1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

HK vs Benchmade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Nephron44, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nephron44

Nephron44 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Hey all!

I am a big fan of Benchmade and have many of their knives. I know Benchmade doesn't make ALL HK knives, but some of the HK models on the Benchmade website look pretty cool, and they come with the Benchmade warranty!

So here is my question...how do the Benchmade made HK knives compare to the normal Benchmade knives? I have an HK Turmoil otf and it seems pretty nice, but I have zero experience with their other folders and fixed blades. Are they a good budget alternative to Benchmade?

Thanks!

2. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    My experience has been very good. Ive owned a 14715 and handled several of the USA made HKs, and quality seems to be on par. The 14715 was just about as good as any other BM Ive owned. Centered, solid, and smooth. Tough, rock solid knife.

3. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    My guess would be that the US made HK models will essentially be the same as a comparable BM. The Chinese models will likely be of lesser quality due to the price point.

4. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    The HK models made by Benchmade in the U.S. are every bit as good as any Benchmade and quite a bit less than a comparable Benchmade model. The only downside is that they all seem to come with black blades only.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  5. Slumblor

Slumblor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I own a 14716, as well as 2 Chinese made HKs. The US made HK14716 is definitely higher quality and material and right up there with my Benchmades. But the other budget HKs are pretty decent knives that have good quality for the price and good value.

6. tbenedict

tbenedict

Feb 9, 2010
    I was really wondering how the Patrol compared to the CLA, but think I've decided both are too big for my normal carry (office job).

7. stonproject

stonproject

Nov 22, 2013
    I had a hk otf and bm otf.

identical build quality.

8. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I have been very impressed with Benchmade's HK knives. Especially the 14715 and 14716 models. So impressed, in fact, that I would consider both of them as replacements for my small and large EDC folders if anything happened to the knives I now own. Fantastic products. IMHO, much better than most of the Griptilian series.

9. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I have had 3 of BM's HK knives. Great knives!!

10. sinkrate

sinkrate

Mar 21, 2015
    I guess i'm unlucky, i own a HK Mini Axis, and right out of the box it has serve vertical play, returned it and bought another mini-grip. I somehow feel the Benchmade is a little more well built than the HK line, just my 2cents.

-Kevin