History of Cold Steel Tantos - Unauthorized and Probably Incomplete

CS_13QMBXII_1200x.jpg
I'm thinking of taking a "knife fighting" class that favors "bowie" style knives however I am seriously considering showing up with a bigger Tanto just because I have so much more time (years) with Tanto blades and being an "old fart" (70 years old) that can't keep up with the young studs that make up the majority of the class anyway; why not be be different. Maybe like a Cold Steel 3V Magnum Tanto IX or XII with an all black blade. I'm an ex-defensive football tackle 6' 5" and 300 lbs. with long arms.:)

Any opinion?

I prefer the 9" version. Carry my San Mai IX(japan)(love that shiny blade with the demarcation line) all the time. Grew up with the Alamo but prefer the tanto as well. That black beast above is a wicked looking one and I think a good choice for concealment(no shiny areas). Bowie's(have a couple) are cool too and IMHO don't look as threatening as the IX etc., but there is just something that clicks in me when I see the tanto's. Could be old age too.

any idea on what a mini tanto's worth is? I have one that looks to be barely used, couple dings on the sheath, but that's it.

It's this version:

2) Side 1:
MiNi TANTO logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

any idea on what a mini tanto's worth is? I have one that looks to be barely used, couple dings on the sheath, but that's it.

It's this version:

2) Side 1:
MiNi TANTO logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
VENTURA, CALIF
MADE IN JAPAN

Sorry, but need to have a Gold membership or higher to discuss values on BF. Can search the Exchange here, or the Sold listings on ebay (under Advanced) to get an idea. Also, there are 2 versions of the Mini Tanto...one with brass fittings and single guard, and one with stainless fittings and oval "tsuba" guard.

Back in the late 1980's and early 90's I owned a boat load of the CS Tantos in every size and variation and sold a ton of them of them as well as Trailmasters. This Master Tanto has been customized by myself, with an Appleseed grind and thumb grooves on the spine and it is the only CS Tanto I still own. It is a keeper and will cut a phonebook in half almost as well as my Rockstead Kon.

i-TFSwBpR-XL.jpg

There is actually one other CS Tanto that I have. It is made from a blade out of a CS Shinobu Folder that the lock broke on. I took the blade and made this handle from Cocobolo and the sheath from Oak.

i-5PQgphb-XL.jpg

i-spnBR8C-XL.jpg

I already posted this in my Old Cold Steel Ads thread. But as it establishes some hard dates for the introduction of the Mini and Magnum Tantos, I thought I'd include it here for the historical significance.

IMG-8256.jpg

I just recently found this ad in a 1987 issue of Soldier of Fortune. I've never seen it elsewhere. Not only is it significant due to its unveiling of the Recon Tanto, but it's made even more interesting by the fact that it describes the design features of the new Recon model, but doesn't actually depict one! It's purely a guess, but I suspect that they either hadn't finalized the design or didn't have a prototype to photograph before the ad ran, or both.

IMG-8418.jpg

One other item of note: In doing some research of old materials lately, I discovered the identity of the custom knife maker who crafted the first guardless Tanto prototypes for Lynn around 1980. It was Jim Merritt. According to the article, he also made the first Urban Pals and Urban Skinners.

-Steve

I ran across an eBay auction awhile ago that drew my attention. It was for the handleless Master Tanto shown below. The reason I include it here is because it's interesting to note that the tang is skeletonized, as shown in the Tanto ad that ran in Blade back in 1985.

IMG-8458.jpg

IMG-8459.jpg

IMG-8460.jpg

IMG-8461.jpg

IMG-8462.jpg

IMG-8463.jpg

IMG-8464.jpg

As you can see, the knife is the unlabeled Master Tanto, bearing the Tanto marking but possessing the San Mai blade. So, apparently, at least some of those models had the skeletonized tang featured in the ad.

I received this amazing mystery Tanto for Christmas this year. It's what I believe to be one of the original Buck-manufactured 13A Tantos, but with most unusual blackened hardware.

IMG-8558.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

IMG-8560.jpg

IMG-8561.jpg

IMG-8562.jpg

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8564.jpg

IMG-8565.jpg

IMG-8566.jpg

The knife came out of an estate sale and was listed among several other early Cold Steel models, including another Buck-made 13A with the typical polished brass guard and pommel. So I believe that it's genuine and original, despite its being the only one I've ever seen.

I sent an inquiry to Lynn Thompson this past summer, asking about this Tanto. Knowing that he has previously answered other people's queries regarding unusual Cold Steel models, I had hopes that he might shed some light on the knife's history. I still haven't heard back and my hopes are dwindling rapidly....

-Steve

Thanks Jlauffer for the Cold Steel History. I am in UK and have a Recon Tanto from around 1986/7 with the bead blasted blade and domed brass pommel. The leather sheath has two sets of belt slots.

Just responding to where was mentioned that the Recon Tanto was only available from one shop in GA. I purchased mine at largest pistol competition held yearly at the end of May each year at the Bisley Ranges, just outside London UK. It too had marketing demonstrations where a car door was punctured and cut before demonstrating how sharp the knife still was.

Unfortunately my knife is not a collectors knife and was owned in military service, hence the digits of my serial number marked into back of sheath, plus has been part of my tool kit in use for 30+years including a few nicks and small dents on the spine where the knife was hammered thru some wood at some time or other. I can imagine collectors wincing at the thought.

Hi,
Do you know if each of the 1982 SOF magazines has this ad ? or was this ad in only certain months ?
Thank you

Starting from 1981 there are small black & white ads for the Urban Pal and Urban Skinner and they appear in several 1982 issues. But the Tanto ad posted above appears only in the December issue for 1982. And it's the first full page color Cold Steel ad in SOF.

Starting from 1981 there are small black & white ads for the Urban Pal and Urban Skinner and they appear in several 1982 issues. But the Tanto ad posted above appears only in the December issue for 1982. And it's the first full page color Cold Steel ad in SOF.

Thank you for the detailed answer. Have always loved that ad. I have some of the smaller B&W ads already. I may get this one - would look cool framed !

I ran across an eBay auction awhile ago that drew my attention. It was for the handleless Master Tanto shown below. The reason I include it here is because it's interesting to note that the tang is skeletonized, as shown in the Tanto ad that ran in Blade back in 1985.

IMG-8458.jpg

IMG-8459.jpg

IMG-8460.jpg

IMG-8461.jpg

IMG-8462.jpg

IMG-8463.jpg

IMG-8464.jpg

As you can see, the knife is the unlabeled Master Tanto, bearing the Tanto marking but possessing the San Mai blade. So, apparently, at least some of those models had the skeletonized tang featured in the ad.

I received this amazing mystery Tanto for Christmas this year. It's what I believe to be one of the original Buck-manufactured 13A Tantos, but with most unusual blackened hardware.

IMG-8558.jpg

IMG-8559.jpg

IMG-8560.jpg

IMG-8561.jpg

IMG-8562.jpg

IMG-8563.jpg

IMG-8564.jpg

IMG-8565.jpg

IMG-8566.jpg

The knife came out of an estate sale and was listed among several other early Cold Steel models, including another Buck-made 13A with the typical polished brass guard and pommel. So I believe that it's genuine and original, despite its being the only one I've ever seen.

I sent an inquiry to Lynn Thompson this past summer, asking about this Tanto. Knowing that he has previously answered other people's queries regarding unusual Cold Steel models, I had hopes that he might shed some light on the knife's history. I still haven't heard back and my hopes are dwindling rapidly....

-Steve

I can remember a review in a UK magazine back in the mid 80's on the Master Tanto, the knife had the skeletonised tang. The reviewer deliberately tested it to destruction, the point broke off, after much abuse, the knife eventually broke into 2 pieces at the first hole in the tang, but it took awful abuse to do it.

Good ol' YouTube helps again! You've got a good memory, nighthawk86, but I don't think it's the Recon Tanto that you're recalling. These screen shots are pretty poor, but it looks like a regular Tanto to me.

IMG-6469.jpg

IMG-6470.jpg

IMG-6471.jpg

IMG-6472.jpg

Good ol' YouTube helps again! You've got a good memory, nighthawk86, but I don't think it's the Recon Tanto that you're recalling. These screen shots are pretty poor, but it looks like a regular Tanto to me.

IMG-6469.jpg

IMG-6470.jpg

IMG-6471.jpg

IMG-6472.jpg

-Steve
I didn't realize so much time had passed since I last posted on this thread, but I recently discovered a couple Tour of Duty clips that show the Tanto used by Sgt. Block (Michael Madsen). One is called Block Party, the other is called Little Toy Chopper. In the 1st clip, the Tanto first appears at about 1:55 and for some time afterward. In the 2nd clip, it appears starting at about 11 seconds and for a short time after.

Enjoy.

I found my childhood knife collection and searched all over for info on my CS Mini Tanto but couldn't find any information. This page had it! It's the Mini Tanto with Stainless fittings - #13ASG. Thanks so much!

I see you posted about the regular Magnum in cordura... nevermind.

This is my old original Tanto from 1984 with a separate (broken since 2009) kydex sheath from the same year 1984 that didn't come with it, but was a promotional dealer's sample from the same time frame. It's not my oldest knife, but I've used it the most overall through the decades up to 2009 when it was retired after the belt loop on the sheath broke. Favorite knife of all time overall. Thanks for putting out this history thread on it/them.

7lEF6xr.jpg

C6mHQFM.jpg

11FZZLM.jpg

a1ESx01.jpg

kx3i1bF.jpg

AVNGfKu.jpg

This is my old original Tanto from 1984 with a separate (broken since 2009) kydex sheath from the same year 1984 that didn't come with it, but was a promotional dealer's sample from the same time frame. It's not my oldest knife, but I've used it the most overall through the decades up to 2009 when it was retired after the belt loop on the sheath broke. Favorite knife of all time overall. Thanks for putting out this history thread on it/them.

7lEF6xr.jpg

C6mHQFM.jpg

11FZZLM.jpg

a1ESx01.jpg

kx3i1bF.jpg

AVNGfKu.jpg
Have seen so many of those sheaths with the clip missing over the years. It's too bad it wasn't attached in a better way.

Back