History of Cold Steel Tantos - Unauthorized and Probably Incomplete

http://www.bucorp.com

maybe this is the uddeholm they meant in the ad for that micarta-handled tanto?

(interestingly i could swear it says uddelholm with the "l" in the cold steel ad, which may be a typo)

anyway, then it would mean they were probably just listing the company that provided the steel and listing the fact that it was stainless, but not listing a specific type of stainless steel

no matter, this steel should be of high quality as this is the same company that gave us elmax and m390

just curious....where did you guys get your hands on those original tantos?! never even seen them before these pictures

Just posted the text for the Trail Master history...will add pix soon. Not sure I'll get to the Tai Pan, but there's not much mystery there...started around 1995 as AUS 8A, changed to San Mai III in 2007, and then changed again to 3V in 2015 as part of the Nightfall Series.

Pretty much sums it up. The only thing I would add is that (almost 100% certainly), when the Tai Pan switched to San Mai, it was the VG-1 variety only. I don't think there was ever a San Mai Tai Pan with an AUS-8A core.

http://www.bucorp.com

maybe this is the uddeholm they meant in the ad for that micarta-handled tanto?

anyway, then it would mean they were probably just listing the company that provided the steel and listing the fact that it was stainless, but not listing a specific type of stainless steel

That is the Uddeholm referenced in the ad. That company goes back a lot of years. And you're correct that Uddeholm refers to a steel manufacturer, not a specific type of steel. It's the equivalent of saying "Crucible stainless" or "Carpenter stainless."

(interestingly i could swear it says uddelholm with the "l" in the cold steel ad, which may be a typo)

Yep, the ad does misspell it "Uddelholm."

just curious....where did you guys get your hands on those original tantos?! never even seen them before these pictures

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rare-gems.1462691/

Look at post #49.

-Steve

With the demise of the Cold Steel Forums, I am attempting to recreate the History threads that I had done over there. First up is the Tantos. Hopefully this can be made into a sticky.

History of Cold Steel Tantos

This will focus on the “classic” CS Tantos, from the beginning until they discontinued the Made in Japan knives in about 2016. This will not include the 3V Nightfall Series Tantos or Taiwan San Mai Tantos, or other tanto models like the newer Recon Tanto, Kobun, and Oyabun.

My plan is to paste in all the text, and then populate the pics, so bear with me. Hoping to include more pics this time. Most of the pics are from knives I either own or bought and resold. Some of the pictures are not great, as the CS Forums site had size limits, and I wasn’t going to take all new pics…I may replace some here and there as I go.

I am also adding more detailed text descriptions of the markings, instead of just relying on the pix. That way if the pix are lost there is still something to go by. Please note that in some places I use the word “logo”, like COLD STEEL logo, or TANTO logo. This means they use the actual Cold Steel logo font, rather than a regular font. For everything else I use upper/lower case letters to indicate what the marking says, but the fonts and size may vary.

The info presented is based on what I’ve learned over years of collecting and research. I can’t guarantee that it is all 100% complete and accurate, and I welcome any additional info and corrections.

Can also check out this Hattori site with additional info on TM's and Tantos (thanks KenHash!): http://hattoricollector.com

====================================================================================================

First up is the Original Tanto from the early 80’s

Until recently, this was thought to be the CS equivalent of a unicorn. Sure, we had the magazine ad from the early 80’s that shows it (and a Mini version), along with the Urban Series, but no one had actually seen one. That all changed when forum member The Whip found and bought one at a show in April 2018 (and special thanks to The Whip for the photos).

epQ6fMrl.jpg

It has a pinned micarta handle and no guard.

Period: 1981 to 1983? Cold Steel started in 1981, and the 2006 catalog says it’s the 25th anniversary of the Tanto, so the 1981 start makes sense. But not sure when the design changed to the more familiar brass/Kraton version. I have a catalog that I was told is from 1984 (it is not marked) and it has the brass/Kraton version, so I am guessing this original version only lasted a few years.

Blade Steel: Uddeholm Stainless (don’t know anything about this, or what it is similar to)

Blade Length: 6" (Mini version is 3 1/2”)

Blade Markings: None

Sheath: Black leather “pouch” style with 2 sets of slits on the back to pass a belt through, allowing it to be carried at 2 different heights. No retention strap.

zQTlv4vl.jpg

X2BaRg9l.jpg

avhpMLLl.jpg

SQm8jlol.jpg

====================================================================================================

Tanto with Brass fittings - #13A

anMBcs4l.jpg

Period: 1984? – 1991. I have a catalog that I was told is from 1984 (it is not marked) and it has the brass/Kraton version, so they at least go back to 1984. This version lasted until 1991 and then the guard and pommel were changed from brass to stainless in 1992.

Blade Steel: Cold Steel’s "400 Series Stainless". There were also some regular Tantos with San Mai III blades, prior to being called Master Tantos. The markings were the same as the regular Tantos (#3 below), so the only indication is the lamination line.

Blade Length: 5 3/4" (this would change to 6" when they switched to stainless fittings)

Blade Markings: There are 4 versions that I know of:

1) Very early versions had a stamped marking on one side only (nothing on the other side):

TANTO logo
COLD STEEL, INC.
VENTURA, CA.

FmzdagIl.jpg

2) Same as #1 except it is etched instead of stamped (still nothing on other side)

3) Side 1:
TANTO logo
By Cold Steel,
Venture, Calif.

Side 2:
Made in Japan

o12NU9Ul.jpg

4) Side 1:
TANTO logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

HaPoCmUl.jpg

Sheath: Most are black leather with Velcro strap and 2 sets of slits on the back to pass a belt through, allowing it to be carried at 2 different heights. There may also be some later ones with a single belt loop, which was standard after the transition to the 6” version with stainless fittings. Both versions should be stamped JAPAN on the back. I also have one, and have seen a couple others, that have a wider retention strap…these are very rare. There were also some Kydex sheaths sold as accessories…see the Special Ops/Master Ops Tantos below for an example.

FjgSxVpl.jpg
kdYyFgnl.jpg

Misc: One special version of this Tanto was made for the cutlery company Hoffritz. It is identical to the standard Tanto except it also has the Hoffritz logo on the blade. Another special version was a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive with stainless fittings...it has its own post below. There is also a 10th Anniversary special version that is serial numbered, with Lynn’s signature on the blade, and includes CoA.

Hoffritz logo:
O0eTZYZl.jpg

10th Anniversary Tanto:
uv3NJMgl.jpg

lrEe1Kol.jpg

Original Recon Tanto with Brass fittings - #13R

w0SibIsl.jpg

I think most of us are familiar with the current style Recon Tanto, but few realize that before that version there was this one. It was basically just a regular Tanto, but with a non-reflective bead-blasted finish...not only the blade, but the guard and pommel too. However, the pommel was a “dome” shape rather than the normal “skull-crusher”.

Period: 1986? – 1987? I have a copy of National Knife Magazine from April 1987 that has an article about the CS Tanto, and includes the Recon Tanto. It was basically introduced as a lower cost alternative to the regular Tanto (the article mentions how the regular Tanto was $139.95 and the Recon Tanto was $89.95). Not sure how long they were produced, but they are not shown in the 1988 catalog. Another interesting tidbit from the article is that the Recon Tanto was only available from Matthews Cutlery in Decatur GA.

Blade Steel: Cold Steel’s "400 Series Stainless"

Blade Length: 5 3/4"

Blade Markings:

Side 1:
RECON TANTO logo
MADE IN USA

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
VENTURA, CA

GBAXhe2l.jpg

Sheath:
2 versions that I know of…1) typical black leather sheath with Velcro strap and 2 sets of slits…2) Cordura/nylon sheath that was also available with a shoulder harness.

QBiQp4El.jpg

Is the one The Whip has the oldest know production Tanto? And does anyone have pictures of any of the prototypes or any info on who ground them?

Is the one The Whip has the oldest know production Tanto?

Yes...and no. My knife is the oldest known Cold Steel Tanto. But it's not production. It's a hand-made prototype from circa 1980, one of only approximately six (don't know if that number also includes the Mini Tantos depicted in the ads).

Based on the information we have thus far, the earliest production Tantos (the ones with brass fittings) were those lacking a country-of-origin marking (first tang stamp pictured above in Mr. Lauffer's write-up about the model 13A). Reportedly, these were made by Buck.

And does anyone have pictures of any of the prototypes ?

Those guardless Tantos were the prototypes. The pictures in this subforum are the only ones that I know of.

Do you mean prototypes that resembled the 13A? I don't know if such a thing exists. Apparently Lynn Thompson knew what he wanted when he approached Buck with his design. Given their scarce quantities, maybe the Buck-made models were considered prototypes.

any info on who ground them?

Nope. Perhaps the next Forumite who runs into Lynn can ask him.

-Steve

About a year ago I was hanging out with Joe Cordova in his shop. In a pile of scrap and unfinished blades I saw a familiar shape and dug it out. I commented to Joe that the shape was very similar to the ColdSteel Tanto. Joe told me that it was a left over blade from when he had ground some blades for Lynn Thompson back in the late 70's. He was not sure if that blade had even been heat treated so he put it in the tester and it was 60Rc. I asked if he had plans to finish the knife and he said he had no plans and had forgot the blade was still around and asked if I would like to have it. Of course I gladly excepted with much thanks. At the time all I knew was that I had a Tanto blade ground by Joe in 154cm steel. My plan was to grind the minor pitting from the sides of the blade and add a guard and handle. I did some light grinding on it before I read this history post. I asked Joe if he would mind and if he thought Lynn would mind if I shared this story and he said he thought it would be OK. So my question is, How do I post pictures?

About a year ago I was hanging out with Joe Cordova in his shop. In a pile of scrap and unfinished blades I saw a familiar shape and dug it out. I commented to Joe that the shape was very similar to the ColdSteel Tanto. Joe told me that it was a left over blade from when he had ground some blades for Lynn Thompson back in the late 70's. He was not sure if that blade had even been heat treated so he put it in the tester and it was 60Rc. I asked if he had plans to finish the knife and he said he had no plans and had forgot the blade was still around and asked if I would like to have it. Of course I gladly excepted with much thanks. At the time all I knew was that I had a Tanto blade ground by Joe in 154cm steel. My plan was to grind the minor pitting from the sides of the blade and add a guard and handle. I did some light grinding on it before I read this history post. I asked Joe if he would mind and if he thought Lynn would mind if I shared this story and he said he thought it would be OK. So my question is, How do I post pictures?
You've got to use a hosting site like postimages.org .

Wow, this is landmark information! Thank you for sharing this! I definitely would like to see that unfinished knife. If you can't get the photo thing figured out, please let me know. You can e-mail the pictures to me and I can post them for you.

Excellent post! This is a very well put together, researched post which is extremely educational to anyone interested in the history of the Cold Steel Tanto. Thank you for your efforts!

I agree completely, CS! Would you please consider making this a "sticky" (along with ALL of Mr. Lauffer's histories, and perhaps my Rare Gems thread, too)? He's put so much effort into them and I hate seeing his incredibly informative work getting buried over time. Apparently, only the moderator can make a thread a sticky.

-Steve

Wow, this is landmark information! Thank you for sharing this! I definitely would like to see that unfinished knife. If you can't get the photo thing figured out, please let me know. You can e-mail the pictures to me and I can post them for you.

I agree completely, CS! Would you please consider making this a "sticky" (along with ALL of Mr. Lauffer's histories, and perhaps my Rare Gems thread, too)? He's put so much effort into them and I hate seeing his incredibly informative work getting buried over time. Apparently, only the moderator can make a thread a sticky.

-Steve
It's now a sticky! :)

Incredible. Glad its now a sticky. Not to mention the updates and new information added since the orginal thread from the Cold Steel Manufactures forum went down at the end of 2017. Guess I can delete the link to the orginal archived thread from my favorites now.

Back