HI wood shipment thread

I would like a room of exotic woods and extinct animal skulls, and gold, lots of goooold

If y'all are getting a room make sure to message me with the room number!

seriously though, I do appreciate you guys, I feel real dumb, and it means a lot you all accept me even when you all disagree with me on most things, we can all agree that we love HI and that will now be my focus on blade forums, ,instead of stupid posturing for nothing.

Gehazi, I don't post here very often, and this is the only forum I have ever posted on at all (as Y2K was one of the biggest let downs of my life. I jokingly call myself a "shaved ape" and borderline Neanderthal, borderline only because I prefer steel over stone.)

I made my first post on a forum, ever, several months ago. I posted my second (How can anyone not love the klvuk), and my wife thought I was nuts (nutser?) when I got my first response to it and got excited. She looked at me funny and she asked "what the h___ is a Bawanna?" She then gave me the same look when I got excited about the next response and she asked "Gehazi? what's a Gehazi?", (followed by the same process with Philll and Bookie and then she gave up). I tried to explain to her how important these people are on this forum, the Great "Bawanna", The Great "Gehazi", etc. (This excitement may seem lame to some, but, please forgive my newbieness as computers are still in the realm of voodoo to me) My story having been validated by these names I had seen so frequently showed me the welcomeness of the HI forum.

I had lurked this forum for several months before getting a membership so I could see all the pictures the other members posted. (I had waited so long out of pure troglodite paranoia). I knew from the thread that involved Ndog's rabbit catching "puppy" that your political views were way different from mine, but found no insult by them. This also did not in any way diminish my respect for your knowledge in this forum. Your knowledge and insight on the subjects of khukuris (khukuren?) and other exotic edge weapons are something I have found highly informative.

I was glad to see your membership reinstated. You and I have never spoken, or met, and could easily walk past one another without even knowing it, but you are a friend. Your absence was felt, and your return, valued.

Last edited:
Well said Sleeper! By the way, Your ideas and info on cleaning blades and others have been great additions to the pool of knowledge you speak of, so very glad you have found us worth stepping out of the shadows for. And LOL Bookie!

Gehazi, As Sleeper reminds us with the reference to the rabbit puppy post ALL of us have times where a comment gets away. Ever since that post my primary thought when I post has been. From what I have learned about Uncle Bill, is this post I am about to press send on keeping in the spirit of what he would consider reasonable? If the answer is even maybe I retype it until the answer is YES or sometimes I just let it go and don't respond at all. Doesn't mean I can't question things or point out different views but it does keep me from posting angry.

Hang in there, just tell yourself that part of the forum no longer exists and stay away. You are an important part of the good voodoo of the HI forum and I would hate for us to have to do without you. not to mention without all the pictures of your collection :D Speaking of which, haven't heard from Blue or you in a while about additions, wonder what is up with that. Me, I am just toothless and waiting to live vicariously on someone else's lucky finds.

quick question for anyone who has worked with pen blanks-- do you think these would be valid for karda and chakma handles? ( auntie says I need to have everything in pieces already to save the kami having to work with the ironwoods, so I want karda , chakma, and then various scale and solid handle sizes: so anyone familiar with scaling knives I would love some direction in the exact sizes that would be best for HI products.

then I can get this thing rolling, it may be something I try to do once a year after I get the particulars, the first time will be the most difficult-- afterwards I should understand sizes and prices --

that being said desert ironwood scales and pen blanks are very affordable, and I think would be nice for HI to have a consistent line to that wood, same for the camatillo I have so much of-

- working on getting a quality bandsaw to make my own bigger bits into smaller ones; but I am also buying pen blanks and knife scales from major suppliers to just get a shipment out to HI before crimmas.-- so any help on the sizes I would need will really help me get this out next week rather than next month :D, and maybe even have some knives ready for new years

Last edited:
pen blanks. From what I can tell they sure seem to be just cut down pieces at .7"x.7"x5"or6" I would think they would work great for karda's and chakmas for most of the blades. Some of the really large blades have K&C that may exceed that size, but all the ones I could find with my blades could have been cut from that size.

excellent-- because it is really affordable to get a bundle of pen blanks, and with the "bowie blanks" i am getting that should be a perfect set for desert ironwood, with each knife needing a bowie blank and a pen blank-- first wood shipment will probably be all desert ironwood(unless I can get a good bandsaw and make some scales and blanks from my good camatillo as well)

Last edited:
hmm wouldn't it be 1 bowie blank and 2 pen blanks for a blade, karda and chakma? Otherwise sounds like an awesome deal. Ironwood on a Curved spine Khuk.... ohh DROOOOOOL!!

ok putting out the last call again, if anyone has a custom with HI and would like me to ship your scales or wood to be used on your knife , just ship to me and I will pay your customs for free by slipping into my 50lbs of knife scales and pen blanks for HI; trying to get this done sooner rather than later, so please do not delay if you want me to do this for you. I really want these to hit HI in time to get them offered by the new year

Back