Hip replacement & changes..

It's not everyday you start a thread w/ that for the title, but that's where I'll be on Wednesday, getting my right hip replaced. I have a highly arthritic hip joint that has been plaguing me since I was 19. It's been a long time coming and I'm excited about the changes that a new one will bring. I had meant to post this up a week or two ago and give you all some notice but the time got away from me.

It is also looking like I'll be moving back to CT in early November to be closer to family. My folks are getting older and it seems that perhaps it would be good if I were there. This has not been an easy decision on any level, and it's something I've been struggling with for a few months now. Andy and I talked, and overall the timing seems to make sense. Of course it is also a lousy time - we just moved into the new shop, I'll be out w/ the hip recovery, Andy'll be out rocking the Guild show, and no shortage of things to be done here. As such, timing for big changes like this is seldom perfect, but sometimes you have to walk through the door when it's open. That's one thing I learned the hard way every time I didn't ask out a girl I liked and had the opportunity to do so.

I'll still be around for a bit in October, wrapping things up and hopefully making a handful of fancy handle scales for you folks. In the meantime I would recommend you direct your questions to Vance (sorry Vance :D). Fear not, this man knows his knives! I will do my absolute best to get back to PM's, but there'll be a delay I'm sure.

Andy, thank you so much for asking me to come work with you 2.5 years ago. I fell in love with knives as a young kid, like we all did. I remember saving up for a Cold Steel tanto, my first 'real' knife, and waiting until summertime to order it so I knew I would be home from school to catch the UPS driver and hide it from my mom. It was that important. Jump ahead a decade or two, I'm making furniture & you're making knives, and we meet at Blade Show and our bond formed instantly. When you asked me to move here and join you in this pursuit part of me went right back to being that kid in the driveway waiting for his knife to arrive. Excited. And also honored. It has been a privilege to work beside you (and Everybody else!). One of my favorite parts has been watching you drive the apprentices to be as good as they can be. It is truly inspiring how important that is for you. I'm hopeful I'll be a graduate too someday. It still freaks me out a little that I know how to and can make my own knife. That is something the 11 year old kid in me never expected, and for that I thank you more than you may know.

~ Ken

Good luck with the replacement surgery Ken. God speed in recovery too. I've been following FF for a couple of years now. Wish I had jumped on a few knives back in the day. I'll keep watching for the right one but will miss you on Fridays. Good luck with the move.

Hey Ken, I know we only met briefly during the Blade show this year, but in that limited time, I sensed that you were a nice, honest person. Your addition to Andy's team was so very welcome. I can not tell you how many times I thought to myself how professional you were when I read your thread responses here on the forums. Always patient, and very informative with your words. Thank you for that!
It is sad to see you go, yet I completely understand. I wish you the best of luck with everything now and in the future.
Please stay in touch and let us know if there's anything we can do!
All the best,
Sergio

Ken, best of luck as life comes at you. Good things happen to good people, and you have truly shown that you are "good people." One thing I have noticed is that life is strange, and the circles seem to always be intersecting. So, keep us informed as you make your move and who knows how the circles may intersect. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Wow. That is kinda sad, but at the same time certainly exciting for you. Wish you all the best and a speedy recovery on your hip surgery. Thanks for all the great handles and so many witty posts that helped make this forum so enjoyable. Good luck buddy!

BTW, This will never leave my possession.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442194253.874508.jpg

Good luck and god bless man. I'm only 40 and the VA want to replace mine from a service injury I keep putting it off but I know it's coming as much as I don't want it to happen.

good luck, you can not believe the change. I'm looking at a rebuild next spring been 21yrs since replacement.

Good luck Ken! I hope all goes well, and I'll have to come down and see you before you head out and buy you a beer, or hey a smoothie even. I like smoothies too :)

Hi Ken,

My time on the Fiddleback forum started shortly after you joined the team. Since you have handled all the business communications while I have been here, I have always thought of you as the "Face" of Fiddleback Forge. As Sergio stated above, you have always handled every post and communication with professionalism and way more courtesy than some people deserve. You have displayed more understanding, courtesy, and compassion in your role at Fiddleback than anyone else could possibly surpass. I am sure that Vance (i.e. "Phillip") will do an exemplary job managing the FF threads and general customer communications. With that said, you have set such a high standard of customer support, that the best he can do is learn from you and emulate the way you have treated everyone during your tenure here.

From our numerous PM's, texts, and e-mails over the last two plus years, you have become a good friend to me. You were the person from the the crew that I was most interested in meeting at the Blade Show this year. You are as gracious in person as you are on the forum. You are a genuinely good man who doesn't put on different masks for different environments. I admire you more than you know for your authenticity and consistency in how you treat people. I appreciate you letting me know recently about your pending hip surgery so that I could pray for you to have a fast and successful recovery. Hearing about your plans to leave the company is a shock, but I respect you for putting your parents ahead of work in their tim e of need. You are an honorable man that will be sorely missed by Andy and the crew as well as the whole customer base on the forum.

I will continue to pray for you through the surgery, recovery, transition period at the shop, and move up North. Please stay in touch with me with updates and any needs you have. You are a good friend to me no matter what your next career move is down the road.

Wishing all the best to you Ken! You are a man of amazing character. That is rare these days.

Best regards always,

Phil

Ken, all my best to you and your family, the move, and to a successful surgery. Moving back up just in time for the snow it seems.

Ken, you are the reason I am still here in our little corner of Bladeforums. Thank you for your mentorship (whether you knew it or not), your conversation, your contributions to design, and your spirit and sense of community. I hope you will keep in touch and godspeed on what is next for you in your journey.

Good Luck with Surgery. I'm sure it will go well. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors. I am planning on going to the next Blade Show (it will be my first) and I would have liked to meet you.

Stay Safe!!

Kenny,

I've enjoyed what you have brought to the forge and pray all goes well with your surgery and future.

:)

Ken,

You have been a big supporter of my company and a big help to me every time I have questions about a shipment or certain knives. I am sure you will do great through surgery and you will be happier and healthier once through the recovery process! I hope with all this new news that you will keep making knives. I am proud to own one of your knives and everyone I show it to is blown away by the fit and finish on it. You do amazing work! If you decide to start making knives again I would be honored to sell them for you. Anytime I can do anything for you, you know I am a phone call or email away!

Whitty

We'll miss you Ken. Good luck with your surgery, and best wishes for you and your family.

Regards,
Gus

Back