Question Hide politics subforum from New Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking for myself, I don’t want PG; I’m an adult. Whine & Cheese is fine (and isn’t featured in “New Posts”).

It’s featuring political arena in “New Posts” that perplexes me and almost flavors BF, giving a vibe that the opinions there are more pervasive and not just from the few there.

I don’t visit this site to see posts in support of Trump, or ragging on AOC, or criticizing Greta. I come here for knives.

Nope I was wrong, not the same forum software platform, which is why I couldn't get it to work.

Ok more research done. Evidently there was an Xenforo user Daniel Hood that created an add-on for Xenforo to do this. Was sold to atelieraphelion who maintains Xenforo add ons and is upgrading them to the newest Xenforo platform release. I couldn't figure out which add-on was which, but they are about $30-$45 for any of the add-ons.

Not sure if this is easier or harder than another membership level, but once I started down the rabbit hole I just wanted to finish.

Love me some BF, but despise the Politics forum coming up in the feed.

This kind of stinks...
KYZDVBz.jpg

The very first thread that pops up. :(

Follow the link to page 24, witness the echo chamber, one dissenting view, and there’s a personal attack GIF towards that one dissenting view.

It’s like watching Fox News.

I respect that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if it could be eliminated from my “New Posts” feed, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

If we're getting into the breakdown of the PA, yeah...it's EXTREMELY one sided. Personally, I find moderators rabidly engaging in the conversation with obvious bias extremely offputting. I strayed in there a few times and tried to join the conversation but the bias is way too extreme.

I also agree that having such politically slanted threads popping up in everyone's New Post search colors BF to a certain extent. Honestly, my opinion is that people who want to participate there are easily able to find it, just like W&C or PC. There's no need for political threads to show up front and center on a knife forum.

Arguably, as more companies stop allowing politics in the workplace the PA could be considered NSFW...

I also agree that having such politically slanted threads popping up in everyone's New Post search colors BF to a certain extent.
I am being vocal on this thread because for the longest time I thought the views expressed in the political arena were commonly shared by the population of BF. Why else would they always pop up in the news feed? It was very off putting for me.

I only recently found out that wasn’t the case. A few days ago, I saw several posts in W&C condemning the political arena name calling of 16 year old Greta Thunberg (I found this to be despicable; she’s a kid, she’s nobody’s enemy). Now, this thread.

Having political threads in the New Posts feed definitely colors BladeForums.

Too many paid members want politics showing up in their feeds.

Respectfully, could this be surveyed?

@Spark has posted numerous times about this issue, thread closed until he makes a decision.

I find it amusing that people who claim to not be able to stand the political subforum still participate in it in one form or another. As a grownup, I've somehow not ever had a problem ignoring something that I didn't care for - certainly not enough to bother Spark about an actual alteration in the forum software. I suspect the real problem is different from the complaint that is being presented.

I realize it was back in October 2019; but I find it humorously ironic that the example provided by GeofS in Post #24 is a gloating thread that was actually started by a member of the "side" whose viewpoints these complainers believe are being "suppressed". I guess we aren't as "effective" at it as they claim.....

In any case, I have nothing against removing it from New Posts, if it will stop the insufferable whining. I just don't think it will.

I suspect the real problem is different from the complaint that is being presented.

I started this thread and I'm happy to address this: My concern is exactly what I stated in the OP. I don't have a hidden agenda.

I don't come to BF for politics. I come here for knife discussion and, secondarily, off-topic chatting with fellow knife knuts that doesn't include politics. I use the "New Posts" feature as my main window into the forums, since I like that it surfaces threads I otherwise might have missed, and there are days when just scrolling past some of the political thread titles sours my mood.

As noted in my first response to Spark in this thread, it's not a big deal and I can continue avoiding it, just like I do multiple times a day. But if there's a simple technical solution, like a way to opt out of seeing specific subforums, I'd love for that to be an option. It would benefit folks like me and have zero impact on anyone else.

There is a way to rid New Posts of the the PA ,The sad part is it also cost BF membership money, you would think a solution could be found. Support is what pays the bills. I would love to support BF but I can not till this is addressed. It only my 2 cents (well 30 bucks) like I said else where ,the money will go in the Dozier fund. Thanks for your time.

If you place the originating member of the threads in question on ignore, the threads will not pop up in your feed.

This seems like an attempt to inconvenience the many for the sake of eliminating an annoyance for a few.

I enjoy seeing the latest posts from politics showing up in my feed so as to stay current with today’s political events discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back