Hickory hiking staff?

I'm looking for either a good blank or a complete straight hiking staff that is at least 56" tall in good tight straight grain hickory.

Kingfisher Wood Works so far is the only site I have turned up that seems to offer what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are others I have missed though. What do you use or recommend along these lines? What do you like or dislike about it?

TIA,
Sid

Check a large hardware store for a replacement shovel handle in Hickory. I found one and a few coats of linseed oil and a crutch rubber end cap and it was good to go. John

Take a look at "fighting sticks" sold in martial arts stores, they are usually very strong, straight, and lightweight. I have one that is made out of wicker (I believe) that is flexible and light as a feather; I made a handle wrap out of paracord, glued a button compass to the top, and put a copper pipe cap on the bottom end.

I'm looking for either a good blank or a complete straight hiking staff that is at least 56" tall in good tight straight grain hickory.

Kingfisher Wood Works so far is the only site I have turned up that seems to offer what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are others I have missed though. What do you use or recommend along these lines? What do you like or dislike about it?

TIA,
Sid
You might also consider a specialty woodworking shop. Many will have excess wood blanks in bins and you can choose your size, weight, and grain.

Zieg

Check out tractor supply stores or similar in your area I have a hickory shepherd's hook that is as least tha long. . Not a big deal to cut the hook off if don't like it. I like the hook it is handy to hook a tree or branch to help climbing steep areas, or to hook stuff to pull to you

Hickory is heavy. And after thousands of consecutive times lifting it, you'll notice. I suggest bamboo instead. Seriously. It's very strong and very light.

Check out tractor supply stores or similar in your area I have a hickory shepherd's hook that is as least tha long. . Not a big deal to cut the hook off if don't like it. I like the hook it is handy to hook a tree or branch to help climbing steep areas, or to hook stuff to pull to you
This ^^^ I have one, beautiful functional piece of wood.

Reactions: j_d
All long time ago, somebody on here recommended Brazos Walking sticks, i love mine. I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

Back