History of Cold Steel Push-knives

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
With the demise of the Cold Steel Forums, I am attempting to recreate the History threads that I had done over there. Hopefully this can be made a sticky.

My plan is to paste in all the text, and then populate the pics, so bear with me. Hoping to include more pics this time. Most of the pics are from knives I either own or bought and resold. Some of the pictures are not great, as the CS Forums site had size limits, and I wasn’t going to take all new pics…I may replace some here and there as I go.

I am also adding more detailed text descriptions of the markings, instead of just relying on the pix. That way if the pix are lost there is still something to go by.

The info presented is based on what I’ve learned over years of collecting and research. I can’t guarantee that it is all 100% complete and accurate, and I welcome any additional info and corrections.

====================================================================================================

Original Urban Series:

The oldest info I have is a magazine ad from 1982 and a catalog that I was told is from 1984. Both include the Urban Pal and Urban Skinner (the 1982 ad also shows the Urban Hunter and Urban Shiv).

epQ6fMrl.jpg
SS6diFZl.jpg

The original Urban Pal is all-steel with no handle material, while the original Urban Skinner has a Neoprene handle, which is smooth, unlike the later version that has the more familiar checkered Kraton handle. Both are single-edged. The Urban Skinner has a slot in the blade (there was actually an FAQ on the Cold Steel website about why they did this..."This is simply a design feature to add interest and to lighten the blade").

N5W1Xkjl.jpg
7H4Xgwsl.jpg

Period:

Urban Pal: Not exactly sure, but would say very early 80’s to late 80’s. It is not in the 1992 catalog. Instead, there is the Mini Pal.

Urban Skinner: Not exactly sure, but would say very early 80’s to mid 80’s. It is not in the 1988 catalog.

Blade Steel:

Urban Pal: listed as 440C in the 1982 ad and 1984 catalog. The 1988 catalog doesn’t say.

Urban Skinner: listed as Uddeholm stainless in the 1982 ad. The 1984 catalog doesn’t say.

Blade Length / Overall Length:

Urban Pal: 1 3/4" / 3"

Urban Skinner: 3" / 5"

Markings:

Urban Pal: Seems to be a lot of variation. The 1982 ad and 1984 catalog seem to show it with the COLD STEEL logo arranged with COLD over STEEL. The ones I’ve seen have the COLD STEEL INC logo on one line, with “Ventura, Ca.” underneath. Some then also have “Made in Japan” under that, while others have it on the back. I also found pix online of what looks to be a very old version that just says “URBAN PAL” on the front, and “1578” on the back…no idea what the 1578 means. It also has the “scabbard” from the 1982 ad.

lSWJZsal.jpg
xzdsKlcl.jpg
M9iPlgXl.jpg
AU5Eoyal.jpg

Urban Skinner: Handle embossed with Cold Steel logo. The 1984 catalog also shows it with “URBAN SKINNER” on the blade above the slot, but the one I had did not have this.

rfgVR5Jl.jpg

Sheath:

Urban Pal: The 1982 ad shows it with 2 sheaths…a “card case” type and a “universal scabbard”. The 1984 catalog shows a fold-over type sheath with snap closure. Both are B&W, so not sure of the color, but all of the fold-over type sheaths I have seen have been brown leather. In the above pic that has the “scabbard” from the 1982 ad, it looks black.

YNYRWZQl.jpg
F7iY61Sl.jpg

Urban Skinner: Black leather with belt clip

nj8sgKbl.jpg
UPNOyayl.jpg

==============================================================================================

New Urban Skinner, Terminator, and Defender Series:

In the 1988 catalog, the Urban Skinner now has a checkered Kraton handle. There is also the Terminator, which is double-edged.

Nm7OZagl.jpg

At some point, they changed the names…the Terminator became the Defender I, and the Urban Skinner became the Defender II. As far as I know it was simply a name change...I don't believe the knives changed at all. My guess is that the name change was to be more politically correct.

68IaGRVl.jpg

Period: Not really sure of exact dates, but mid-late 80's until 1995. They are Terminator & Urban Skinner in the 1988 catalog, and then they are the Defender Series in the 1992 catalog. Not exactly sure when this changed.

Blade Steel: The 1988 catalog doesn’t say, but the 1992 and 1993/94 catalogs say "400 Series Stainless"…the 1995 catalog says AUS 8A. They may be the same steel.

Terminator/Defender I (double-edge): 3 3/4" / 6"

Urban Skinner/Defender II (single-edge): 2 3/4" / 4 3/4"

Markings: The blade is marked “Made in Japan” on one side. The Kraton handle is embossed with the COLD STEEL INC logo over “Ventura, Ca” one side, and “Made in Japan” on the other.

Xc69LNxl.jpg

Sheath: Black leather with steel belt clip. ETA: As The Whip notes later in this thread, at some point kydex sheaths were also offered. The Whip posted pics of both versions (single and double edge), and I just obtained a Terminator with the kydex sheath...see added pics below.

fbQDZ9Pl.jpg

IMG_5400x.jpg
IMG_5401x.jpg

Misc: A Defender I was used in the movie Platoon. One was also used in the movie Total Recall, when Sharon Stone and Arnold's girlfriend were fighting, right before Arnold kills Sharon Stone..."Consider that a divorce" LOL. I also have a Terminator with a box that is labeled “Magnum Skinner”, but you can tell that under the Magnum Skinner label is a Terminator label. And both labels have model #24, so it’s not just a mistake. Only thing I can think of is that before changing the name to Defender, maybe they were going to call it the Magnum Skinner, and actually had some labels made up. And maybe after deciding to go with Defender instead, a few made it out the door with the Magnum Skinner label by mistake.

s0WVkcCl.jpg

Last edited:
Safe Keeper Series:

The Safe Keeper series consisted of 3 models…I, II, and III…but only the I and II were available at first. The I was the longest, and is the largest push-dagger CS has made to date. The II was similar to the Terminator/Defender I, and the III was almost identical to the Urban Skinner/Defender II. In fact, the blade lengths are the same, but the necks on the Safe Keepers were lengthened a little, increasing the overall length a bit. The blood-grooves on the Terminator/Defender I are gone, which makes the blades a little plain in my opinion.

PkAqSaul.jpg

Period:

Safe Keeper I: 1996 - 1999
Safe Keeper II: 1996 – 2005; 2007; 2010 - 2016
Safe Keeper III: 1998 – 2005; 2007; 2010 - 2016

Blade Steel: AUS8A (1996 – 2000); bead-blasted 420 Sub Zero Quench (2001 - 2005); 4116 Krupp (2007); AUS 8A (2010 – 2016)

Safe Keeper I: 5" / 7 5/8"
Safe Keeper II: 3 3/4" / 6 3/8"
Safe Keeper III: 2 3/4" / 5"

Blade Markings: Unlike the Terminator/Defender, the Safe Keeper series has nothing on the handle. For models up to 2005, they have the SAFE KEEPER I, II, or III logo on one side, and the COLD STEEL logo over “Made in Japan” or “Made in Taiwan” on the other side. Not sure about the newer models, but I have seen pix online that show only “China” or “Taiwan” under the COLD STEEL logo.

uMb1pfYh.jpg
g2DkNFVh.jpg

Sheath: Kydex (1996 – 1998); Concealex (1999 - 2000); Secure-Ex (2001 - 2016). A lot of variation here. Some of the earlier sheaths had one side that was totally flat, while the other side had the blade “bulge” and belt clip. Others had the bulge on one side and the clip on the other.

T2XVnbv.jpg

====================================================================================================

Safe Maker Series:

The Safe Maker series consists of 2 models…I and II. Both are double-edged. The most distinguishing, and controversial characteristic, is the "chisel-ground" blade. The back of the blade is basically flat (slightly concave), while the front is ground down to the edge. The blood-groove from the Terminator/Defender I makes its return on the Safe Maker (but only on one side). Another nice feature is that the Kraton is extended partially down the neck so that it is more comfortable between the fingers.

PF98xbP.jpg

Period: 2006 - Present

Blade Steel: AUS 8A (2006 – 2014); VG-1 (2015 – 2016); AUS 8A with stone wash finish (2017)

Safe Maker I: 4 1/2" / 6 3/8"
Safe Maker II: 3 1/4" / 5"

I believe these blade lengths include part of the neck, making them seem longer than they really are.

Blade Markings: Mine have the SAFE MAKER I or II logo on one side, and the COLD STEEL logo and JAPAN on the other side in one line. I have seen some pix online that show the new COLD STEEL logo over “AUS 8A Taiwan”. Not sure when this changed.

R94W8oPh.jpg
IfyxsNJl.jpg

Sheath: Secure-Ex

XKauERt.jpg

Here is a comparison pic of a few CS push-daggers. From left to right: Terminator/Defender I, Safe Keeper II, Safe Maker I, and Safe Keeper I:

ukK3aMh.jpg

Can see that the blade lengths are basically the same on the Terminator/Defender, SK II, and SM I, but the neck length varies. Can also see how much larger the SK I is compared to the others.

Last edited:
Awesome thread! I was in high school when these originally came out, and wanted an Urban Skinner real bad. I found a new in box Safe Keeper 2 at a local gun show a few years ago, and it is one of my favorites. :thumbsup:

Cold Steel Drop Forged Push Fixed Blade Knife 4" Spear Point 52100 High Carbon Steel Blade and Handle

Perfect for tactical and law enforcement professionals, you can confidently conceal the Drop Forged Push Knife courtesy of its Secure-Ex sheath with adjustable tension and American-made Ulti-Clip.

The Drop Forged Push Knife, is arguably the strongest push knife on the market. The largest of the push knives in our catalog, it’s extremely sturdy and features razor-sharp double edges and a thick, wide, sturdy spear point. Perfect for tactical and law enforcement professionals, you can confidently conceal the Drop Forged Push Knife courtesy of its Secure-Ex sheath with adjustable tension and American-made Ulti-Clip.

Awesome thread, love my safe keeper 2. I also like those vintage leather sheaths with the clip on them.

Cool...that's the first time I've ever seen the Magnum Skinner name other than on the box label.

Sorry, I was away from the computer for a few days. The company was Parkway Distributors, Inc. I don't know if it exists anymore. Good luck with your search!

-Steve

Thank you very much for the info - did a quick search on the bay to see if any catalogs were for sale - No. Maybe I will get lucky some day - I like the old knife advertisements (info).

Thanks again

With the demise of the Cold Steel Forums, I am attempting to recreate the History threads that I had done over there. Hopefully this can be made a sticky.

My plan is to paste in all the text, and then populate the pics, so bear with me. Hoping to include more pics this time. Most of the pics are from knives I either own or bought and resold. Some of the pictures are not great, as the CS Forums site had size limits, and I wasn’t going to take all new pics…I may replace some here and there as I go.

I am also adding more detailed text descriptions of the markings, instead of just relying on the pix. That way if the pix are lost there is still something to go by.

The info presented is based on what I’ve learned over years of collecting and research. I can’t guarantee that it is all 100% complete and accurate, and I welcome any additional info and corrections.

Original Urban Series:

The oldest info I have is a magazine ad from 1982 and a catalog that I was told is from 1984. Both include the Urban Pal and Urban Skinner (the 1982 ad also shows the Urban Hunter and Urban Shiv).

epQ6fMrl.jpg
SS6diFZl.jpg

The original Urban Pal is all-steel with no handle material, while the original Urban Skinner has a Neoprene handle, which is smooth, unlike the later version that has the more familiar checkered Kraton handle. Both are single-edged. The Urban Skinner has a slot in the blade (there was actually an FAQ on the Cold Steel website about why they did this..."This is simply a design feature to add interest and to lighten the blade").

N5W1Xkjl.jpg
7H4Xgwsl.jpg

Period:

Urban Pal: Not exactly sure, but would say very early 80’s to late 80’s. It is not in the 1992 catalog. Instead, there is the Mini Pal.

Urban Skinner: Not exactly sure, but would say very early 80’s to mid 80’s. It is not in the 1988 catalog.

Blade Steel:

Urban Pal: listed as 440C in the 1982 ad and 1984 catalog. The 1988 catalog doesn’t say.

Urban Skinner: listed as Uddeholm stainless in the 1982 ad. The 1984 catalog doesn’t say.

Urban Pal: 1 3/4" / 3"

Urban Skinner: 3" / 5"

Markings:

Urban Pal: Seems to be a lot of variation. The 1982 ad and 1984 catalog seem to show it with the COLD STEEL logo arranged with COLD over STEEL. The ones I’ve seen have the COLD STEEL INC logo on one line, with “Ventura, Ca.” underneath. Some then also have “Made in Japan” under that, while others have it on the back. I also found pix online of what looks to be a very old version that just says “URBAN PAL” on the front, and “1578” on the back…no idea what the 1578 means. It also has the “scabbard” from the 1982 ad.

lSWJZsal.jpg
xzdsKlcl.jpg
M9iPlgXl.jpg
AU5Eoyal.jpg

Urban Skinner: Handle embossed with Cold Steel logo. The 1984 catalog also shows it with “URBAN SKINNER” on the blade above the slot, but the one I had did not have this.

rfgVR5Jl.jpg

Sheath:

Urban Pal: The 1982 ad shows it with 2 sheaths…a “card case” type and a “universal scabbard”. The 1984 catalog shows a fold-over type sheath with snap closure. Both are B&W, so not sure of the color, but all of the fold-over type sheaths I have seen have been brown leather. In the above pic that has the “scabbard” from the 1982 ad, it looks black.

YNYRWZQl.jpg
F7iY61Sl.jpg

Urban Skinner: Black leather with belt clip

nj8sgKbl.jpg
UPNOyayl.jpg

==============================================================================================

New Urban Skinner, Terminator, and Defender Series:

In the 1988 catalog, the Urban Skinner now has a checkered Kraton handle. There is also the Terminator, which is double-edged.

Nm7OZagl.jpg

At some point, they changed the names…the Terminator became the Defender I, and the Urban Skinner became the Defender II. As far as I know it was simply a name change...I don't believe the knives changed at all. My guess is that the name change was to be more politically correct.

68IaGRVl.jpg

Period: Not really sure of exact dates, but mid-late 80's until 1995. They are Terminator & Urban Skinner in the 1988 catalog, and then they are the Defender Series in the 1992 catalog. Not exactly sure when this changed.

Blade Steel: The 1988 catalog doesn’t say, but the 1992 and 1993/94 catalogs say "400 Series Stainless"…the 1995 catalog says AUS 8A. They may be the same steel.

Terminator/Defender I (double-edge): 3 3/4" / 6"

Urban Skinner/Defender II (single-edge): 2 3/4" / 4 3/4"

Markings: The blade is marked “Made in Japan” on one side. The Kraton handle is embossed with the COLD STEEL INC logo over “Ventura, Ca” one side, and “Made in Japan” on the other.

Xc69LNxl.jpg

Sheath: Black leather with steel belt clip

fbQDZ9Pl.jpg

Misc: A Defender I was used in the movie Platoon. One was also used in the movie Total Recall, when Sharon Stone and Arnold's girlfriend were fighting, right before Arnold kills Sharon Stone..."Consider that a divorce" LOL. I also have a Terminator with a box that is labeled “Magnum Skinner”, but you can tell that under the Magnum Skinner label is a Terminator label. And both labels have model #24, so it’s not just a mistake. Only thing I can think of is that before changing the name to Defender, maybe they were going to call it the Magnum Skinner, and actually had some labels made up. And maybe after deciding to go with Defender instead, a few made it out the door with the Magnum Skinner label by mistake.

s0WVkcCl.jpg

Hi jlauffer,

Thank you for such an excellent, organized post. I just joined the forum and would like to find out what happened to the cold steel safekeeper III. It is no longer available online, and I was looking to buy one or one of its predecessors (a US-made one would be great). I would very much like to carry a single-edge push knife of this quality and size. Could you let me know: (1) what happened to the safe keeper III; (2) where I could find one or one of its predecessors? Thanks.

The Safe Keepers were last seen in the 2016 catalog, so apparently they were discontinued. But that has happened before, and they came back, so could happen again. Can sometimes find them on eBay.

Many thanks to Jlauffer for all these threads. The mods should make a sub-forum, as many will revisit these.

I just re-read this great thread and realized that we didn't have any good photos of the original Urban Pal with its sheaths. I was able to trade for one last year (most gratefully), so now that can be rectified.

IMG-3313.jpg

IMG-3314.jpg

IMG-3315.jpg

IMG-3316.jpg

While the color of the universal scabbard looks darker than the card case, both are the same shade of brown. That's a Velcro patch sewn onto the back of the universal scabbard, with the loop side loose to sew onto whatever clothing you wish to attach it to.

The logo and "1078" (serial number?) are both stamped into the steel. As you can probably tell, the finish of the knife is line-grain and a bit unrefined. I strongly suspect that Lynn had these earliest models hand-made by a custom maker.

-Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Whip. Interesting that yours says 1078, and the one I posted says 1578.

Yes, originally I didn't catch the difference and thought that it might be an item number.

It also has the three-line logo as depicted in the original ads, which I thought was pretty cool.

-Steve

Back