Hip replacement & changes..

Hi folks,

Sorry I've been completely awol lately! Things are going well. The hip is healing nicely and I'm walking better and farther every day. PT has been immensley helpful, and I started hitting the gym again over the weekend, although very lightly.

I had some bone density tests done of my lumbar and left femur, they came back at -.8 and -.4 respectively. The .4 isn't too bad, but the .8 isn't so good. When I told my surgeon that he got pissed and said "You clearly aren't taking care of yourself. With those #'s and having your hip replaced at 42 you need to do better." I said please keep in mind I've had skeletal issues since I was 19, and think I've done remarkably well for the past 23 years keeping myself moving to the best of my ability. In fairness I believe he was coming from a place of encouragement to strive for a stronger body, and moving forward I certainly hope to attain that.

In the meantime I've been packing and prepping to move back north. Scheduled to leave on Sunday, Nov. 15th. I'm surely going to miss it down here but I'm needed back home and in truth that is where my heart is. Too bad I can't take the shop with me, but I know all these southern boys would turn into popsicles and we can't have that. :D It's been good to see things returning to normal at the shop, and thank everybody there for picking up the pieces that my absence brought.

Thanks again to everybody here for the encouragement and well wishes, they meant a tremendous amount to me, then and now. And I'll do my best not to be a stranger in these parts!

Cheers,
Ken

I was just wondering how you were doing this morning! Good to hear you're recovering Ken, I'd imagine the PT for it is tough (and boring, but I hate PTs so I'm biased :) ).

Is the farewell party gonna be at the shop? :D

The PT hasn't been too bad actually. Except for lunges. I cannot stand trying to do them when they tell me to. I think that will be the last range of motion to truly come back. I was also surprised at the relative lack of pain that came immediately after the surgery. Several folks said there wasn't much pain and I couldn't fathom that. But it was true in my case as well. What there was was a tremendous amount of tension in my leg, but it wasn't necessarily painful. And of course the pain meds helped for the first few days.

We haven't set up a goodbye party as of yet but I would like to - so maybe this will be the catalyst for it. It'd be great to see Bud, Southern Gent, Prom52 (and any other locals I may be missing), along w/ the guys and gals at the shop - although I've been seeing the crew when I can get out there. And at the very least.... there is always Blade show next year!

It is great to hear from you Ken. I am happy that you are on the mend and progressing well with the PT. Don't overdo it with the move. Leave the heavy stuff for young guys with strong backs.

I hope that you stay in touch. You have a lot of friends that care about you here.

Best wishes for your transition up North!

Phil

:thumbup: Hey Ken, glad to hear you're doing well. Hope you keep checking in.
Take care,
Gus

Dorothy said it best..."there's no place like home...there's no place like home..."
But, hopefully we'll still see you in the clubhouse. .er um..forum!
Take care Ken!

Glad to hear that you're doing well Ken. Take care and keep us in the loop [emoji3]

It'll be nice to have a knife maker in the northeast, that is, if you plan to start working on your own shop out here? I live in New York and fish in CT relatively often. Its a great state and a beautiful one, too! Hope your recovery is going well.

Ken, just found this thread. Take care my friend. I WILL see you at Blade 2016

Bill!

Back