Hinderer Skinnys

Most Hinderers I’ve seen haven’t been great slicers. It would be nice to see a firetac with a slicer grind. A skinny 3.5 inch xm18 with slicer grind is a pretty rare knife but an excellent grail to quest after.
That's what I've got, in my pocket at the moment in fact. I think they should absolutely make more of these, because the blade itself is excellent. Tip like a needle and the edge is under .020" thick.

That's what I've got, in my pocket at the moment in fact. I think they should absolutely make more of these, because the blade itself is excellent.

A lot of their brand identity is probably tied up in the whole overbuilt thing. They sell a bunch of knives anyway so unless there is a huge public outcry for skinny slicers they will likely unfortunately be fairly anomalous in RHK’s brand.

Too bad because it is actually one of the nicest things they have ever built imho. Not that I’ve handled one but I have seen the firetac thickness and imagining that with a blade that cuts on an xm18 3.5 platform would be THE Hinderer to buy imho.

Hopefully they won’t release a slicer firetac or I may have to buy it.

A lot of their brand identity is probably tied up in the whole overbuilt thing. They sell a bunch of knives anyway so unless there is a huge public outcry for skinny slicers they will likely unfortunately be fairly anomalous in RHK’s brand.

Too bad because it is actually one of the nicest things they have ever built imho. Not that I’ve handled one but I have seen the firetac thickness and imagining that with a blade that cuts on an xm18 3.5 platform would be THE Hinderer to buy imho.

Hopefully they won’t release a slicer firetac or I may have to buy it.
You're probably right. It's sad to me though, because I don't even like Hinderers for their supposed ruggedness. All 3 of my Gen 6s (including the one in my pocket now) had lock flex, something that seems to be prevalent among the new knives, and I think something like a Cold Steel AD-10 or SR1 is going to be a better choice for actual work even before you consider the price differential. This Skinny slicer is just a well made, customizable, ergonomic tool with good blade geometry and heat treat, and that's enough for me to make it worth the $465 price. It's significantly better than the 3 other Hinderers I've owned.

You're probably right. It's sad to me though, because I don't even like Hinderers for their supposed ruggedness. All 3 of my Gen 6s (including the one in my pocket now) had lock flex, something that seems to be prevalent among the new knives, and I think something like a Cold Steel AD-10 or SR1 is going to be a better choice for actual work even before you consider the price differential. This Skinny slicer is just a well made, customizable, ergonomic tool with good blade geometry and heat treat, and that's enough for me to make it worth the $465 price. It's significantly better than the 3 other Hinderers I've owned.
I’ve got 8 or 9 brand new tri-ways and every single one of em is a damn tank. I’m not sure why you’re getting lock-flex. Mine show nothing of the sort. I had two that had to go back and/or get replaced for lock-stick, the others are perfect. Insanely good action and tough, solid build.
They’re all ready for “actual work”.

I’ve got 8 or 9 brand new tri-ways and every single one of em is a damn tank. I’m not sure why you’re getting lock-flex. Mine show nothing of the sort. I had two that had to go back and/or get replaced for lock-stick, the others are perfect. Insanely good action and tough, solid build.
They’re all ready for “actual work”.
Well, 100% of mine have had lock flex, and the lock placement and design leave no question as to why that's the case. They would be okay as a work knife but I think there's a ton of better options than a $425 Hinderer, even price blind.

Not to be rude, but I don't buy it that every single one of yours is completely without lock flex. Just based on where the lock bar engages the blade tang and the big gap in the lock bar cut virtually guarantees that any force on the lockbar pushes nearly perpendicular to the lock rather than axially, and the lock will flex as a result. Really crank on your blades with static hand pressure to test for vertical play and I'd bet you feel/hear the shift, too. If you don't push very hard it'll probably feel like a bank vault.

Again, they're fine knives, but not because they're "built like tanks".

Last edited:
Ill pay more attention and check em all out. I will say the 3.0s don’t have quite as solid a feel as the 3.5 and 4.0, understandably. Everything is just miniaturized the smaller you go. Less contact areas, less material, thinner everything.
There are absolutely more solid lock designs than titanium frame locks, I don’t think anybody will argue that.

I'd be interested in a skinny sheepsfoot. The Slicer was pretty good but I don't like the overall look of it with the handle.

where can I find a gen 4 (?) xm-18 3.5 skinny slicer? I prefer washers only, no bearings.

Yeah, skinny XM18 3.5s have only ever been done with the Triway Pivot.

Reactions: KVT
Bump. Did someone say Vintage? :D

eXJtlul.jpg

Seriously though, where are the 3.5 DLT Skinny no choil?

Back