• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

High Quality Knife Making Tools

Contender Machine

Dealer / Materials Provider
I have for sale a few different tools that I’ve designed and manufactured.

Pictures below.

First up is a repeat of last year when I introduced my magnetic blade holding jig, the “MagChuck”. These are very useful when doing any grinding, sanding, file work or sharpening etc. The blade is held with a switchable magnet from Magswitch. There is an array of 1/8 reamed holes in the face of the jig that allow the user to install dowel pins that hold the blade from slipping and allow for extreme accuracy and repeatability when taking the blade on and off the jig. No extra wrenches or other tools are required making this jig fast to use. I personally use an MC76 on almost every operation of doing stock removal on a knife blade. I mostly work with folder knives and fixed blades up to five inches. A six-inch blade and bigger would be more suited to use the larger MC152. I would strongly recommend this tool to anyone doing a lot of hand sanding or free hand grinding of knife blades, especially smaller more difficult to hold blades. The MC76 measures 1.5 x 4.0 inches and the MC152 2.0 x 6.0 inches. The MagChuck is easily wiped clean after the magnet is switched off. Search my old post from last year for more details on the MagChucks’ abilities.

Next up I have a brand-new attachment to go along with the MagChucks. This is a bevel grinding jig that utilizes all of the features of the MagChuck with the usefulness of any bevel grinding jig currently on the market. The MagChucks ability to hold the blade with a magnet and dowel pins means there are absolutely no bolts or clamps protruding out the front of the jig as is the case of many jigs currently on the market. The blade can be flipped from one side to the other by turning off the magnet, mirroring the dowel pins from one side to the other and reattaching the blade with the magnet. This is much faster and more precise than taking out bolts or loosening clamps etc. The frame of the jig is CNC machined from billet aluminum and stainless steel for a lasting and durable tool. The angle is adjusted with the included T-handle allen wrench. The jig is then locked into place with the stainless thumb screw. The solid locking design along with the two sturdy plastic handles and the holding ability of the MagChuck allows for heavy grinding. Either the MC76 or MC152 may be used with this jig but does require the correct pivot attachment. The jig has four adjustable round nose steel setscrews in the base that it slides on. This allows for a very smooth and solid sliding motion. These are also easily and cheaply replaced if they ever become worn. I have a 6 x 24 inch steel table I made for my grinder that works quite well for using a bevel grinding jig. As a bonus it is just two small bolts to take out to dismount the MagChuck from the bevel grinding jig to be used in any other manner you can think of.

WARNING - A steel platen that is supplied on most stock grinders with NOT work with this jig. The magnet will try and snap to the platen and not allow any control. A ceramic platen, non-magnetic stainless-steel platen or rubber contact wheel is required as a backing when grinding with this jig.

Lastly, I have some very nice ceramic grinding platens for sale. These are CNC machined from billet aluminum and have a 2x7 inch piece of 3/16 thick high temperature ceramic glued within. If you have never used a ceramic grinding platen I would highly recommend it. They are much smoother and tougher than the typical steel platens that come with most grinders allowing for cleaner grinds and longer platen life. These platens also have water galleries running throughout allowing water or coolant to be continually pumped through keeping the platen cool to the touch even under the heaviest grinding. As another added feature I added a section of coolant hose with a valve to allow the user is spray a stream of water/coolant onto the blade or belt. Although a bit messy, this is a wonderful feature when doing heavy grinding or finish grinding on heat treated blades where it is of the up most importance to keep the blade cool. I use one of the 620 gph submersible pumps from Harbor Freight set in a 5 gallon bucket with cheap 3/8 plastic tube for the inlet and return lines from the platen. The tubes are down out of the way and the coolant line can be removed and plugged if not needed/wanted. These have a 6.75 inch bolt spacing to fit the KMG grinders. Please measure your grinder to be sure it will fit before ordering. Also, included are new steel mounting brackets with 3/8-16 holes for mounting to the grinder and 2 barb type male fittings. (See pictures)

These are high quality tools made right here in the USA by a fellow knife maker. Current quantities of these tools are limited and until my current stock is depleted I will have them for sale here at a DISCOUNTED PRICE. I appreciate any feed back on the performance of these tools and will gladly fix/replace any pieces that get lost or damaged. I will also except returns for a full refund on any of these if they don’t meet your satisfaction and are still in good shape when they are returned to me.

Shipping will be a flat $12 UPS anywhere in the lower 48.

Paypal preferred @ dnutt12@hotmail.com

Shoot me an email at dnutt12@hotmail.com including your full name, shipping address, and preferred payment method.

Please respond to this thread with any questions or concerns or feel free to contact me directly.

Happy Grinding!

Price list

MC76 MagChuck with 10 1/8 dowels included - $100

MC152 MagChuck with 10 1/8 dowel pins included - $125

Bevel grinding jig with MC76 MagChuck, 10 1/8 dowel pins, and 1 T-handle wrench included - $200

Bevel grinding jig with MC152 MagChuck, 10 1/8 dowel pins, and 1 T-handle wrench included - $225

Water cooled Ceramic platen with coolant/water line setup and two 3/8 barb type valves and mounting brackets included - $75

How does the platen chiller work if you need to replace glass or clean out the water channels inside?

As far as replacing the glass, if it gets broke, it will have to be heated with a small torch to break down the glue I used then will have to be pried off. This will not be an easy or clean task but if done properly should work well. Then new glass can be glued on.

Caution would have to be taken as shattered ceramic is no different than handling shattered glass.

That being said this ceramic is pretty tough and is fully supported on the backside by the aluminum and rests on a shelve on both the top and bottom. I would suggest storing the platen with some type of cushioning cover just to prevent bumping into it and cracking it.

The water galleries in this platen are simply 5 holes cross drilled with 2 of them plugged. If it does become obstructed inside, these plugs and the fittings can be screwed out to allow access to blow the galleries out. If anything becomes lodged inside and compressed air will not work a 7/16 drill bit could be ran through the holes. The fittings are all 1/4 NPT with 7/16 holes drilled throughout. These are pretty large and would be difficult to plug.

These platens measure 2 inches wide and 7 3/4 inches long with 7 inches of ceramic. As long as the pulleys on your platen are spaced wider than 7 3/4 then this platen should be able to be adapted. If anyone is concerned about it fitting there grinder please contact me. I will be happy to make custom brackets if needed.

I will take a ceramic cooled platen. Let me know available and I will paypal you.

I have a 11x4" workrest currently. Do you think the jig would work on this size rest? Im struggling to judge thatfthat the pictures.

Thanks Dan email sent!

I guess I forgot to state it in my initial post but the base of the grinding jig measures 6 inches across and 3 inches wide. A 4 inch wide table should work ok though I wouldn’t want it much narrower than that. 11 inches from side to side would likely be a bit on the short side assuming it is centered with the platen. It would only leave 4 1/2 inches on either side of the platen (on a 2 inch grinder). 18-24 inches would be much better. My personal one is 6 x 24 made from 1/2 cold rolled steel and is rock solid.

Payment sent This will be for a KMG Thanks Darren.

I would like a ceramic platen please

As far as replacing the glass, if it gets broke, it will have to be heated with a small torch to break down the glue I used then will have to be pried off. This will not be an easy or clean task but if done properly should work well. Then new glass can be glued on.

Caution would have to be taken as shattered ceramic is no different than handling shattered glass.

That being said this ceramic is pretty tough and is fully supported on the backside by the aluminum and rests on a shelve on both the top and bottom. I would suggest storing the platen with some type of cushioning cover just to prevent bumping into it and cracking it.

The water galleries in this platen are simply 5 holes cross drilled with 2 of them plugged. If it does become obstructed inside, these plugs and the fittings can be screwed out to allow access to blow the galleries out. If anything becomes lodged inside and compressed air will not work a 7/16 drill bit could be ran through the holes. The fittings are all 1/4 NPT with 7/16 holes drilled throughout. These are pretty large and would be difficult to plug.

These platens measure 2 inches wide and 7 3/4 inches long with 7 inches of ceramic. As long as the pulleys on your platen are spaced wider than 7 3/4 then this platen should be able to be adapted. If anyone is concerned about it fitting there grinder please contact me. I will be happy to make custom brackets if needed.
I have for sale a few different tools that I’ve designed and manufactured.

Pictures below.

First up is a repeat of last year when I introduced my magnetic blade holding jig, the “MagChuck”. These are very useful when doing any grinding, sanding, file work or sharpening etc. The blade is held with a switchable magnet from Magswitch. There is an array of 1/8 reamed holes in the face of the jig that allow the user to install dowel pins that hold the blade from slipping and allow for extreme accuracy and repeatability when taking the blade on and off the jig. No extra wrenches or other tools are required making this jig fast to use. I personally use an MC76 on almost every operation of doing stock removal on a knife blade. I mostly work with folder knives and fixed blades up to five inches. A six-inch blade and bigger would be more suited to use the larger MC152. I would strongly recommend this tool to anyone doing a lot of hand sanding or free hand grinding of knife blades, especially smaller more difficult to hold blades. The MC76 measures 1.5 x 4.0 inches and the MC152 2.0 x 6.0 inches. The MagChuck is easily wiped clean after the magnet is switched off. Search my old post from last year for more details on the MagChucks’ abilities.

Next up I have a brand-new attachment to go along with the MagChucks. This is a bevel grinding jig that utilizes all of the features of the MagChuck with the usefulness of any bevel grinding jig currently on the market. The MagChucks ability to hold the blade with a magnet and dowel pins means there are absolutely no bolts or clamps protruding out the front of the jig as is the case of many jigs currently on the market. The blade can be flipped from one side to the other by turning off the magnet, mirroring the dowel pins from one side to the other and reattaching the blade with the magnet. This is much faster and more precise than taking out bolts or loosening clamps etc. The frame of the jig is CNC machined from billet aluminum and stainless steel for a lasting and durable tool. The angle is adjusted with the included T-handle allen wrench. The jig is then locked into place with the stainless thumb screw. The solid locking design along with the two sturdy plastic handles and the holding ability of the MagChuck allows for heavy grinding. Either the MC76 or MC152 may be used with this jig but does require the correct pivot attachment. The jig has four adjustable round nose steel setscrews in the base that it slides on. This allows for a very smooth and solid sliding motion. These are also easily and cheaply replaced if they ever become worn. I have a 6 x 24 inch steel table I made for my grinder that works quite well for using a bevel grinding jig. As a bonus it is just two small bolts to take out to dismount the MagChuck from the bevel grinding jig to be used in any other manner you can think of.

WARNING - A steel platen that is supplied on most stock grinders with NOT work with this jig. The magnet will try and snap to the platen and not allow any control. A ceramic platen, non-magnetic stainless-steel platen or rubber contact wheel is required as a backing when grinding with this jig.

Lastly, I have some very nice ceramic grinding platens for sale. These are CNC machined from billet aluminum and have a 2x7 inch piece of 3/16 thick high temperature ceramic glued within. If you have never used a ceramic grinding platen I would highly recommend it. They are much smoother and tougher than the typical steel platens that come with most grinders allowing for cleaner grinds and longer platen life. These platens also have water galleries running throughout allowing water or coolant to be continually pumped through keeping the platen cool to the touch even under the heaviest grinding. As another added feature I added a section of coolant hose with a valve to allow the user is spray a stream of water/coolant onto the blade or belt. Although a bit messy, this is a wonderful feature when doing heavy grinding or finish grinding on heat treated blades where it is of the up most importance to keep the blade cool. I use one of the 620 gph submersible pumps from Harbor Freight set in a 5 gallon bucket with cheap 3/8 plastic tube for the inlet and return lines from the platen. The tubes are down out of the way and the coolant line can be removed and plugged if not needed/wanted. These have a 6.75 inch bolt spacing to fit the KMG grinders. Please measure your grinder to be sure it will fit before ordering. Also, included are new steel mounting brackets with 3/8-16 holes for mounting to the grinder and 2 barb type male fittings. (See pictures)

These are high quality tools made right here in the USA by a fellow knife maker. Current quantities of these tools are limited and until my current stock is depleted I will have them for sale here at a DISCOUNTED PRICE. I appreciate any feed back on the performance of these tools and will gladly fix/replace any pieces that get lost or damaged. I will also except returns for a full refund on any of these if they don’t meet your satisfaction and are still in good shape when they are returned to me.

Shipping will be a flat $12 UPS anywhere in the lower 48.

Paypal preferred @ dnutt12@hotmail.com

Shoot me an email at dnutt12@hotmail.com including your full name, shipping address, and preferred payment method.

Please respond to this thread with any questions or concerns or feel free to contact me directly.

Happy Grinding!

Price list

MC76 MagChuck with 10 1/8 dowels included - $100

MC152 MagChuck with 10 1/8 dowel pins included - $125

Bevel grinding jig with MC76 MagChuck, 10 1/8 dowel pins, and 1 T-handle wrench included - $200

Bevel grinding jig with MC152 MagChuck, 10 1/8 dowel pins, and 1 T-handle wrench included - $225

Water cooled Ceramic platen with coolant/water line setup and two 3/8 barb type valves and mounting brackets included - $75

I'm interested in the jig and platen but would need some workaround to get it to fit on my Reeder grinder. Please message me when you get a chance.

Thanks!

Got my platen today. Haven’t hooked it up yet but I gotta say, this is one fine piece of equipment for the price. On one of my older platens I JB welded an aluminum finned heat sink on the back of it with a pyroceram front. It definitely pulled some heat away but this thing is gonna make a huge difference! Again great product and would recommend this for anyone wanting to up their grinding game even if you don’t use the chiller! Mounts, platen and glass already installed for this price is great, add in the cooling and spray nozzle and it’s a no brainer!!!

hooked the ceramic platen up to my spankin new northridge grinder....fits precisely, i did use the northridge right angle arms as they can slide in and out. I have not ran it yet but am excited too. quality is very nice.

Back