Hog Hunting with knives

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Friend and fellow knifemaker Tom Krein has put together an invitational hog hunt (for later this year).

I'm posting this here because I've been invited to participate, along with 4 other knifemakers. We're each designing a "pig sticker" knife that we'll then use to take a hog down personally. :D

Anyway, there will likely be a raffle to win a spot in the hunt, as well as other prizes - including custom knives donated by all of us.

Here's the link: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413916

It's not everyday that you get the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is...and I'm really looking forward to it. When I get the knife finished, I'll post a pic here for y'all to look at. It's still a ways off, of course...(and I'm still swamped with orders that desperately need to be finished first)...but I thought I'd at least mention it.

Looks like fun!

Oh, and here's a pic of the knife I started:

attachment.php

Hopefully, by the time I'm finished, it will look something like this one:

pigsticker.gif

The first two will be made of 1/4" thick 5160 steel. With a hollow grind, should be plenty light, yet strong. And with a convex edge...should slide in-n-out pretty easy.

The holes are there....well, because they're cool. :D :p

I'm sure somebody has a more scientific explanation...I put them there thinking they might make extracting the knife easier. We'll see. ;)

That's a great idea for a hunt. Personally, if I were hunting hog with a knife, I'd prefer one designed to hold the end of a long staff.

munk

Sounds like fun Daniel!

I like your blade design and handle. I am a little nervous about the forefinger ring though: if that hog jerks good enough it might bust your finger. I'm sure you put it there to aid in retention, butI wonder if a subhilt like you put on some of your other knives might be better suited.

I'm envious. Be safe, and "bring home the bacon":)

When I was a younger man I had heard of throwing knives for hunting wild boar .
The only knowledge I have of hand held knives and pig sticking involves dogs which hold the animal at bay . There is a lot more to do with it than that . This is a family forum so I will leave it there .

If you mean leaping on or at a Hog or wild boar ? I would employ the longest blade feasible and a guard for the hand/wrist . These beasts are not only tenacious they are bad tempered to boot .

They used to be hunted with spears . These spears had devices on them to prevent the boar from climbing the shaft of the spear they are impaled upon and attacking the wielder .

I guess it all depends on exactly what animal you are hunting and who is backing you up .

This will be a guided hunt with dogs on private land. :D

But even though it's tamer than what our ancestors faced...it'll still be a wild time, for sure. :thumbup: I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

FWIW, the blade is 9" long.

Sorry to be a wet blanket...but, be prepared for some leg injuries (ankle or knee twisted, lacerations). Ought to be a hell of a lot of fun, but the dings are virtually guaranteed....even a market sized 220 lb. hog can clean your legs out from under you. Have fun! :D

Here's a "lifesize" 1:1 drawing:

(if your monitor is set to standard dpi)

pigsticker2.gif

forgot to mention the ring thing....

I plan on using the ring for extracting only if I can't get it out. The handle is similar to my WSK design, but a bit shorter (top to bottom)....length is the same, though. So, there's enough room behind the ring for a full hand grip. The ring will still work like a guard.

jurassicnarc - I hear ya. I've got some leather boots, heavy pants, leather overcoat..all in the works. I'll be ready for battle. :D

The hogs we are going for are all trophy-sized, and may require two of us attacking at once. The dogs do keep the hogs distracted pretty good...but there's always a risk, of course.

Anybody seen Old Yeller?

:D

Dan it sounds like a lot of fun . If they are well fed there are few better feasts than a roast hog . If you are into scraping hides you could get some interesting sheaths out of it .

I look forward to your recounting of the tale .

From what I've seen, the dogs hold the pig while you stick it. Your design seems a bit small though. You want to stick it deep and then work it like a car jack, pumping it up and down. Personally I would want a kris kerris.

Kevin the grey said:
Dan it sounds like a lot of fun . If they are well fed there are few better feasts than a roast hog . If you are into scraping hides you could get some interesting sheaths out of it .

I look forward to your recounting of the tale .

pigskin is rather thin and wouldnt be a good sheath material...Maybe for a liner it would work ok...

Be careful Dan...My cousin raises hogs for slaughter and THEY can be some of the meanest critter's you are likely to run across on farm...And the part about them taking your legs out from under you without trying? Believe it!!:D

Safety first or not at all. Remember that protective gear! Something like this ought to be fine:

attachment.php

It might be a bit noisy but the hogs ought to be more worried about the dogs.

Will everyone be travelling together as a group?

Attachments

• armor.jpg
    armor.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 962
You'd better up the blade lenght to 12 or 14 inches Dan,the last time this topic came up (I posted it) most guy's said 12 inch was the shortest they'd use.

Considering what you're up to...I'd go for a gladus sized blade! :eek:

Krull said:
You'd better up the blade lenght to 12 or 14 inches Dan,the last time this topic came up (I posted it) most guy's said 12 inch was the shortest they'd use.

Considering what you're up to...I'd go for a gladus sized blade! :eek:

Most folks find a 9inch blade to be ok for a hogs. One of the members here has posted pics of huim hunting with his trailmaster which is a 9 incher.

Make sure you reach OVER the hog to the other side away from you. When you stick him it will spin TOWARDS the pain and slash anything there. Make sure YOU are on the other side of the hog. Not that I've done it, but that's what I've always heard from the guys in Brazil.

I used tio hunt on Fred Gipsons ranch; his son Beck had some good stories. I still get a tear when I watch "Old Yeller". Al

As I'm not all that familiar with the risks, and what goes into a hog hunt I can't cast too many stones your way. Be careful. They may try to stab you back. I've seen some might long tusks on some of the bigger porkers.

I hunted hog yesterday morning and had no problems.

Well...the waitress *did* forget to bring a fork with my bacon...but I did okay.

30 some years ago my friends dad went boar hunting in pa-
he ended up with the state record-thing was a monster-

cant remember -but i think it tasted like chicken-lol

Back