Question Hide politics subforum from New Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadpool

Gold Member
Is it possible to hide the BladeForums Political Arena from the "New Posts" view? I use New Posts constantly and would love to never see political posts. I've poked around and can't see a way to do this myself.

From a technical standpoint on the back end it must be possible because Whine & Cheese is hidden from New Posts (and my membership level allows W&C access, so I assume I would see those posts in New Posts if they weren't hidden by default).

I searched and found some discussion about this topic from a year or so ago, but no resolution. I don't want to impose my desire to not see political posts on anyone else, but a user-selectable "hide from New Posts" feature -- if technically feasible -- would be useful.

Is it possible to hide the BladeForums Political Arena from the "New Posts" view? I use New Posts constantly and would love to never see political posts. I've poked around and can't see a way to do this myself.

From a technical standpoint on the back end it must be possible because Whine & Cheese is hidden from New Posts (and my membership level allows W&C access, so I assume I would see those posts in New Posts if they weren't hidden by default).

I searched and found some discussion about this topic from a year or so ago, but no resolution. I don't want to impose my desire to not see political posts on anyone else, but a user-selectable "hide from New Posts" feature -- if technically feasible -- would be useful.
+1 :thumbsup:

I was about to start a new thread on this pet peeve topic (I'm sure that I am not alone!) but a quick search showed that several threads (rightly so) already existed so I'm piggy backing:

I hope that this is not considered as necro-threading or whatever the correct terminology is, but it is really an unpleasant experience on this Site seeing the PA topics being posted under the New Post banner on the main page of BladeForums. I understand the logic behind the existence of subs such as W&C + PA, but PA ought not seep through just as to why W&C and the pirate related topics do not seep through.

I am sure that patrons who wish to partake already know how to find and to enjoy themselves in those appropriate subforums but since none of the topics have anything to do with the essence of this Site and its services, please consider curbing their in-your-face post alerts.

Thank you, CS~

W&C & PC are considered NSFW forums. Politics is limited to paid members. There's no way to exclude it from search results unless you want a level of paid membership that doesn't have access to the Politics forum?

Nah, I wouldn't want the PG rated membership! I understand your explanation and thanks for taking the time.

W&C & PC are considered NSFW forums. Politics is limited to paid members. There's no way to exclude it from search results unless you want a level of paid membership that doesn't have access to the Politics forum?
W&C doesn't show up in my "new posts" feed, but I still have access to it. :confused: I don't understand how PA is different.
Of course there's lots of computer related things I don't understand. Thanks for your time. :cool::thumbsup:

W&C doesn't show up in my "new posts" feed, but I still have access to it. :confused: I don't understand how PA is different.
Of course there's lots of computer related things I don't understand. Thanks for your time. :cool::thumbsup:

Interesting...hadn't noticed that before. W&C is it's own sub-forum off the main, while PA is a sub-forum of Current Events...so basically a sub-sub-forum...that may have something to do with it.

Last edited:
If Sub-sub forum had any thing to do with ,the cove would be in new posts,wouldn't it ?

If Sub-sub forum had any thing to do with ,the cove would be in new posts,wouldn't it ?

This is a guess but here it goes. W&C is labeled NSFW, so it's sub forum which is linked through it is NSFW as well.

Current Events is a safe for work forum and viewable by all, hence its sub forum is as well. Or at least to all with the privileges to acces it.

I wonder if it's feasible to relocate the PA out of Current Events and just be it's own forum, labeled NSFW and locked behind the paywall.

Last edited:
It could be made a subforum of W&C... though I suspect that might change the overall flavor (I'm assuming that Politics is not an anything goes forum).

I'm not filtering out Politics out of new posts unless it's going to have a different membership level. Too many paid members want politics showing up in their feeds.

I understand people wanting access to it but do they really want it in their feed? Maybe this has been asked and the answer from those who use it was a solid yes. I don't mind poking my head in from time to time but I know I would rather not see it when I view New Posts. I understand that it the technical side of it isn't just a simple switch it all goes to various interconnected pieces.

I would love a subscription option that excluded politics, but only if it's not a pain from a technical/admin standpoint. I never use and don't want to see that sub-forum in my New list, and if I can have all the Gold benefits and that option I'd take it.

If not, I can keep avoiding it and scrolling past it in my New list; it's not the end of the world, just something I was hoping was a simple option that I just couldn't figure out. :)

We have a "PG Platinum" membership level that deliberately removes access to the NSFW forums. I can explore doing a politics free version.

On another forum (unrelated subject matter), I think also Xenforo based, a URL based search can be used to exclude a forum. Something like websitename\search-for-new\?Exclude=685. I searched the Xenforo customer support threads and tried them on Bladeforums and received an error.

Nope I was wrong, not the same forum software platform, which is why I couldn't get it to work.

Last edited:
I have never commented on politics on BladeForums before, but here goes...

Spark, my political leanings are closely aligned with yours (I saw you comment on the live stream for the BK5 GAW).

The politics forum here seems to be an echo chamber of one perspective with zero tolerance for any differing opinion. There is no real debate, no discussion. Should someone disagree, here comes the inevitable dog pile and name calling. The moderator isn’t neutral and engages in this too. It would be more appropriate to stop calling it “Political Arena” and name it specifically after the political party who’s views are pervasively featured on it.

It’s the one aspect of BladeForums I despise. I’m a platinum member that uses the “New Posts” feature often; I’d love to have all political threads removed from it.

More of a tangent thought but I wonder if the Platinum PG was less than Platinum, even if just $1, how many people would have decided those NSFW sections aren't worth the $1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back