History of Umnumzaan changes

I picked up the new Umnumzann in person yesterday from Blade Gallery. I still am not sure whether i like the Wilson Combat starburst more or the partial hatch design of the CRK version. But, this one was made in Dec 2020 and cost $100 less. It is still s35vn, but I am happier with this than a Wilson Combat version that is 8 years old, out of spec, and cost $100 more.

So, the story takes another twist. I sent back the Wilson Combat and asked for a refund on the return sheet. But I guess the women I spoke with intercepted my return, found the newest possible Star-Tac and sent it back out to me. This arrived today. And, of course, even though I bought the CRK Umnumzaan a few weeks ago, I am keeping this one too :).

DOApKHY.jpg

I also have a S45VN Umnumzaan Tanto on the way to add to these two:

m5wgZYH.jpg

Now you’re talking. There is nothing wrong at all with keeping and having all three!

I think Chris Reeve knives are like Corvettes. Most guys just appreciate them, keep them in the garage (safe queen) and admire them.

They don’t use them for much, as they are so expensive. There are “beater” or “user” knives for that.

But there are folks that actually use them as tools, too, and they hold up very well.

So if you decide to actually use one daily, as in picking one and it’s your EDC knife, and appreciate the other two, or decide to rotate them, or never use any of them, well...

Welcome to the dilemma just about every other guy (or gal) on this forum has been faced with when they started buying CRK knives, after almost also certainly having said “I’d never pay that much for a knife!” earlier in their knife appreciation journey!

Congratulations on your growing collection! I think I’m at 7 or 8 right now.. so I can relate.

Now you’re talking. There is nothing wrong at all with keeping and having all three!

Welcome to the dilemma . . .

Congratulations on your growing collection!

Thx. I am loving the dilemma for sure. And my collection is growing very fast. :).

I went in because they had an error on the website in Jan, saying they just got in a RH Zaan. I was there the first thing in the morning the next day, walking in excited and everyone looked at me like I was nuts. They pulled up the website and quickly realized it was a LH version they had got in.....I still walked out with a new stone for my EP, some Nano oil and a few other misc things. LOL

Possibly I missed something but I did not know there was a BG42 Umnumzaan??? What years were they made? Never seen one.

Just an FYI that that the Startac S45VN is starting to ship from WC. Their website still states S35, but I received mine today and the card and blade (‘45’) both indicate S45.

That’s great news — can’t wait for mine to arrive!

EDIT: Just visited the website, which now shows the Star-Tac as being out of stock, but available starting on January 31, 2022! 😱

Last edited:
That’s great news — can’t wait for mine to arrive!

EDIT: Just visited the website, which now shows the Star-Tac as being out of stock, but available starting on January 31, 2022! 😱

Wow, and I thought a 3 month wait was a long time. Maybe the 2022 version will be in Magnacut.

I was really looking forward to finally receiving my first Zaan -- but the news today about the Star-Tac was depressing. So depressing, in fact, that I started to play Zaan Roulette, and found a new one in stock at Blade Gallery.

The rest is history... :)👍

Last edited:
Back