Higher End Rescue Hook?

I want a rescue hook. Something that's a bit higher quality than Benchmade's 440C. Any options out there?

I don't think you are going to find such a specialized tool in a super steel. I could be wrong, but seeing the limited use of a hook 440C is probably ample for the intended use. WHat are you cutting that requires something better than 440C?

I could be wrong, but seeing the limited use of a survival knife 440C is probably ample for the intended use. WHat are you cutting that requires something better than 440C?

Hmmm. Really? :)

I don't know of another model, but a custom maker can probably do it.

Hmmm. Really? :)

I don't know of another model, but a custom maker can probably do it.

Of course they can, but if it were really a necessity or a strong market for it, wouldn't you think we'd see a truckload of them by now? In ELMAX, M390, S90V, 3V? Sorry, I just haven't seen a huge demand of exotic steel rescue hooks, but anything can happen I guess.

Of course they can, but if it were really a necessity or a strong market for it, wouldn't you think we'd see a truckload of them by now? In ELMAX, M390, S90V, 3V? Sorry, I just haven't seen a huge demand of exotic steel rescue hooks, but anything can happen I guess.

I guess irony doesn't come across great online. Of course there isn't a big market. But if you look closely at my last quote of your post, you will see that my change of your post was meant as irony:

While there isn't any big demand for a hook, the op can surely demand a hook in a "super" steel! :) After all, 90% of knives don't need a "super" steel either - right?

Microtech made a 1 of 1 Combat Troodon rescue hook, supposedly in S35 VN. That's all I can think of. It would probably do very poorly as a rescue hook since it's a front opening automatic though.

A rescue hook is a one time use kind of thing, 440 C is more than adequate for that. 440 C can get pretty sharp. Most knives are used again and again for a variety of different tasks, necessitating the use of a steel that can get pretty sharp and can hold its edge.

I don't know of one currently offered other than BM's in 440C, but I've carried the 915 Triage on the job for the past 2 or 3 years, during which time I've used the hook maybe 4-6 times. It has yet to fail me, and is still perfectly sharp. I could be wrong, but I believe their stand-alone hooks are even beefier than the one on the back of the Triage. YMMV, but for the application, I think 440C is just fine, and should it become dull with use, will take a new edge much more readily than cpm 20v, or m4, etc....

Been a first responder for over ten years, have worked hundreds of accidents with injuries and have yet to cut a seatbelt. Rescue hooks are fire fighter jewelry and nothing else.

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but they are utterly useless.

Been a first responder for over ten years, have worked hundreds of accidents with injuries and have yet to cut a seatbelt. Rescue hooks are fire fighter jewelry and nothing else.

False, they're not utterly useless...

I used to work in distribution, and had to open bundles that were tied together with cord, or held with plastic zip ties. A "rescue" hook worked great at this, and most the people I worked with had them too. A knife or scissors works too, but the rounded edges of the hook won't damage the contents of the package, allowing you to open bundles much faster; thus saving time.

That said, the hook I had made of AUS-8 held up perfectly fine. And that thing got used way more than my knives did at that job. It was also very easy to touch up with a sharpmaker rod.

Sounds like you have a couple more years on than me (7), but I couldn't possibly disagree more. I too have worked hundreds of accidents (mostly with only minor injuries) and like you have never had to cut a seat belt, ever. Where a rescue hook shines is removal of clothing. With the hook on my Triage, I can have a trauma pt naked in the time it takes anyone else on my crew to cut up one leg of a pair of jeans with standard trauma shears. Hardly a piece of "useless, firefighter jewelry". Sure, it is a specialized, seldom-used tool, but since mine rides as a secondary blade on my work knife which is always clipped into my pocket regardless, it works for me. ymmv.

I guess irony doesn't come across great online. Of course there isn't a big market. But if you look closely at my last quote of your post, you will see that my change of your post was meant as irony:

While there isn't any big demand for a hook, the op can surely demand a hook in a "super" steel! :) After all, 90% of knives don't need a "super" steel either - right?

Awesome. So you are messing with an evil super mod by changing the quoted text to look like he said something else. Genius.

And just like any steel, super steels have their place.

Utterly useless comment.

440c works just fine in the two BM hooks I have. That said, I wouldn't mind having one in 3v or M390. We are knife nuts right? Might as well get nutty with our rescue hooks.

Buck made a Crosslock with a Titanium Nitride (TiN) coated zipper. It was made for skinning and hence has a wider slot than their standard seat belt cutter which wasn't offered with the TiN coat. The Crosslock slot bevel was coated on both sides unlike the BuckCote blades which were chisel sharpened.
I would post a picture, but the system is messed up and keeps erasing my photos. A TiN coated zipper at 72HRC would perform like a super steel.

The old Benchmade H2O used a X15TN steel. Benchmade rescue folder uses 440C. Boker+ RESCON has serrated edge and hook in AUS8. Leatherman Ti has hook in 420HC. The cheapest and smallest one is the Boker. I have used and carried the Boker for many years. All of these hooks work good but I like the Boker the best as it has a two sided edge that sharpens easily and holds it well. I have used the Boker daily at work, cutting straps, cardboard, plastic shipping wraps, etc. Have even used it to cut a 1/4 leather cribbing collar that was on way too tight on a friends horse. Useless? No way. These hooks have a multitude of uses besides cutting seat belt straps. True I have EDCed my Boker for about 10 years without cutting any seat belts, just a bunch of other stuff. Buck Crosslock hooks in 420HC work great also.

Last edited:
We need a Microtech DOC RescueHook in s90v with assisted opening and tritium inserts.

Awesome. So you are messing with an evil super mod by changing the quoted text to look like he said something else. Genius.

And just like any steel, super steels have their place.

And why would I treat a mod different than any other member? To be honest I didn't even notice it until you told me. I don't believe he is very evil. Looks like he can take a joke too.

But you dear, you do seem quite ANGRY. Why are you so angry? Would you like to talk about it?

Super steels have their place? True, but I repeat: 90% of super steel knives are bought not because the users actually will use the super steel to its maximum. I would be good with 440 but I like owning super steel. So the op has every right to demand a hook in super steel because its sexy.

Carrillo Airkat Gutwrench. Good luck finding one. Looks like they go for around 300-400 $$$

DSCN1770.jpg

fd015248.jpg

carrillo-gutrench.jpg

Depending on what you plan to do with it, I might suggest you grab a cheap pair of trauma shears instead. I'm sort of fascinated by well designed rescue knives but, when I'm being honest with myself, I have to admit that almost all of the cutting I did on scene as an EMT was with trauma shears. Seat belt? Trauma shears. Clothing? Trauma shears. Pennies that looked at you funny? Trauma shears will cut them, too.

Back