Hiking boots

My favorite is Asolo, made in hungry, or Rachle made in romania...both available at REI.
Min last a couple years, then I just get them resoled....Both are water proof, both are available in a winter or summer boot. I always pre treat the boots with nik wax....
hope this helps

I have had both Merrell and Danner and like them both. My Merrell's were manufactured in Korea but they are at least 6 years old. My current boots are Danner Combat hikers which are made in the USA. They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had - no break in time. They are expensive if you order them from Amazon but I was able to find a new pair on eBay for under $120.

I have some Asolo's that I've had for a long time and they are still going strong. Great boots.

-Tye

There are items that you can skimp on price to save a few bucks and that's ok, but, when it comes to your shoes or better yet boots for hiking buy the best you can afford, you'll be happy you did. You can't afford an injury or hurt feet while hiking in the mountains/woods away from everyone and possibly alone.

If I had all the money to spend I would get Asolo's

had many pairs but that was before marriage and kids so now I am buying cheaper boots

I now use Merrel boots but Vasque is also a great value

Asolo all the way. I have some all leather gore tex boots that I have abused for seats and they are still going strong.

A great place to buy boots = Zappos.com. Free shipping to you and back to them (if you don't like them).
I elk hunted last year in my Keen Oregon Pacific boots. They are sweet. :)
Don't forget about Danner's as well.

The only boots I buy now are Hanwag. I have been through a few pairs of boots that either didn't last too long or just didn't fit well. They also use the ball bearing lace setup on a lot of their boots that I have found to be noticeably better than the usual loops or hooks. :thumbup:

Merrells are pretty good hiking boots. I have a pair of their Radland hiking boots and a pair of their Outback hiking sandals. They're pretty light with tough vibram soles and can take quite a beating. Plus they're very comfortable. They're made in China though.

As for North Face boots, I've had a very bad experience with 'em. I got a Fortress GTX pair. Those were really good looking boots. Unlike the Merrell, I had to break them in for a whole month. And when I finally got to use them on a hike, the midsoles just literally disintegrated. That happened on the way up! I didn't abort the hike though, I still went on with it without any soles though, just the leather upper and the bottom plate. Good thing is, I returned it to the distributor here in the Philippines and since the boot is already discontinued, they gave me store credit and I got me one of them jackets! Love their backpacks and jackets.

My brother swears by his Danners though. Pretty expensive boots, but he says they're worth it.

Back