Hillzula

I've always wanted to make a knife. Problem was, I don't have any of the proper tools, belt grinder, or anything else. I went for it anyway. This was the design I was originally after.

DSCN1331.jpg

Those white pieces are bone that I planned on using for the scales. That was a whole different adventure I shouldn't have taken on.

DSCN1332.jpg

Problem now is, I totally screwed up on the plunge line and ruined the blade. I only had a small piece of 1080 steel left and was having a difficult time coming up with a pattern that would work so small. Then it hit me, The Izula! I set it on the piece of steel and it fit. So I traced and modified the shape just a little and came up with this.

DSCN1367.jpg

Still pretty rough but that's how it goes with a file. Here is it after some more filing and some work with the sanding block.

DSCN1375.jpg

DSCN1373.jpg

The bone scales were coming along. My jigging pattern sucked, but it was good learning experience.

DSCN1381.jpg

I still have some clean up to do but I'm over it for awhile. Here is the 95% completed Hillzula.

DSCN1410.jpg

DSCN1409.jpg

DSCN1406.jpg

DSCN1407.jpg

The whole knife making process eludes me. The filing/grind of the blade, thinning the edge as you go down, and making everything symmetrical. Geesh.

Looks good mhill. If you can do that, you oughta whip up some home made micarta scales for that baby!

That's pretty damn good IMO which doesn't mean much. How do you shape the blade from the original cut out? Hhhhmmm maybe you have inspired me to try to make a bushcraft knife of some sort.

Man, I hope my first attempt looks half as good as that. Great job, keep at it.

Question, are there steel distributors for knife types of steels? Are they costly?

i think thats awesome for your first attempt wish i could make something that looked half that good, keep us updated on your progress man, good job!!

Looks like an Izzy on steroids :D Whats the thickness of it?
Looks good bro!

That's OUTSTANDING for a first attempt.
I would definitely like to give that a try. The part that concerns me though is what to do about a heat treat. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to heat treat a blade.
How well do you think the edge will hold up with out this being done?

SJ

Good point on the heat treatment. I ended up sending mine to Peters Heat Treating. I had intended on trying to do it myself, but lack of equipment convinced me to send it out and have it properly done.

It's a 1/4" thick with a fully convex grind from spine to blade. It pops hairs but is pretty thick for a real skinner. All I really have left is to clean up some of the gunk around the brass and bone.

I also used Ferric Chloride to etch the blade. Lesson learned there as well. That stuff will give you a nasty sore throat if you don't wear some protection.

I love it. How much will you take for it?

I love it. How much will you take for it?

I have to be careful with this thing, unlike a real ESEE, I don't think it comes with the awesome warranty.

After all the hours I spent filing on that boat anchor, I plan on at least skinning one deer with it this year. Then maybe I'll retire it next to my granddad's knife.

I have to be careful with this thing, unlike a real ESEE, I don't think it comes with the awesome warranty.

After all the hours I spent filing on that boat anchor, I plan on at least skinning one deer with it this year. Then maybe I'll retire it next to my granddad's knife.

Well, if you get ready to part with it, just let me know. I'd love to have it simply because of how it started out and and how it ended up. I'm impressed.

I too think you did a good job. With just a drill and a file, no less. :D

As with everything else, it gets better with practice. I see you may have a knack for it. Keep at it and do more.

I like the rustic look of the blade in your third photo.

Careful Jeff, this is month 7 since I closed my company and been unemployed. I'm tempted to sell my soul at this point.

I'll make a promise to you however, if I ever do get to a point where I can afford some real equipment and am able to make a better quality knife. I'll give you this first one. Why? Because I love my Izula and I appreciate everything you and Mike do around here for t he community.

Back