Himalayan Imports Picture Thread

I have a real soft spot for the animal headed Khukuris so I think I will post mine for all of you!

Sher, the Tiger Kami-Zoomorphic Khukuris
(L->R) Hanuman, Biralo, Garud
main.php

(L->R) Hanuman, Garud, Biralo
main.php

(T->B) Hanuman, Garud, Biralo
main.php

you can easily see that Biralo is of the older, smaller pattern
main.php

Profiles of the threes, (L->R) Biralo, Garud, Hanuman
main.php
main.php
main.php

Last and certainly not least is a bad pic of my four beauties, my YCS collection. Left two are from the YCS special buy we did a few years ago. The left one is osage orange wood, I believe the only one so made. Second from left is one of the few checkerboard ones from the first shipment. Fantastic handle work, all those inlays are perfectly moulded into the handle.

Second from right is one of two original chiruwa-YCS that showed up some time after normal YCS production had been stopped due to the thin blades problem in 2002ish. Seeing how cool these were, we did the special buy later in 2003 IIRC. We never did figure out what wood this is, it is very dark and dense.

Rightmost is my original YCS by Sanu. Dan Koster later worked this over to smooth out some ripples in the blade, and of course gave it a great convex edge and wood treatment. Along with some of Dan's kydex sheaths, this is my favorite "fancy" user.

4-YCS.jpg

Bumping just because I want to see some new pics and to say that these knives are beautiful. Are they ever produced or was it a one time thing?

Yes they are still produced. Ask Auntie for one or watch the DOTD's.
Last time (i think) it was last month.

Yes they are still produced. Ask Auntie for one or watch the DOTD's.
Last time (i think) it was last month.

Thanks a lot DanSmithy I just sent Yandu an email about the knife. I really like the one on the right but they are all beautiful!! Are these knives just for looks or for use as well?

I think what constitutes "field usage" to HI blades would make most knife makers curl up in the fetal position and soil themselves.

Take this beauty:
100_0138.jpg

One of the nicest "utility knives" I have, and very much used before the sheath died. Nice, svelte little chicka, no?

NO!
100_0139.jpg

Look at that spine. There's no way I could break that by hand in ANY usage I could think of, yet IIRC, Kerambits are not warranted for "field use".

This took down a small pine tree (6" or so IIRC), and is most definitely not a field tool. Does it look worse for the wear?
100_0068.jpg

Unless you are using it for logging or building a house I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, you probably want one of the big bruisers anyway to get the work done faster.

I love that Karambit. I have see a few of those in picture threads but not any for sale. I guess they come up now and again. That thing looks like a little beast! I hear you on the toughness factor. These knives look like they could eat some of the competition and never miss a step. Hopefully I will hear back from Yangdu soon on one of these.

I love that Karambit. I have see a few of those in picture threads but not any for sale. I guess they come up now and again. That thing looks like a little beast! I hear you on the toughness factor. These knives look like they could eat some of the competition and never miss a step. Hopefully I will hear back from Yangdu soon on one of these.

The YCS certainly was NOT designed to be a show piece...but what a beauty:
khuk30.jpg

Look at my DC (also not fully warranteed) review.
:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761019

I think on the HI website there is a link to the YCS proper review (not sure).

CPL: " I think what constitutes "field usage" to HI blades would make most knife makers curl up in the fetal position and soil themselves."
Nice one CPL!

Last edited:
You have one? That is awesome!!! So is the Dui chirra. Spoke back with Yangdu and she said that the people that made these were no longer around but she would check and see if anyone thought they could make one.

I think the concern was to find someone who could do the inlay work on the handle. Absolutely beautiful!!

You have one? That is awesome!!! So is the Dui chirra. Spoke back with Yangdu and she said that the people that made these were no longer around but she would check and see if anyone thought they could make one.

I think the concern was to find someone who could do the inlay work on the handle. Absolutely beautiful!!

I don't have one (YCS) that is.
I'm in love with the original YCS design (as above) ever since I've seen it on the Hi website. Here...I've just confessed...to a knife:eek:
Pity, seems that the young kamis can't make it right...yet.
I think mainly because the original was much lighter...but not sure...could be the handle.

Keep us informed of what Auntie says about making one:thumbup:

It's never easy to choose between these two.
DSC03007.jpg

Both are awesome looking blades it the one on the left had the blade on the right I'd have to have one just like it! They are nice, I just got into the Kukris/Khukris got my first it's not a HI but I just wanted to see what the hype was all about. Now looking at the HI!
Pic like yours makes it very easy to want one!

Top to bottom
Kumar CAK - Santosh WWII - Murali Bonecutter

3 HI.jpg

Last weekend the CAK was given as a present to my son-in-law for his birthday. He was pretty shocked. By the time I made it home he already sent me a text and pic of a tree in his yard that he couldn't get down with his other kukris.

Soon I will have an M43 to replace the CAK. Its on order :)

Bill
Virginia

15" Ang Khola

ang3.jpg

ang4.jpg

The other items in this picture are actually pretty interesting.
The shovel is a Russian entrenching shovel from WWII, HEAVILY used and beaten, and the ENTIRE shovel was sharpened at one time. I'm sure it has stories. The Lee-Enfield is a No. 4 MK 1 that was made in England, then shipped ot Burma [has Indonesian adn Burmese markings], and later given to India [Indian refurioshment markings]. Again, I'm sure it has some stories.

I'll add this to the pic thread:

HPIM1375.jpg

Farm Knife... or golok, or "short dao"

16.5" long with an 11" blade. 22 oz.

Last edited:
Back