Hiking and whittling with the boy

Today was a truly beautiful day out in the woods. My son made a couple cool observations and said some brilliant things.

"Dad, it is really muddy out here, but that is good because everything out here likes water"

"Fuzz sticks and cedar bark make starting a fire easier"

some flooding by ewerstruly

IMG_0827 by ewerstruly

IMG_0829 by ewerstruly

an artesian spring by ewerstruly

The first wild flower we found this year by ewerstruly

He found a really cool place to do some whittling.

IMG_0839 by ewerstruly

IMG_0835 by ewerstruly

IMG_0838 by ewerstruly

IMG_0837 by ewerstruly

IMG_0844 by ewerstruly

IMG_0845 by ewerstruly

[youtube]7z43ttBKJd8[/youtube]

We got back to the truck and started to unload the packs...much to my surprise he had harvested some cedar bark. He said he snatched it off a piece of dead fall while I was re-lacing my boot. He is pretty determined to make some s'mores tonight:)

IMG_0855 by ewerstruly

I nearly dropped my jaw when we were hiking deeper in the woods and I asked him if he could tell me anything about his surroundings.

He told me that the soft ground made it easy to figure out a lot of stuff. He pointed out several sets of deer tracks and showed which way the deer was heading, and which sets were fresh and which sets were old. He also told me that we were not the first ones in the woods today...some guy was out here earlier with his dog...but they were headed the opposite direction we were going.

This kid is way ahead of where I was at his age!

Toward the end we went down to the water and he wanted to try skiping stones. I almost felt ashamed as a father that he had not learned this critical skill earlier...but then I felt relieved in knowing that he knew how to whittle fuzz sticks and marshmallow roasting sticks before he skipped his first stone;)

[youtube]-2U4vY_Otvc[/youtube]

Last edited:
Ah Unit, you're doing good my man . . . :thumbup: I remember your post from last fall or winter about your "outing" you two took in your back yard & the shots of him really enjoying the time with just your two. Excellent father skills & what my wife calls "life lessons" to teach the next generation. Hope you two have many years together to enjoy the outdoors as my son & I have had as well.
Great stuff & good shots.
Be safe.
p.s.: Don't worry about skipping stones, be thankful he is picking up on other stuff you do not even mention to him (tinder) . . . . :)

That looks like a great time between a dad and his best pal!

Always good to see dads getting the little ones out, brother. Looks like you guys had a good time out and about. Thanks for sharing!

-Nadz

He knife is a great starter knife. His technique is proper and safe. He is taking initiative to put well taught practices to use (harvesting cedar bark).

I say - you are doing a damned good job dad!

TF

Good Stuff Man - The pics will remind you to do it more often while you can

awesome. Simply awesome to see lil ones playing with tools and being outdoors.

love this photo

5543104603_c9cbec5c57.jpg

Thanks guys! It was a spectacular day (on so many levels).

Awsome, man. Me and my boy are exactly the same way. Always getting out together, and teaching him skills. I don't know how you had it, but me and my dad did not do anything in the outdoors together. He took me on my first camping trip, but that was the only one. I went hunting with him once, but that was all. When I became a dad, I decided it wouldn't be that way with me and mine. And so, we spend a lot of time out of doors. You guys should get into scouting. You two are perfect for it.

Awsome, man. Me and my boy are exactly the same way. Always getting out together, and teaching him skills. I don't know how you had it, but me and my dad did not do anything in the outdoors together. He took me on my first camping trip, but that was the only one. I went hunting with him once, but that was all. When I became a dad, I decided it wouldn't be that way with me and mine. And so, we spend a lot of time out of doors.
You guys should get into scouting. You two are perfect for it

+1 :thumbup:
Be safe.

Thanks. We are in scouting but cubscouts around here does very little of what I think of when I hear "scouting". That is basically why we got started doing this (I felt he needed more nature to supplement the birdhouse construction/police department tours).

Scouts is great, but different from what we are getting from one another in the woods.

Very true. It's all in the leaders. That's why I am my son's leader. But, same here. We do "extracurricular" activities, too. We both love the one-on-one time together.

ken your son is growing up fast, few things surpass a father that loves & interacts with his children. looks like that tree is being bent in the right direction, great pics.---dennis

Thanks Dennis!

As a follow up to the story. We got busy playing and hanging out with my parents Sunday night and we failed to get the s'more making materials (that can not be reaped from nature;)), so I promised that we would do it Monday (last night).

I was tired form work and basically lazy so I got out the charcoal (the kind that you are supposed to be able to light with a match and nothing else)...well after three attempts and running out of matches, my son brought out the tinder bundle he harvested and a pile of sticks. He said something along the lines of, "why don't you just do it the way we always do?"

I tell you, that kid is a lot smarter than I am at times!

I pulled out my knife and started processing some of the sticks and went inside to get my fire steel. EXACTLY two strokes across the steel and we were in business. I had a fire going in less time than I wasted with the lighter fluid impregnated charcoal!

Great post! As a father it definately put a smile on my face.

Thank you.

Back