1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hickory hiking staff?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Sid Post, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    I'm looking for either a good blank or a complete straight hiking staff that is at least 56" tall in good tight straight grain hickory.

Kingfisher Wood Works so far is the only site I have turned up that seems to offer what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are others I have missed though. What do you use or recommend along these lines? What do you like or dislike about it?

TIA,
    Sid

2. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Check a large hardware store for a replacement shovel handle in Hickory. I found one and a few coats of linseed oil and a crutch rubber end cap and it was good to go. John

Bigbadgoth and j_d like this.
  3. Swampdog

Swampdog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Take a look at "fighting sticks" sold in martial arts stores, they are usually very strong, straight, and lightweight. I have one that is made out of wicker (I believe) that is flexible and light as a feather; I made a handle wrap out of paracord, glued a button compass to the top, and put a copper pipe cap on the bottom end.

4. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    You might also consider a specialty woodworking shop. Many will have excess wood blanks in bins and you can choose your size, weight, and grain.

Zieg

5. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    Check out tractor supply stores or similar in your area I have a hickory shepherd's hook that is as least tha long. . Not a big deal to cut the hook off if don't like it. I like the hook it is handy to hook a tree or branch to help climbing steep areas, or to hook stuff to pull to you

j_d, Mongo and Sid Post like this.
  6. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Hickory is heavy. And after thousands of consecutive times lifting it, you'll notice. I suggest bamboo instead. Seriously. It's very strong and very light.

7. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    This ^^^ I have one, beautiful functional piece of wood.

j_d likes this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Saw mill that works with hard woods....

9. flnder

flnder

Nov 30, 2003
    All long time ago, somebody on here recommended Brazos Walking sticks, i love mine. I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

clayton c and Bigbadgoth like this.