History of Cold Steel Trail Masters (and Recon Scout)

With the demise of the Cold Steel Forums, I am attempting to recreate the History threads that I had done over there. Hopefully this can be made a sticky.

History of Cold Steel Trail Masters (and Recon Scout)

This will focus on the older Trail Masters made in USA and Japan, rather than the newer ones made in China and Taiwan. Along with the archived catalogs, I also have two articles about the TM from National Knife Magazine, from May and September 1988 issues.

The May 1988 article ends the debate on whether the V in Carbon V is for Five or Vee: “At the heart of the new Bowie is a special steel, called Carbon V. By the way, that’s Carbon Five, not Carbon Vee, according to Cold Steel’s Patrick Frank.”

My plan is to paste in all the text, and then populate the pics, so bear with me. Hoping to include more pics this time. Most of the pics are from knives I either own or bought and resold. Some of the pictures are not great, as the CS Forums site had size limits, and I wasn’t going to take all new pics…I may replace some here and there as I go.

I am also adding more detailed text descriptions of the markings, instead of just relying on the pix. That way if the pix are lost there is still something to go by.

The info presented is based on what I’ve learned over years of collecting and research. I can’t guarantee that it is all 100% complete and accurate, and I welcome any additional info and corrections.

Can also check out this Hattori site with additional info on TM's and Tantos (thanks KenHash!): http://hattoricollector.com

Before getting to the different models, here is some info that is common to all TMs:

Blade Length: 9 1/2"

Blade Thickness: 5/16"

All carbon TMs (Carbon V, SK-5, O-1) have brass guards and lanyard holes, even the guard on the black epoxy-coated version was brass underneath. All stainless TMs (AUS 6A and SMIII) have stainless guards and lanyard holes.
Also, there are basically 2 blade designs, with the difference being the ricasso/choil. The original, or Gen 1, has the little “nub” sticking out, and the markings are on the ricasso. The Gen 2 design is “cleaner”, and the markings were moved up near the blade spine (they later came back to the ricasso on knives made in China and Taiwan).

EwGlT8Yl.jpg

====================================================================================================

Carbon V Trail Master with satin blade and brass guard - #16 & #16C

MzqEtgFl.jpg
suqLFxel.jpg

The Gen 1 model # is 16, and the Gen 2 model # is 16C. But I have seen Gen 2’s with boxes that just say 16, so maybe they were just using up stock of old boxes.

Period:

Gen 1: 1987/88? – 1991? One of the TM articles mentions that the TM prototypes were first shown at the SHOT show in 1987, so it follows that they were possibly released later in 1987, or in 1988. But it is not in the 1988 catalog, so maybe later in 1988? Also not sure when this version was discontinued. In the 1992 Special Projects catalog I have, it says they were temporarily discontinued due to the loss of “some key craftsman…” Yet the same catalog has the Recon Scout and Flight of the Intruder TM, so not sure what the issue was.

Gen 2: 1993 - 2001

Blade Steel: Carbon V; both 1988 TM articles mention the convex edge, so it seems that the Gen 1’s at least started out that way, but I have also seen ones with regular V-edges. As far as I know, all Gen 2’s have a regular V-edge.

Blade Markings: There are 3 versions that I know of:

1) Gen 1:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
COLD STEEL
VENTURA, CA

Side 2:
CARBON V
MADE IN USA

Bxfld9Sl.jpg

2) Gen 2:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
CARBON V STEEL

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
CARBON V MADE IN U.S.A.

pcwOU2tl.jpg

3) Gen 2:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
CARBON V STEEL

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN THE USA

CXpS8oul.jpg

Sheath:

Gen 1: Black leather. Early ones have the strap that goes around the handle, while later ones may have the strap that goes over the guard.

Gen 2: Black Cordura/nylon (1993 - 1998) or Black leather (1999 – 2001)

==============================================================================================

Made in Japan Carbon V Trail Master with satin blade and brass guard - #16C

Had heard rumors of these, but wasn’t sure if they actually existed until I found one on eBay, and luckily won it. Have only seen a few over the years since, so they are pretty rare.

FvBYfw3l.jpg

Period: Not really sure, but maybe early 90’s? With the temporary discontinuation of the TM announced in the 1992 catalog, maybe this was an attempt to keep things going until they could be produced in the US again?

Blade Steel: Carbon V; mine has the convex edge (not sure if they all do)

Blade Markings:

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
CARBON V STEEL

Side 2:
COLD STEEL, VENTURA, CA
MADE IN SEKI CITY, JAPAN

e4xlU29l.jpg

This is the only Cold Steel marking I know of that says Seki City instead of just Seki.

Sheath:
Mine has the black Cordura/nylon

I am looking at your "3 blade markings", and mine does not appear to be any of those. Does that mean something?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xNV_fKSfbqSNEUBhWvh9b3UDOOJTDoKB

Look under the Stainless TM #16JS...yours is a Gen 1 model
How can someone who inherits a knife like this know if it's "new" or has been sharpened? Is there something that gives it away if it has been sharpened? What do I look for?

How can someone who inherits a knife like this know if it's "new" or has been sharpened? Is there something that gives it away if it has been sharpened? What do I look for?

All of the knives you've shown us are new. There's no wear on the blades, handles, or sheaths, and the blade edges don't contain characteristic scratches associated with resharpening.

-Steve

The trail master you have there also has a full convex grind like all the other Japanese trail masters. without getting too technical, it basically just wouldn't look that clean if it were not unused. so like the others have said, you can rest assured it is new

Last edited:
Some additional information about the Intruder Bowie from a 1991 Special Projects catalog.

IMG-5573.jpg

IMG-5576.jpg

IMG-5578.jpg

I think it's very cool that John Milius worked with Lynn on the design! I know that Milius is also a weapons aficionado, so I'm guessing that it made for some fascinating brainstorming sessions.

-Steve

Last edited:
This may start up some controversy, but as someone who only owns the 01 version right now, and who has tried to replace it with other big knives, but just hasn't found one I like better yet. Considering I like this knife design, but have no sentimental ties to my current 01 version, and without getting into collectible territory, strictly as an outdoor tool use...........Which one is best.

P.S. I take care of blades, I enjoy that, so I don't need stainless.

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of conversions on Trailmasters, putting micarta handle on them for guys. I did a lot of different designs and shapes depending on what someone wanted I think I still have a couple of TM blades laying around along with an old SOG Tigershark that will get a micarta handle as well. I also have at least one Flight of the Intruder Bowie that was kind of the inspiration for doing these conversions in the first place. Back in the mid 1980's I used to buy TM's brand new for $90 and put a micarta handle on them and sell the conversions for about $200. They really are great knives, I have used them in the field quite a bit.

Here is the only TM Flight of the intruder that I have left. I bought it used and so I was not afraid to take it out and use it. The earlier ones like this serial number 058 had a more glossy gun blue like finish but the later models had more of a thick painted type of finish. The original sheath (which I still have) was pretty trashed so I had the Peloza bros make me this model. The Peloza sheath is far better than the original.

Last edited:
I came across what looks like an old Recon Scout, but it has some differences. It is either a very unusual limited release, or it is a fake. I haven't bought it yet.
So the tang stamp has "Cold Steel" on one side, and two lines on the other side, "Carbon V" on top and something like "Made in USA" on the other. There is no mention of the model anywhere. It is in very good shape with no worn down areas.
It does look a lot like an old 90's Carbon V Recon Scout with a black guard and black blade with a clip point.
The blade is just a hair under 7.5 inches.
The blade is a full flat ground, not convex and not hollow.
The differences :
1. The clip point on all the RS's I've seen are straight or nearly straight. This one is a notably curved/concave clip point more like a Buck knife might have.
2. The clip point has a much stronger and longer swedge than any of the pictures I've seen.
The left side is sort of toothy with thin vertical lines machined in. The right side is smooth.
3. The handle has a notable palm swell. Thicker in the middle - in height and thickness.
Otherwise the handle material looks just like the TM and RS pictures.
4. The blade does not look at all like a fat 5/16 thick. I've got a quite a few knives in 4-5mm thickness, and it looks like them.
Rough guess is that it is 4.5mm or 3/16.
5. It does have a nice quarter circle style choil/ricasso which is a little larger radius than most of the RS and TM pix.
6. The sheath that is with it is possibly not the original, but looks much like one of the TM leather sheaths with just a handle snap loop and no angled retention strap - much like photo near the top of page 1 of this thread called
"Carbon V Trail Master with satin blade and brass guard - #16 & #16C". It is about an inch longer than the blade needs.
The leather has some age to it, like it was from the 90's.

So do you think this is a fake, or am I missing it on the model entirely? Like an old model similar to a RS with a thinner blade?

I came across what looks like an old Recon Scout, but it has some differences. It is either a very unusual limited release, or it is a fake. I haven't bought it yet.
So the tang stamp has "Cold Steel" on one side, and two lines on the other side, "Carbon V" on top and something like "Made in USA" on the other. There is no mention of the model anywhere. It is in very good shape with no worn down areas.
It does look a lot like an old 90's Carbon V Recon Scout with a black guard and black blade with a clip point.
The blade is just a hair under 7.5 inches.
The blade is a full flat ground, not convex and not hollow.
The differences :
1. The clip point on all the RS's I've seen are straight or nearly straight. This one is a notably curved/concave clip point more like a Buck knife might have.
2. The clip point has a much stronger and longer swedge than any of the pictures I've seen.
The left side is sort of toothy with thin vertical lines machined in. The right side is smooth.
3. The handle has a notable palm swell. Thicker in the middle - in height and thickness.
Otherwise the handle material looks just like the TM and RS pictures.
4. The blade does not look at all like a fat 5/16 thick. I've got a quite a few knives in 4-5mm thickness, and it looks like them.
Rough guess is that it is 4.5mm or 3/16.
5. It does have a nice quarter circle style choil/ricasso which is a little larger radius than most of the RS and TM pix.
6. The sheath that is with it is possibly not the original, but looks much like one of the TM leather sheaths with just a handle snap loop and no angled retention strap - much like photo near the top of page 1 of this thread called
"Carbon V Trail Master with satin blade and brass guard - #16 & #16C". It is about an inch longer than the blade needs.
The leather has some age to it, like it was from the 90's.

So do you think this is a fake, or am I missing it on the model entirely? Like an old model similar to a RS with a thinner blade?

Sounds like a Bush Ranger. Does it look like this?

baf15fde-e701-58a1-afa7-731bb2cb8018__63293.1528944813.jpg

You nailed it. Thank you so much. The sheath is different (newer?), but the knife is spot on.
I gather they don't make it anymore, since they are re-using the name for a folding knife.
Now I need to figure out if they are asking a fair price.

Many years since I picked up this knife and I still have the Flight of the Intruder Bowie. I think I bought this in the mid 1990's. It is a keeper!

Last edited:
On the 16CB model, the black coated one, what material is the guard made of under the coating?

TRAIL MASTER (CPM 3V) | Cold Steel Knives
"I can’t think of a better knife to take on an outdoors adventure than a Trail Master. Now available in 3V steel it’s more indestructible than ever. Featuring a 9 ½” long clip point blade with an uncharacteristically strong sturdy point it will shrug off wear, tear and even abuse, like water off a duck’s back. What’s more you will be astounded by the cutting power and edge retention you’ll get with 3v steel. Buy it while you can, 3V blades are difficult and time consuming, not to mention expensive to make!" - Lynn Thompson

Although this is the most current Trail Master video from Cold Steel Iron Proof- (2018), it still has historical significance in that Lynn Thompson describes the origins of the knife. He mentions having drawn the Trail Master design on a place mat at the Pierpont Inn some time during the mid 80's. He also credits custom knife maker Joe Cordova for having made the first 2 prototypes which he further "twitched".

There is no mention of Dan Maragni, who was employed by Cold Steel for 25 years, and was involved in all phases of knife design and manufacturing. Maybe his years of service with Cold Steel began after the Trail Master was already in production.

If anybody has more information I would be interested in reading about it.
Carbon V Trail Master with black epoxy-coated blade/guard - #16CB

nX36ykgl.jpg

Period: 2002 - 2006

Blade Steel: Carbon V

Blade Markings (stamped):

Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL USA

p2FS4JBl.jpg

Sheath: Black leather, with strap that goes over guard

==================================================================================

San Mai III Trail Master - #16JSM

O1CDQSYl.jpg

Period: 1998 - 2005 (San Mai III); 2006 – Present (VG-1 San Mai III)

Blade Steel: San Mai III and VG-1 San Mai III; convex edge

Blade Markings: There are 2 versions that I know of:

1) Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

S7NVEQ6l.jpg

2) Side 1:
TRAIL MASTER logo
VG-1 SAN MAi III logo

Side 2:
COLD STEEL logo
MADE IN JAPAN

wSMyaVll.jpg

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon

==================================================================================

Carbon V Recon Scout

Since the Recon Scout is basically just a shortened TM, I figured I would include it as well. I believe there are 3 versions of the CV Recon Scout:

1. First pre-production batch that was only available to the military for Desert Storm. Has the Gen 1 ricasso/choil, and a slight recurve blade. Wasn’t even called the Recon Scout yet, and there were no markings on the knife (sterile). The blade had more of a parkerized finish than the later epoxy coating.

UqZaGNTl.jpg
usxjiKPl.jpg

Period: 1990 – 1991

Blade Markings: None

2. First production version offered to the public. Was still Gen 1, and was now called the Recon Scout, but they were still sterile, and the recurve was gone. Blade was epoxy-coated. The 1992 catalog says that they were a Special Projects exclusive. I don’t believe they even came in a box, just a bag, and included a little blue info card. Most of the ones I have seen for sale are missing the card.

vfW3pf5l.jpg
3iHSnBgl.jpg

Comparison of recurve version (top) and regular version (bottom):

UfFnzW5l.jpg

Period: 1992 – 1994. It is shown in the 1992 Special Projects catalog and the 93/94 catalog.

Blade Markings: None

3. Final CV version, with Gen 2 ricasso/choil, epoxy coating, and markings.

60FOnPAl.jpg
QYCdtXLl.jpg

Period: 1995 – 2006

Blade Markings (stamped):

1) Side 1:
COLD STEEL

Side 2:
USA CARBON V

vH93FMil.jpg

Sheath: Black Cordura/nylon (1990 – 1997); Black leather (1998 – 2003); Secure-Ex (2004 – 2006)

Misc: I acquired a very unusual Recon Scout off eBay a while back. It had the Gen 1 ricasso/choil, and was parkerized like the recurved version, but didn’t have the recurve, and it had large “billboard” markings on both sides of the blade. Only one I’ve ever seen, so thinking it may be some sort of prototype or promotional piece.

7g8JgY1l.jpg
hPOE8L2l.jpg

On the one side it is pretty easy to read COLD STEEL with VENTURA CA underneath. On the other side, can see RECON SCOUT easily enough, but underneath is not complete. Can make out what looks like ARBON and TEEL, so pretty sure it said CARBON V STEEL.

C2CbXD0l.jpg
Excellent post:) and beautiful pictures. It is very interesting to follow the history of these models. I have a Recon Scout which is marked "China" on the ricasso. Someone told me it could be a legit modell because Cold steel switched to China for a couple of years after Camillus quit their production. It was purchased in 2008. I have no idea if that is true or not. Maybe it is just a fake China copy? Could anyone please shed some light on this?

Back