation....

I totally feel like a d bag for losing my marbles in political again, obviously, I appreciate kardas efforts to keep me from being banned again, and to talk sense into me-- after spending a few days away and letting the madness and foolishness of anger pass( anger over trivial matters that nobody can change), most of all I feel crappy for pooping on the actions of the people who wanted me back before, I really disrespected that, and disregarded it in my anger, that is really the only problem I have with the whole thing.

that all being said, I have not posted there again obviously( or I would be gone) and this , with me, apparently, is a necessity as I am pretty uppity....and I hope I can keep myself from being a poophead, but I already failed once :D , so I will just say I made it so far, and hopefully I have finally gotten enough of this and remember why I showed up to HI forums in the first place, why I paid for membership, and why I like participating so much in the other parts of the forum.

but yeah, what bookie said, I feel I really disrespected you guys by bringing a lot of drama after saying I would keep myself sound, anger is madness but that is no excuse as I say many times =-=- I do appreciate you guys and this forum, and will endeavor to remember that if I ever get the urge to cruise politics here again.

thanks yall

btw have bought some killer desert ironwood burls for HI on other site for a steal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back