Hinderer Firetac?

What does everyone think of the new model? I’ve never had a Hinderer but I like it a lot. I think my next purchase will either be that or a CRK Large Inkosi with micarta. Thoughts?

Steel Will Resident - D2/CF/TI ~$85
Steel-Will-Resident-F15-91-BHQ-77680-er.jpg

Hinderer Firetac - 20cv/G10/Ti ~$425
Hinderer-Knives-Firetac-Spanto-Black-G-10-SW-BHQ-84390-jr-large.jpg

I'm underwhelmed.

Maybe 30% better in terms of blade steel and overall build quality(guessing) for 500% the price.

Steel Will Resident - D2/CF/TI ~$85
That's a good looking knife T.L.E. I have the feeling you are about to cost me money! Could very well fit the role of elegant folder (for me, at least).

Hinderer looks good as well, but doesn't look $425 good, for me, again.

When I first saw pics of this knife I assumed Hinderer was making a smaller cheaper knife to offer. I thought maybe, based on the look, a price tag of $250.

It looks like an elongated griptilian. For 400+ bucks... Nope.

What does everyone think of the new model? I’ve never had a Hinderer but I like it a lot. I think my next purchase will either be that or a CRK Large Inkosi with micarta. Thoughts?
The Firetac is actually one of Rick’s earliest designs and predates the XM-18.

I have no doubt its a great knife, but it's a pretty boring design IMO, very generic. Also that G10 is pretty underwhelming for $400.

My impression of Hinderer knives business model now is making mostly basic "platforms" to accessorize with various other Hinderer farkles after the purchase of the knife. Nothing wrong that, great for the guy that likes customizing his knife but it also means more dollars after the sale. Perhaps like car dealerships that make most of their profits from parts and accessories. Quality knives and very customizable but overpriced and uninspired on many of them for me.

I would have liked to see an inlay in the scale(like the originals) rather then the outline of where the inlay belongs. The scale seems the weak point of what I am sure is a great knife like his others IMO. Chances are that there will be other scale offering in time.
I still would buy one since I like his non-flippers

I have to echo the general sentiment. I really like it and want one but it is just not compelling enough to pay that much. At $100 less I would be looking for one but at that price I would just a bit more and get a CRK

I like the look of it personally. Does it feel as well built, tight tolerances as xm series?

image.jpg
As far as those two choices, it’s ez. Inkosi all the way for me. Sitting here flipping my CF Inkosingo as I type this. Awesome, and in many ways not too different from the knife in question.

That is interesting... looks nice but it is plain. too bad Rick didn't get permission to add a wave from Erni lol

View attachment 898864
As far as those two choices, it’s ez. Inkosi all the way for me. Sitting here flipping my CF Inkosingo as I type this. Awesome, and in many ways not too different from the knife in question.

I like CRK's but I can't get over the thumb stud... too pointy and uncomfortable for me. Although I may pick one up and switch it out :D

I see this as an attempt at competing for a share of the CRK market. I do like the look of the Firetac, but that is a steep price. I would like to see a comparison between the Hinderer and a CRK in terms of fit and finish, materials, etc.

Totally agree with that and love the slimness, weight, blade shape. I have no doubt I will try one someday but only if a micarta one hits. Red linen micarta would be awesome.

Totally agree with that and love the slimness, weight, blade shape. I have no doubt I will try one someday but only if a micarta one hits. Red linen micarta would be awesome.
He has had the red micarta on customs-seems like he made a batch semi recently. He likely will make these scales in the future. He seems to like selling scales. I am sure the scale will be an additional cost to the knife.

Back