History of Cold Steel Tantos - Unauthorized and Probably Incomplete

I was able to spend some time with Joe Cordova this past week. I ask him how many tanto blades he had ground for Lynn Thompson and what else he knew about the Cold Steel Tantos. Joe said he thought he had ground about a dozen blades. These were sent to Lynn without handles because Cold Steel was going to add their brass fittings and the Kraton handles. Joe said that these were the knives Lynn was taking to Japan to have produced. Joe also told me that he did not do the pinned handled ones and did not recall who did. He did happen to find the Kraton handle that he was sent to test fit on the tangs he ground. And being the generous person that he is, he gave me that handle. No fittings though. But, I must say that going on a scavenger hunt in a decades old knife shop was a thrill.

riplakish9 passed along photos of the handle blank that Cold Steel sent to Joe Cordova to test for fit on his prototype Tanto blades. (I apologize for the delay in getting these posted. Imgur's new mandatory use of its app for photo hosting has driven me nuts!)

OoTbjsX.jpg

LQPqWwP.jpg

It's interesting to me that the handle blank is already finished to its final production shape. That means that the guard and pommel designs were already finalized, as well.

-Steve

In looking more closely at this old ad, I noticed that the Tanto pictured possesses no blade markings. The pommel point looks slightly more acute than those on production models, too. Is this possibly one of Joe Cordova's prototypes in its completed form?

gWNaZ48.jpg

-Steve

In looking more closely at this old ad, I noticed that the Tanto pictured possesses no blade markings. The pommel point looks slightly more acute than those on production models, too. Is this possibly one of Joe Cordova's prototypes in its completed form?

gWNaZ48.jpg

-Steve

definitely think you might be onto something but i personally have never come across a sterile tanto with brass fittings. fwiw, up until a month ago the only tanto i haven't seen (in person or otherwise) was the guardless one with the black handle that appears in the earliest of cold steel's ads

Not counting the unicorn that Whip found, haven't ever seen a sterile one, but the very early ones only had markings on one side. If the one in the ad were one of those, then theoretically you should see markings on the one in the guy's hand, but not on the other one since it is showing the other side. But looking at it closer, the ricasso looks shorter than the regular production versions...don't think the markings would even fit in that space. It actually looks very similar to the pics of the blank from Cordova, so think it's a good bet. But why doesn't the blank have the threaded end for the pommel?

Not counting the unicorn that Whip found, haven't ever seen a sterile one, but the very early ones only had markings on one side. If the one in the ad were one of those, then theoretically you should see markings on the one in the guy's hand, but not on the other one since it is showing the other side. But looking at it closer, the ricasso looks shorter than the regular production versions...don't think the markings would even fit in that space. It actually looks very similar to the pics of the blank from Cordova, so think it's a good bet. But why doesn't the blank have the threaded end for the pommel?

I was actually wondering the same thing. But I think I discovered the answer. Coincidentally, Blade magazine (believe it or not!) just yesterday posted this throw-back Cold Steel ad from the Jan./Feb. 1985 issue. Take note of item H.

IMG-4448.jpg

The threaded pommel studs were welded onto the tang, not machined out of the stock. I'm guessing they were added when the brass fittings and grip were mounted, which occurred elsewhere after Mr. Cordova supplied the blade blanks.

-Steve

Last edited:
Can't see the pic, but the 1988 catalog also mentions the stud being welded to the tang. It also shows "lightening holes", but the ones I have seen don't have these.

Yeah, I have no idea why the photo isn't showing. I'm doing the exact same thing I do with every picture I post (as well as trying some alternate methods), but it won't work. I love how technology makes my life so much easier....

The model in the ad I'm talking about also includes lightening holes. You can see the original here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqA_-86Bb9k/

-Steve

Are you saying if the blade says japJa and not "made in Japan" it is fake?

Magnum Tanto II - #13MII (regular) & #13MBII (SMIII)

E34TvKPl.jpg

The Magnum Tanto II replaced the Magnum Tanto in 1990. Along with the blade length difference, the other main difference is that it no longer has the raised spine.

Period: 1990 - 2015

Blade Steel: Cold Steel’s “400 Series Stainless” (1990 – 1994) and San Mai III (1992? - 2015). Not exactly sure when they started offering it in San Mai III…the 1990 flyer only mentions 400 Series Stainless, while the 1992 catalog has both 400 Series Stainless and San Mai III versions.

Blade Length: 7 1/2"

Blade Markings: There are 3 versions that I know of:

1) Side 1:
MAGNUM TANTO II logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL, INC (in plain block print, not logo font).
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

2) Side 1:
MAGNUM TANTO II logo
SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL, INC (in plain block print, not logo font).
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

lZMrYyHl.jpg

3) Side 1:
MAGNUM TANTO II logo
VG-1 SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

1qn7gAxl.jpg

Sheath:
According to the 1990 flyer, it originally had a black Cordura/nylon sheath. At some point this changed to black leather with a snap strap (not Velcro). Not exactly sure then this happened, but the 1992 Special Projects catalog I have shows the leather sheath, so looks like the Cordura sheath only lasted a year or two.

5rSIlypl.jpg

Misc: Seems to be a lot of fake Magnum Tanto II/IX/XII’s out there. There are a few things to look out for…1) No lamination line on knives marked as San Mai III…2) I see many that just say “JAPAN” instead of “MADE IN JAPAN”…3) Bad fit/finish, such as rounded corners, gaps, etc…4) Leather sheath with Velcro strap instead of snap. Velcro was only used on the original Magnum Tanto sheath back in the 80’s…5) Many fakes come with plastic sheaths. This used to be an obvious red flag, as the Magnums always came with leather sheaths. But the waters have been muddied with the introduction of the 3V Nightfall Series Tantos (2015) and Taiwan San Mai III Tantos (2018), which come with plastic sheaths.

====================================================================================================

Magnum Tanto IX and XII - #13MBIX & #13MBXII

There isn't much mystery to these guys. They are just longer versions of the Magnum Tanto II, available in 9" (IX) and 12" (XII) blades, and as far as I know they have always been San Mai III steel exclusively. They came with black leather sheaths, with snap straps (not Velcro). They first appeared in the 1998 catalog, and were last seen in the 2011 catalog.

====================================================================================================

Mini Tanto with Stainless fittings - #13ASG

LWeVWwrl.jpg

Strangely, when the Tanto, Master Tanto, and Mini Tanto got updated with stainless fittings for 1992, only the Mini Tanto received a full oval guard like the Magnum Tantos. Also, the jimping that was on the brass version was removed.

Period: 1992 - 2000

Blade Steel: AUS 8A Stainless

Blade Length: 4 1/4"

Blade Markings:

Side 1: MiNi TANTO logo

Side 2: COLD STEEL logo
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

t7QVTjTl.jpg

Sheath: Black leather with Velcro strap and metal belt clip.

qN31I8gl.jpg

Just Japan and not "made in Japan" means its fake?????

As far as I know, all of the Magnums say Made in Japan, so if it just says Japan, chances are it is a fake, and will most likely have other red flags. That said, I have seen one example of a genuine Master Tanto that only said Japan.

Quick question.

The Recon Tanto #13R : although cheaper, aside from the pommel and the beaded finish, what’s the difference?

Is the thickness of the blade different?

Quick question.

The Recon Tanto #13R : although cheaper, aside from the pommel and the beaded finish, what’s the difference?

Is the thickness of the blade different?

Blade thickness is the same. Only differences I know of are the pommel and bead-blasted finish, and labeled as Made in USA instead of Japan. At that time, they were using their generic "400 Series Stainless", so it is possible that the steel may be slightly different from the regular Tantos of the time as part of the cost reduction, but I have not seen any evidence to support that.

Since the auction is over, I think we're safe in posting a photo of the unusual tang stamp here for its historical significance.

IMG-4523.jpg

-Steve

What a great read, happy i found this thread thanks to the poster.

I recently ordered myself a Magnum Tanto XII San Mai with VG10. :D

Doing some research lately, I discovered new details about the Tanto history that I thought I'd add to the thread.

First, from a recently acquired 1991 catalog, here are the descriptions of the 10th Anniversary Tanto and the Imperial Tanto. Note the production quantities, and that each included the wooden display stand.

IMG-5570.jpg

IMG-5572.jpg

IMG-5571.jpg

Next, I learned that 1990 was the last year of the brass-guarded Mini Tanto and 1991 saw the introduction of the Mini Tanto with the stainless tsuba. Note the absence of blade markings on the model in the photo (presumably a prototype?).

IMG-5594.jpg

Finally, I re-discovered that in the late 1980s/early 1990s, Cutlery Shoppe offered its own custom-made (by Blackie Collins!) Cordura sheaths that fit various knives it sold. One of these was made specifically for the Cold Steel Tanto.

IMG-5561.jpg

The Fastex slot at the base of the sheath was designed to permit its use with the Cutlery Shoppe concealable shoulder harness system.

IMG-5559.jpg

Here are a few photos of the Cutlery Shoppe sheath.

IMG-5596.jpg

IMG-5600.jpg

IMG-5595.jpg

-Steve

Back