Hog Hunting with knives

While very Chaotic, it is not too bad if you are watching yourself and your blade! The dogs pretty much latch on and then stay there!

Tom

It can be a bit unnerving to see a knife so close to the dogs...but IIUC it's rare for somebody to stick a dog instead of a hog.

Darn it! I'm jealous, you guys sure have alot of fun in boar country.:thumbup: We don't have any wild boar because of our cold climate and vegetation. :( I have to settle for domestic hogs on the back country farm. No comparison for the real deal, but they still bite and squeal and help keep the grocery bill down.:D

So ? Has anyone asked how it tasted ? Has this little piggy gone to the smoker yet ? That hide would make colorful frontier style sheaths . It would be a good souvenir as well .

Congrats, Dan. That must be a great feeling of accomplishment, to have made the blade and used it yourself in the hunt. Very cool stuff!

Chris

No prize for you!! That is not an American Bulldog....its an Argentine Dogo!

Just like the one sitting at my feet!:D

We had a great time!

Tom

Tom, I can see it now that I look closer. Dog is too athletic of build for most AB. The fact that its ears weren't cropped threw me at first. Was I right about the rest of them?

Congratulations to all of you on a succesful hunting trip!

don't feel too bad, stevo....I think the dog in that pic might actually be a mix = Dogo/Am. Bulldog

And yes, you got the others right. ;)

:p

Daniel, Nice job & Congratulations!

I don't come on here very often and my knife forging is all rough. But I hunt hogs mainly with a longbow and self forged heads. A couple of my friends who hunt with knives asked me to come up with a sticker. Since they would be my R&D staff and I didn't have to use my knife, this is what I came up with. They wanted a larger finger guard to keep the hand from slipping down the blade in the excitement of the moment. Top knife was the final design...sharp top & bottom edge. Positive thumb spot and handle finished in 50 grit for better grip. My quality isn't up to yours but thought you might like to see what some other Stickers are using :) Jeff
BensPigSticker17.jpg

same here - 2nd one down is great! Though I do like them all. Great designs.

Thanks for sharing!

google' boardogs' an aussie site should be easy to find, hog hunting is a huge sport there with knives, spears, guns, almost any weapon and the dogs are bred and crossed just for the purpose. its an interesting site.

While very Chaotic, it is not too bad if you are watching yourself and your blade! The dogs pretty much latch on and then stay there!

Tom

:D While speed reading it came out :
While very Catholic, it is not too bad if you are watching yourself and your blade! The dogs pretty much latch on and then stay there!

Definetely had to re-read that one.:)

Anyone else wanna go and buy a Argentine Dogo after looking them up on google??

Now I want one!!!

:D I already have one!!

My next dog will most likely be an American Pitbull Terrier again though! I just like the smaller compact package!

Tom

anybody go here? Boars, Boars and more Boars.

Some of the best wild boar and pig dog, hog dog action photos on the web. See how we hunt hogs in Australia with dogs and a knife.

G'day my name is Ian Colley, welcome to Boardogs.

If hunting offends please leave now.

Enjoy your stay with Boar Dogs.

If this is your first visit click HERE

for the welcome! I just checked out the dogs on the boars videos on the aussie site with the hogs being stuck, wow great vids you guys have to check out the way these aussies and their dogs handle these boars! dogs are very impressive. I believe from these vids of the hogs being stuck while held that the most important thing is to have dogs with grit hanging on to the hogs ears, so you can stick them without being tusked. i know i'm a girl and just 19, but after seeing these vids i see how over hyped americans make walking up and sticking a pig in the heart while a few pits or american bulls hold it. i used to think it was pretty brave thing to do but i am 123 pounds and i'd do it! the dogs aren't going to let it go and you wait till they have it clearly subued.

Back