High end knives

I’m thinking about venturing into the higher end of the knife field. I like flipper knives and am considering a Hinderer Xm-18. Any suggestions that compare to that style in the sub $600 range?

Go snag a new xm-18. Looks like dlt trading has just received more in stock. Can't go wrong with a hinderer. They are worth the price of admission and you'll finally be a one of the kool.kids.

crk and olamic (and if you're open to russian, cheburkov) would be my shortlist

please post pics and what you decide : )

Seriously, once you are "venturing" into the $400+ range for a knife, you're looking at shelling out a chunk of change, just get the one YOU like... personally, I do like my SHF's...

But buy from a reputable source to ensure authenticity. If you decide you don't like it, and it isn't for you, and decide to resell, Authenticity will also help you get some of that value back in the secondary market. One good thing about quality high end knives, they do tend to hold their value pretty respectably, and they all have their own devout followers...

I had two XM-18's back when we paid 750 apiece on the Exchange.
Had a 3.5" as well as a 3" slicer.
the larger one had loose detent and kept opening in my pocket. Not nice! The open blade punches thru pocket or "other things" in the way. OUCH!
Here is a 5 yr-old quote from member "Quiet" regarding this issue.
" Hey pal, that cornball weak detent is a feature. Be quiet and know your place, plebe!!"
'Nuff said..

6Gen of the XM I believe most of the old problems are solved . I own the gen4 and it’s a great knife no issue at all .

One thing to consider when venturing into midtech land is that you are basically still getting a production product.
The fit and finish may be superior, and the price may make it exclusive, but it's still off the shelf.
I would consider a custom or at least a knife where the maker works alone. Here you are getting something that is closer to one off; not something everyone else can purchase.
Personally, I dipped into midtech land but decided that for that kind of money, I wanted something a little more 'custom' or handmade and not just a name.
South African smiths come to mind, they are still in your price range.

Mid tech vs custom can be a toss up. In this range I would just suggest to go with something that you like from a quality maker. At this time, $500-1000, puts you are near the pinnacle of EDC using knives; beyond that you will be getting deeper into Art Knives.

n2s

I had two XM-18's back when we paid 750 apiece on the Exchange.
Had a 3.5" as well as a 3" slicer.
the larger one had loose detent and kept opening in my pocket. Not nice! The open blade punches thru pocket or "other things" in the way. OUCH!
Here is a 5 yr-old quote from member "Quiet" regarding this issue.
" Hey pal, that cornball weak detent is a feature. Be quiet and know your place, plebe!!"
'Nuff said..

That made me laugh I almost spat out my grog.

As someone who has collected "high end" custom knives, I'd encourage you to start with Chris Reeve, or Olamic, as others have suggested.

The reason is this...I recommend going gently into that good night.....with CRK or Olamic, you have warranties and you can flip them easily on the forums if you don't like them. Harder to do with customs. Also, CRK and Olamic have performed better than some of my customs costing over $1000

again...go gently so as not to lose a fortune and go with a brand that has support...like CRK and Olamic. I'll add Shirigorov, Andre Thorburn too (from their respective AD's).

In that price range, if you're set on flippers
US: Brown Knives (any model), Koenig Arius, Skiff Blades Accomplice or Drifter, Liong Mah Design
Russian: Shirogorov and Custom Knife Factory
Chinese: Reate

CRK make great thumbstud knives but the action and feel is very different from any other maker, it's made to opened and closed in a controlled and slow fashion. If you get a chance to feel one in hand, try it first. The good thing is that if you don't like a CRK, you can flip it without much of a hit in price.

Reate makes wonderful knives, but they're the worst when it comes to holding resale value. Be sure that you really like the model or be prepared to take a big hit if you wish to move it on.

Of you like the looks of Hinderer then get one. The new gen are great flippers with awesome ergos and aesthetics. The Xm 18 was my first grail. Nowadays, I’m not much of a frame lock guy, but I always have an xm in my collection because it’s such a fantastic knife.

While I like my Hinderer the blade is just to fat to cut well which is why it stays in my Jeep and not my pocket

Sub $600 will give you a wide selection to choose from, I would say think about what you like and intend to use it for and go from there.

Blade Steel, blade length, opening and locking mechanism, etc.. The last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of dollars on something that you're not all that enthusiastic about.

Another vote for CRK. Maybe not the best blade steel, but they do encourage you to take the knife apart to maintain it and they have good customer service.

Back