History of Cold Steel Push-knives

Only info I have is from this magazine ad, circa 1982. It mentions "multiple carrying attachments", but not sure what that entailed. My sheath has a belt clip, but also a section of velcro (fuzzy half) on the back.
epQ6fMrl.jpg
wow pretty pricey for the times!!

What would this Defender 1 be worth?

This is the description I got. From what I've read in this thread they couldn't be from the mid 80's... would have to be the mid 90's.

"I have 3 early mid 80s cold steel push daggers. these are the collectible better quality made in japan models not later Taiwan.

1 brand new 12/I the Defender I with box paperwork and blank warranty card."

The other 2 he has are Defender II's.

What would this Defender 1 be worth?

This is the description I got. From what I've read in this thread they couldn't be from the mid 80's... would have to be the mid 90's.

"I have 3 early mid 80s cold steel push daggers. these are the collectible better quality made in japan models not later Taiwan.

1 brand new 12/I the Defender I with box paperwork and blank warranty card."

The other 2 he has are Defender II's.

From Bladeforums rules:

WHAT IS MY KNIFE / GADGET / SPATULA / TUNING FORK WORTH ?!?!?!?!

In order to curtail potential abuse of membership privileges associated with the forums, questions regarding valuation of knives and collections are limited to those with a membership level which permits selling on this site. Accordingly, registered and basic members may not start or post in threads with such requests whether with the intent to sell or for informational purposes only. This rule applies throughout the site

Any idea what year(s) the Safekeeper III was made in China? AUS8A Steel I believe.

Any idea what year(s) the Safekeeper III was made in China? AUS8A Steel I believe.

Most likely 2007...that seems to be the year they made a lot of stuff in China, but then switched to Taiwan shortly after.

Most likely 2007...that seems to be the year they made a lot of stuff in China, but then switched to Taiwan shortly after.
Cool a new rare one, until I read you mentioning in your history I was thinking it might be a fake. After thinking about it though, I remember some of the other CS knives had the same China Marking on them and I thought they were fake until I found out on here. The Taiwan Model seems to be of higher quality. Its weird that they changed the design from the Taiwan Model.IMG_2478.JPG IMG_2479.JPG IMG_2480.JPG

Nobody gonna put a pic of the drop forged push dagger to this thread? Looks like I shall do it. Here are pics of it with and without sheath via BladeHQ.

Cold-Steel-Drop-Forged-Push-Dagger-Tan-36ME-BHQ-80433-jr.jpg
Cold-Steel-Drop-Forged-Push-Dagger-Tan-36ME-BHQ-80433-jr-sheath.jpg

Specs:
4 inch blade, doubled edged, 6.75 inches overall.; 7.6 oz weight
One piece all steel construction, no handle material, made of 52100 steel with a sorta beige(?) colored coating.
Secure-Ex sheath

Thank you for this excellent overview. I had an Urban Pal back in the 1980s (when Lynn Thompson was skinny) and really wanted a Tanto as well, but could not afford on my college-student budget.

So a Terminator/Defender I just sold on the Bay for $590 :eek: No box or pamphlet, just knife and sheath

I wanted to add a couple of notes to this thread.

We haven't discussed them thus far, but since the topic is push knives, I'll mention the 1991 introduction of the Mini Pal.

IMG-5593.jpg

The Urban Pal was discontinued in 1990, presumably as the Mini Pal was under development to replace it.

I haven't been able to pinpoint when these were offered (I believe it was very early, though, perhaps mid-to-late-80s), but at one point Cold Steel offered these custom-made Kydex sheaths for the Urban Skinner and Magnum Skinner/Terminator.

IMG-5607.jpg

IMG-5604.jpg

IMG-5605.jpg

IMG-5612.jpg

They feature construction identical to the Ki Quick Draw sheath offered for the Tanto and were certainly produced by the same maker. (I suspect that maker was Tim Wegner, but I have yet to confirm it.) Once again, Cold Steel was way ahead of its time with the application of cutting-edge materials.

-Steve

Back