Hiking Buddy Or Esquire?

blue333

Gold Member
Of the two above said knives, which would you prefer for an edc? I'm having a waaaay harder time than I imagined trying to purchase a fiddleback knife! I have been looking for an edc blade between 6 1/2 - 7 1/4 inches (non chunky) and these are the two that I have narrowed it down to.
I like the idea of having a tad more blade on the hiking buddy but on the flip side, like the idea of having a tad more compact carry knife of the Esquire. Both models have awesome scales and I would be more than happy with either, I just can't pull the dang trigger yet! Lol.
If the Esquire was the size of he Hiking Buddy, I would probably go for it. I am in love with the Esquires handle shape! As for the hiking buddy, it is
The perfect size and profile for me. I can argue both sides all day long, but for the life of me, I can't make a decision!
I think it may also be a price thing. These knives cost a pretty penny for me and I plan on having whichever blade I pick until I can pass it down to one of my bambino's (aka kid's). It will be one of my sons, or even my daughters. If she digs the outdoors and knives like me, then little mama will get it.
Anyone with one or both of these knives that can chime in, I would be very thankful. The good and bads, any info would be awesone.

Last edited:
Esquire. But if you’re partial to “larger” knives, go hiking buddy. I have both, Esquire fits the bill for EDC. Hiking buddy, well, for hiking/camping!

While I really like the profile of the Esquire it just didn’t fit my hand like I wanted it to (I wear a med/lg glove). That being said I’ve only had one and while they may look identical each knife has its own feel. I think I’ll try a Monarch one day since it’s basically a larger Esquire.

The Hiking Buddy is such a perfect design that I don’t think you can go wrong here. Great EDC size and feels great in hand.

Dang, I wasn't expecting so many replies so fast. You guys are Awesome!! (& also just made it harder for me, lol I kid)
Nbrackett, I also am a med/large glove and wonder if I will have the same issue? I think I will go with the Hiking Buddy "First", then you guessed it, the Esquire next, lol. This will solve my problem, end of deciding!
The hiking buddy scale combo is what pushed it over the edge for me. Plus it is also a tapered tang making a bit lighter. I plan to carry it horizontal carry on my left side/front.
In the very near future I will pick up an Esquire.
I will post some pics when I have said knife in hand. Thank you guys so much for all the help!

I have several of both models. I tend to carry my Esquires more for edc. They hide in my pockets better and handle everyday tasks well. Whenever I'm out in the woods I carry a Hiking Buddy or larger. A lot of times I have both on me. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Find one you like and go for it. Chances are you'll end up with both models eventually anyway.

I don’t have either - yet. A Hiking Buddy is on its way.

I don’t think you can wrong with either and there will be numerous fans of each. There is also some variation between knives of the same model as pointed out by Nbrackett Nbrackett so that each has its own “feel”.
A lot of it will be personal preference/hand size/where you live/whether you intend to pocket or belt-carry/how big the pockets are of the pants you typically wear... etc.
For example, I live in a very urban environment. Therefore belt-carry is out. For pocket-carry, 7” is my max. If I wore baggier or cargo pants, it might be longer. I carry a Lil’ Lady. Perfect size and a shape that doesn’t tend to scare non-knife folks.
Both are great designs. The Hiking Buddy is a solid, classic blade. The Esquire is a little more unique/edgy. The Esquire might look a bit “aggressive” to non-knife people, which could be a factor in whether you carry it or leave it at home.
Ultimately, only you can really decide but these are a few thoughts that might be useful to consider.
Enjoy your new FF!

Oh, and I should tell you now, no matter which one you get, you WILL be getting the other one and/or another one soon... :)

ETA: seems you posted while I was still rambling. Looks like you have a plan.

Esquire is too small for me, never really liked it. I’d rather carry a folder. However the hiking buddy is a nice light carry knife, one of the more useful models.

Esquire is too small for me, never really liked it. I’d rather carry a folder. However the hiking buddy is a nice light carry knife, one of the more useful models.
I agree. There are uses for smaller fixed blades but as a general rule, for me anyway: <3” = folder 3”+ = fixed blade.

The Esquire is a sexy little knife with a swedge. A Hiking Buddy is more versatile, from my perspective, so it would be my choice over an Esquire.

Ok, so I pulled the trigger and ordered the Hiking Buddy. I took a screen shot of the knife but cropped out a bit of the handle due to the web sites water mark. I'm not sure if I could post stuff like that here, so I didn' want to take any chances. It does show a good picture of the Spalting, I'm about 99.99% sure it' A2. Scale combo and the tapered tang Sealed the deal for me. I know there is more skill than work involved to get that taper just right. Having that as part of this knife and the weight savings for edc carry, won me over : )

Maybe some of you will know where it came from as the web site/seller appears to not have any steel info on most of there knives?

351ztok.jpg

351ztok.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice, Good find Nbrackett!
I was hoping something with the original listing would turn up. This sounds like a pretty complicated handle/knife combo, but I dig it!

Back