Hiking Boot Recommendations

H0kieengineer

Gold Member
My wife and I are going hiking in Gatlinburg around Christmas. I am not a big hiker, though I plan to do it more. I’m looking for some recommendations for some good boots. The trip is too close to get a pair of Nicks made in time, so it’s off the shelf shopping for me.

What boots do you recommend? I’m not really giving myself an upper limit. I want good boots that don’t fall apart if you look at them wrong. I’m willing to spend the money to get the right pair.

Hoka One One makes super light, comfortable boots that require no break in. I hike every day in them. Check out the hiking boot and hiking shoe comparisons and rankings in outdoorgearlab.com

Last edited:
I have been very happy with Meindl boots. My old hikers were their Vermont model, long since discontinued. I didn't use them hard too often, but they lasted more than ten years without wearing out. After 14 years hydrolysis caught up with the mid sole, but it is very hard to know what products that won't happen with.
I had another pair of Meindls, nylon and suede, and they have held up a long time. I have finally worn through the sole, but that took long enough that I am happy.

First thing is knowing if your feet and the weather want a waterproof membrane. Since they will be pretty new, it will be working, and some people love them, some people find them sweaty. Where I live I go without, since the water will often be above my 8-inch upper Docs anyway, and if its dry, I want all the ventilation I can get (I roll old-school jungle-boot style)

Then its sole type. Brands like Keen last forever, but are slick as hell, Merrels wear out faster, but stick to almost anything. After that, personal preference for arch height, stiffness, and all that.

Then boots, or shoes. Personally, I'd go with whatever style is your daily work wear. I'm a foot-basher so I wear boots, but if I was at all athletic/ not a klutz, I'd go with runners. But now that my job involves days in steel-caps, my hikers will remain tall boots, just because I find they "feel" right, and my socks work.

There is no magic to hiking boots, and I have found that the folks who have the most problems are those who's hikers are the most different from their day-to-day shoes. I know lots of outdoor pros who do long trips in vollys, vans, chucks, and as many who wear keen, merrel, soloman, though I'm the only nutter I've met who does Docs.

I have been very happy with Meindl boots. My old hikers were their Vermont model, long since discontinued. I didn't use them hard too often, but they lasted more than ten years without wearing out. After 14 years hydrolysis caught up with the mid sole, but it is very hard to know what products that won't happen with.
I had another pair of Meindls, nylon and suede, and they have held up a long time. I have finally worn through the sole, but that took long enough that I am happy.
I like the Meindl boots. The reviews on their website seem generally positive, for what that is worth. Their hunting boots are calling my name

First thing is knowing if your feet and the weather want a waterproof membrane. Since they will be pretty new, it will be working, and some people love them, some people find them sweaty. Where I live I go without, since the water will often be above my 8-inch upper Docs anyway, and if its dry, I want all the ventilation I can get (I roll old-school jungle-boot style)

Then its sole type. Brands like Keen last forever, but are slick as hell, Merrels wear out faster, but stick to almost anything. After that, personal preference for arch height, stiffness, and all that.

Then boots, or shoes. Personally, I'd go with whatever style is your daily work wear. I'm a foot-basher so I wear boots, but if I was at all athletic/ not a klutz, I'd go with runners. But now that my job involves days in steel-caps, my hikers will remain tall boots, just because I find they "feel" right, and my socks work.

There is no magic to hiking boots, and I have found that the folks who have the most problems are those who's hikers are the most different from their day-to-day shoes. I know lots of outdoor pros who do long trips in vollys, vans, chucks, and as many who wear keen, merrel, soloman, though I'm the only nutter I've met who does Docs.
I’m going to try to go waterproof. I worked a summer of HVAC in non-waterproof boots. Wettest summer in Virginia’s history. I had some very wet feet for a lot of it.

I wear metatarsal boots everyday at work, so I’m looking at tall hikers or hunting boots. Once I get a few good hikes in I’ll get a pair of Nicks. I wear their boots for casual wear, just need something with a bit of tread.

I also have a pair of Lundhag Synchros, and they are very good. I took mine to New Zealand in 2015 and wore them wet wading with neoprene socks and for hiking with wool. For their size they are light and the minimal padding means they dry much faster than one would expect. I got mine second hand.

I am not a big hiker.

We are.
Meindl are without a doubt the most comfortable and durable boots.
Make sure you try on a couple of different styles because some will suit your feet better.
Lundhags are also good but for pure hiking in comfort, Meindl are the way to go.
(I use Lundhags for hunting. Less comfortable because your sock is effectively the liner cushion in the boots. They’re stiffer for those situations where you’re looking at prey, and put your foot in a hole. They dry out quick).

Last edited:
I've been using OBOZ. I have both the low and high hiking boots and they are the first boots I've ever owned that I didn't need to replace the inserts. Really nice, lightweight and amazing arch support.

You really really have to try them on to know what is best for you because they are all made to different lasts and fit differently.
The best boots I own I had fitted and waited 4 years for, Limmers, to replace my disappointing Scarpas. The custom Limmers are super heavy duty and I need them because my feet are terrible and I used to carry heavy. You can get outstanding modern boots like the new Zamberlains ( really beautiful boots but very expensive ) and Lowa are incredibly comfortable and need almost zero break-in.
I second the recommendation of Meindl. First rate stuff. I had some Danners that were outstanding. They're sleeping at the bottom of a lake now, though
I'm almost as big a sucker for a great boot than I am for a great knife, especuially if you ever had bad ones on.

You really should try a few on and see what seems best for you.

Last edited:
You really really have to try them on to know what is best for you because they are all made to different lasts and fit differently.
The best boots I own I had fitted and waited 4 years for, Limmers, to replace my disappointing Scarpas. The custom Limmersw are super heavy duty and I need them because my feet are terrible and I used to carry heavy. You can get outstanding modern boots like the new Zamberlains ( really beautiful boots but very expensive ) and Lowa are incredibly comfortable and need almost zero break-in.
I second the recommendation of Meindl. First rate stuff. I had some Danners that were outstanding. They're sleeping at the bottom of lake now, though
I'm almost as big a sucker for a great boot than I am for a great knife, especuially if you ever had bad ones on.

You really should try a few on and see what seems best for you.
What are some good stores to try them on at or is it just order them and lean on the free return?

I’m going to try to go waterproof. I worked a summer of HVAC in non-waterproof boots. Wettest summer in Virginia’s history. I had some very wet feet for a lot of it.

I wear metatarsal boots everyday at work, so I’m looking at tall hikers or hunting boots. Once I get a few good hikes in I’ll get a pair of Nicks. I wear their boots for casual wear, just need something with a bit of tread.
If you plan to be hiking on rock (wet or dry), the Five Ten Canyoneer boot has sticky rubber soles which will outperform just about any hiking boot or vibram sole for traction.

I've owned lots of hiking boots, but the Danner 600 boot is the best of them all.

71JvGcXGGzS._AC_UX500_.jpg

I would avoid boot companies that don’t list the weight of the boot in the specs. The weight of a boot can make or break your hike, and turn an enjoyable hike into a deathmarch.

I bought a pair of Meindl light hunters. Iiked so much boiught a 2nd pair for camp. Neither held up well. The rubber on both around bottom seperated. Got a pair of denali. Very stiff. 2 years now, and still don't care a lot for them, other than light.

For the price, I won't buy more meindls, after falling apart. If just doing one trip, might be ok. If you do get them get the cork perfect inserts, the other ones suck.

If you're concerned about weight, the Salomon Speed Cross 5 trail running shoes are great for hiking. The Danner 600's are not a real heavy boot either.

Danner Mountain Light II or Mountain Light are my favorite. (Don't let the name fool you, they are not light...) full leather with gortex.

They require break in...so don't just slap them on and go for a long hike.

(Cabelas used to make a copy/version as well, which I also love).

These are over 10 years old in this photo.
sWt2bOv.jpeg

The Cabelas copy I have is 20 years old, and due for a resole, but still good leather Condition (I did a 20 mile day in them, and a lot of it was on asphalt in the hot summer sun, and the glue finally started coming undone on the super hot pavement...but they lasted 20 years first!!)

Those are all some fair thoughts, I have very limited brand access here in Australia, so I'm not as familiar with the Euro brands. No point spending big bucks and import costs if the shoes don't last a whole lot longer.
One thought that I have on a specific brand is Solomon, I know a lot of folks who have and love them, but they all say the same thing. If they don't fit from the first minute, either get a different pair, or they are not for you. For whatever reason, they do not break in like other shoes, so those hot-spots will stay. Sometimes its just a size thing, or manufacturing, but they are a shoe that needs to fit from the start.

Overall, lots of good ideas and reality in this thread. Not like some I've seen where people were getting annoyed that their first gen gore-tex didn't last for decades.

Shoes/boots are a complex matter any way you look at it. Too many variables you will need to sort out one by one.

Right now I am using four pairs of footwear for my hiking/climbing endvours (not counting rock climbing shoes).

- Established trails (dirt, grass, loose gravel or rock) which are mostly walking and with a light pack (or heavy pack if I am going climbing and shoes will go in the backpack once on the wall), I wear mountain running shoes, no waterproof membrain of any kind, Saucony Xodus. Light, breathable, lots of cushioning and no overheating. Like wearing sleepers. Need strong ankles (but that is something you will develop with time). I have even used them to run in the snow with slip on snow-spikes. Cold is a non-issue if you move fast and change into dry shoes once you are done.

- Non established trails, heavy scrambling or easy climbing (up to ocasional III+ or IV grade, arettes, etc ), with a light pack, I wear approach shoes. Right now is Sportiva TX Guide. No waterproof membrain and a smart mixture of climbing sole in the front half and running shoe sole in the back half. You get the required ridgidity and stickiness for edging and climbing AND the cushioning t the heel area. I just love them.

- Non-continuous snow with ocassional crampon use at the begining of winter or spring, or very heavy backpaks in non stablished trails (ankle support wellcome)... then it is a semi-ridgid alpine boot. I use Salewa Crow GTX. The offer the support and protection of a boot while still being very light. They also climb nicely.

- Winter stuff, ice climbing, snowshoeing, very low/fridgid temps, Alps (summer or winter)... ridgid alpine climbing boot with integrated gaiter. Scarpa Phantom Guide (now discontinued but with new models with are supposed to be even better).

It is impossible to have only one pair of shoes/boots for everything... Even in my particular case, I still lack a mid height flexible boot for forest scrambling in wet season, as my Salewa Crows are overkill (too ridgid) and my low ankle approach shoes do not have a membrain.

So... what kind of treks and terrains you plan on tackling? During which season? Snowshoes/crampons expected? How heavy of a backpack?

Brand means nothing if a particular boot does not fit you. I love Bestard and I would love to like them... but my feet don't, and I cannot stand them (I have tried). I would suggest you go to a big store and try on everything they have, at least you will see which fit you and which not. And then go from there.

Mikel

My wife and I are going hiking in Gatlinburg around Christmas. I am not a big hiker, though I plan to do it more. I’m looking for some recommendations for some good boots. The trip is too close to get a pair of Nicks made in time, so it’s off the shelf shopping for me.

What boots do you recommend? I’m not really giving myself an upper limit. I want good boots that don’t fall apart if you look at them wrong. I’m willing to spend the money to get the right pair.
How did it go?? And what boots did you end up with?? Wife??
John

Back