Hinderer XM Slippy - How do you adjust the pivot screw (tool doesn't fit)?

Hi,

I recently thought about buying a Hinderer XM Slippy. I read a bit about the knife and watched some Youtube videos and couldn't help but notice that it has a proprietary pivot screw. Okay, I prefer standard screws but I have bought some knives that have proprietary screws in the past and am okay with it as long as there is a tool for them. But there isn't a tool included in the package and the "Armorer's Tool" is just for the XM-18 3,5" and XM-24, not for the 3" or the Slippy.

So can you please tell me how you adjust the pivot screw on the Slippy / if there is a tool for the Slippy?

Es gibt Schraubenzieher die auf der Seite passen. Die haben eine Aussparung.
/ Schlitz Mutterndreher heissen die.

(Simply said there are specific screwdrivers with a cutout)

Snap ring pliers with .050" pins (straight or 90°) work perfectly, too.

What you are looking for is called a spanner bit. Unfortunately I don’t know the size for that particular model.

Just a quick update in case someone runs into the same problem in the future:

1. I tried a Wera Size 10 Spanner Bit (Item #05057153001). It fit's like a glove.
2. Hinderer answered my mail (I asked for the tool) here is what they said: "The XM-Slippy wasn't designed to be taken apart. We don't have spanner bit size for it due to it is custom size."
3. Confused? I asked a Hinderer dealer and he told me that he cannot recommend to disassemble the slippy because the pivot screw is fixated with red Loctite and 9/10 tries of manipulating it will cause serious problems and the need for a spare screw.

Guess I'll just leave it as it is for now. :)

Just a quick update in case someone runs into the same problem in the future:

1. I tried a Wera Size 10 Spanner Bit (Item #05057153001). It fit's like a glove.
2. Hinderer answered my mail (I asked for the tool) here is what they said: "The XM-Slippy wasn't designed to be taken apart. We don't have spanner bit size for it due to it is custom size."
3. Confused? I asked a Hinderer dealer and he told me that he cannot recommend to disassemble the slippy because the pivot screw is fixated with red Loctite and 9/10 tries of manipulating it will cause serious problems and the need for a spare screw.

Guess I'll just leave it as it is for now. :)

I am interested in purchasing a Slippy as well. But, it is very important that I can break down the knife to clean it. Have you tried to take the knife apart yet?

Didn't try. I trust my dealer on this. He sells only high quality knives and offers modification for all of them. If he says it is a PITA to open it and that it is likely to kill the screw that will be the case.

Didn't try. I trust my dealer on this. He sells only high quality knives and offers modification for all of them. If he says it is a PITA to open it and that it is likely to kill the screw that will be the case.

Had an email dialogue with R. Hinderer and Company. The Slippy is not meant to be broken down for cleaning. While I like the knife very much, I am going to pass until they make a Slippy that can be broken down completely by the user for cleaning.

I will put an order in for a Chris Reeves Impinda instead.

This is a very bad news...I'd always loved to make a custom handles for the slippy but now I think I have to surrender.

Not necessarily. You don't need to open the axis screw to change the scales and all other screws aren't treated with Loctite.

Back