Hiking with the BB13

Pretty sure it is. IIRC, the BB13 was not offered in anything but CG.
That's what I thought but that thing looks very nice! I was considering stripping mine but I hadn't seen any stripped so I was not sure about grinder gremlins. Either that took A LOT of time or the BB-13 is a good candidate for stripping. Hopefully some others can chime in.

That's what I thought but that thing looks very nice! I was considering stripping mine but I hadn't seen any stripped so I was not sure about grinder gremlins. Either that took A LOT of time or the BB-13 is a good candidate for stripping. Hopefully some others can chime in.

I stripped one. I had a love/hate relationship with INFI that was coming out there for a while.
2019-06-16 10.22.14.jpg

I stripped one. I had a love/hate relationship with INFI that was coming out there for a while.
View attachment 1145932
That is gorgeous! Is that your special Blue Magic and Steel Wool finish? That is probably the nicest looking Bb-13 I've ever seen. Did you have to sand out any grinder gremlins?

I just received my Blue Magic from Amazon on Friday. I'll post pics of the Mentor when she's done

That is gorgeous! Is that your special Blue Magic and Steel Wool finish? That is probably the nicest looking Bb-13 I've ever seen. Did you have to sand out any grinder gremlins?

I just received my Blue Magic from Amazon on Friday. I'll post pics of the Mentor when she's done
That one was just bead blasted with no other work done. There were gremlins on it. They just don't show as badly with a blasted finish.

That’s just a stunning blade, Ptac157. I remember when you first posted that over a year ago—still looks great!

BTW here’s clampdaddy’s blade with a Ban-Tang-applied zero convex edge:
IMG_4787.jpg
The faint marks aren’t prominent at all after clampdaddy’s super bead-blast job, and it’s a user so no worries. Cleans up easily with steel wool and Hoppes No 9 bore solvent—shows virtually no signs of wear at all. My best pure chopper. Thanks again, cd!

Last edited:
That’s just a stunning blade, Ptac157. I remember when you first posted that over a year ago—still looks great!

View attachment 1146035
The faint marks aren’t prominent at all after clampdaddy’s super bead-blast job, and it’s a user so no worries. Cleans up easily with steel wool and Hoppes No 9 bore solvent—shows virtually no signs of wear at all. My best pure chopper. Thanks again, cd!
I'm so glad she's in your hands. She looks absolutely stunning with that edge. I still have yours too. Thinking that one day I may send it off to have her thinned down a bit, like how Zombiehunter had his done. Really digging the choil mod that @Ptac 157 did on his.

Thanks mate, I did some major mods to this one which meant I really had no choice but to strip it. It ended up with a nice mirror polish, but I had no intention of maintaining it since it’s a heavy user. I actually only had one small imperfection in the steel under the coating. I ended up doing a full convex so that imperfection disappeared with the grinding. From memory I removed about 70 gm of steel from the blade

View attachment 1146035
Will my man, you sure do know how to clean up a stripper. :D:D:D That thing looks even better with the Ban Tang edge on her! The king of basics has the beauty queen of BB-13s! :thumbsup::cool:

Here is a BB13 that was worked over by Josh at Razor's Edge Knives
REK BB13 INFI 18.5 oz .228 in front of handle and .208 spine thickness in center of blade.
Ends up being the same weight as a 1311

Here is a quote of exactly what Josh at Razor's Edge Knives did to the BB13:

"So what I did was regrind to a full flat, then do a convex edge blended into the flat grind so you won't see a transition point for the edge, then I applied a microbevel on the Wicked Edge for the final apex stability. You will notice 2 tick marks near the edge on the blade, this is the sweet spot for chopping where you will be doing your harder chopping. In between the tick marks I did a mirror polished micro-bevel because a polished edge is better for chopping, whereas I left the rest of the blade (heel and tip) with a 1k grit edge on it which will be perfect for cutting rope, or hacking weeds/underbrush (for a machete type use). I also didn't leave the tip overly thick since I figured you would be using this in a jungle type setting you would want precision cuts on light vegetation as well."

REK BB13

acnYeCN.jpg

Here is a BB13 that was worked over by Josh at Razor's Edge Knives
REK BB13 INFI 18.5 oz .228 in front of handle and .208 spine thickness in center of blade.
Ends up being the same weight as a 1311

Here is a quote of exactly what Josh at Razor's Edge Knives did to the BB13:

"So what I did was regrind to a full flat, then do a convex edge blended into the flat grind so you won't see a transition point for the edge, then I applied a microbevel on the Wicked Edge for the final apex stability. You will notice 2 tick marks near the edge on the blade, this is the sweet spot for chopping where you will be doing your harder chopping. In between the tick marks I did a mirror polished micro-bevel because a polished edge is better for chopping, whereas I left the rest of the blade (heel and tip) with a 1k grit edge on it which will be perfect for cutting rope, or hacking weeds/underbrush (for a machete type use). I also didn't leave the tip overly thick since I figured you would be using this in a jungle type setting you would want precision cuts on light vegetation as well."

REK BB13
acnYeCN.jpg
Just WOW! THAT'S C:cool::cool:L!

I think I'm gonna be reaching out to Josh @razor-edge-knives

Back