Hog Hunting with knives

That is one heck of a carry system you have there. Great idea to get some weight off of the belt, and concealment looks perfect. Awsome!

Well...maybe I should've listened to those who said the finger ring was a bad idea....

HogHunt015.jpg

NOT!!!!

HogHunt016.jpg

Got myself a spotted boar and had a heckuva good time. :thumbup:

HogHunt030.jpg

Jeez!
Get you out in the woods and you get goofy!!

Good for you! LOL:D

Nice looking piggy you got there.
Now... how'd the knife and rig work out?

Daniel

The combo sheath rig that you have on you looks very interesting... Care to share some information on it?

BTW, I am curious as to how you manage to get that close to a boar so that you can use a knife on them. I would surely appreciate some info / comments on this.

Thank you in advance,
George

...BTW, I am curious as to how you manage to get that close to a boar so that you can use a knife on them. I would surely appreciate some info / comments on this...

Wild boar are very trusting creatures, and will come up to you if you sit in the brush and call gently 'here, piggy, here piggy". you can then stick 'em when they are not looking.

NOT

however, I imagine he did it with a variation on the following.

Back home in Alabama, they use dogs, normally dressed heavily in armour to cover their vitals and prevent goreing, the dogs chase down and hold the pig long enough for the hunter to come in and finish it with a thrust behind the front leg into the heart, of course if the dogs have a bad hold, and it slips, the frail human can get sliced by their tusks, as can the dogs. occupational hazard. (dan, now you know why a long knife is a good thing, and why european wild boar hunters use boar spears or hunting swords) wild boar sausages! Mmmmm Good!

Wild boar are very trusting creatures, and will come up to you if you sit in the brush and call gently 'here, piggy, here piggy". you can then stick 'em when they are not looking.

NOT

however, I imagine he did it with a variation on the following.

Back home in Alabama, they use dogs, normally dressed heavily in armour to cover their vitals and prevent goreing, the dogs chase down and hold the pig long enough for the hunter to come in and finish it with a thrust behind the front leg into the heart, of course if the dogs have a bad hold, and it slips, the frail human can get sliced by their tusks, as can the dogs. occupational hazard. (dan, now you know why a long knife is a good thing, and why european wild boar hunters use boar spears or hunting swords) wild boar sausages! Mmmmm Good!

Thank you for your reply. That is what I thought. But as you may have guessed I have zero experience with this. I am still amazed though by the fact that the hunter has to run after the dogs (who have to run after the wild boar) and still keep up with the pace so that he makes it in time for the killing. That should demand a very good physical strength.

Dan I hope thats not hog blood on your unprotected skin ?

Were these Russian wild boars ?

You do know they often have rotyerskinoff disease ?

Symptoms are uncontrollably sticking yer tongue out , eye squinting and goofy lopsided smiles .

Dan I hope thats not hog blood on your unprotected skin ?

Were these Russian wild boars ?

You do know they often have rotyerskinoff disease ?

Symptoms are uncontrollably sticking yer tongue out , eye squinting and goofy lopsided smiles .

Wow, this is serious stuff:eek:! Are you certain about the symptoms? It appears they are present in the pictures;).

Very cool stuff Dan. I like the fedora. :thumbup: I am definately a hat guy too.

ROTFLMAO!!!! :D :p

kronckew has it right. We use bay dogs to sniff out the hogs and then catch dogs to latch on and hold it down until we can catch up and stick 'em.

Here's an action pic:
(Luc Burnley getting his hog)

IMG_0427.jpg

shappa - the rig was perfect and easy to access. The knife, of course, went in like it was slicing butter...no kiddin. That is a pointy, stabby sonuvagun. Two quick pokes and he was done for. We pulled out the heart to check it out...went in one side and out the other....somehow in the adrenal rush...managed to have pretty good aim too. ;)

Sutcliffe - the camo...:D....they're the only clothes I was willing to get hog blood on....:p

Wow. Those pics are great. Looks like a really good time Dan. I think the finger ring is the best way to ensure that your hand isn't going to slide up on the blade when the handle gets stickey with blood.

Awesome. When can I come over and have some pork chops?

Congrats on your hog Dan!!!! It must be very gratifying to hunt like the Bowie brothers are said to have hunted. The story goes that they would run down a deer on horseback and then jump off onto the deer while sticking it with one of their big knives.:eek: :D :cool: :thumbup:

Nice hog Dan! I'm glad that your hunt was a success!

As far as the other white meat, the meat on alot of the wild pigs looks like beef almost. Quite abit redder than domestic pork.

I see an american bulldog, some pitties, and some black mouth curs. Do I get a prize? Gotta love manly man dogs!

Git 'r done Dan :thumbup: Looks like you were having way too much fun. Good to see some them boys with you were packing iron, friend of mine would have been in bad trouble one day if he hadn't of been. Great pics, and looks like a great time, heck I'm jealous. :D

Sarge

Nice hog Dan! I'm glad that your hunt was a success!

As far as the other white meat, the meat on alot of the wild pigs looks like beef almost. Quite abit redder than domestic pork.

I see an american bulldog, some pitties, and some black mouth curs. Do I get a prize? Gotta love manly man dogs!

No prize for you!! That is not an American Bulldog....its an Argentine Dogo!

Just like the one sitting at my feet!:D

We had a great time!

Tom

The old ones where there was a cloud and then a random fist followed by #&@%$&!!! and lightning bolts to clue the readers that tremendous events were happening that couldn't be chronicled by mere ink and paper alone. With all those teeth, tusks, sharp pointy things and backup is it common for the wrong mammal to end up getting harvested?

Back